Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Do strimmers hold more promise than they deliver?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

I don't know about you but when I've finished I feel vibrated to &^%$ and wonder whether I would have been better off with the shears?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I use my to get the weeds out of the cracks in the pavement. Shears wouldn't do such a great job with that. Part of the problem is the amount of focus required to use the thing.  If you are not paying attention, you could really hurt yourself.

Before I go too far, are we talking about the same thing?

• User profile image
    spivonious

String trimmers? Around here we call them "weed whackers". Mine doesn't vibrate through the handle at all. It's electric; I can see how a gas-powered one would vibrate.

• User profile image
    rhm

My problem with them is the 'string' is nylon (at least on the ones I've used) and breaks pretty easily on anything solid. It's been a while since I used one, but I remember spending an awful lot of the time extracting a new length of cord from the spool. I wonder if aramid fibres (kevlar) could be used instead...

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

rhm said:

My problem with them is the 'string' is nylon (at least on the ones I've used) and breaks pretty easily on anything solid. It's been a while since I used one, but I remember spending an awful lot of the time extracting a new length of cord from the spool. I wonder if aramid fibres (kevlar) could be used instead...

Usually you're supposed to bump them, and it makes the string advance from the spool.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

I completely thought you had just made a typo in that subject line...

this thread is way less interesting than I hoped it would be.

• User profile image
    Bass

Duncanma said:

Winner of the thread.

• User profile image
    spivonious

CreamFilling512 said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Usually you're supposed to bump them, and it makes the string advance from the spool.

Mine specifically says not to bump. The line advances to the correct length automatically.

• User profile image
    figuerres

rhm said:

Bah ! if the sting breaks just get the heavy duty kind with the steel blade!!! 

gonna WHACK them weeds!!!

I have seen a tractor attachemnt that can take out bresh and small trees that when not running is like big steel lobes dull as heck but they spin really fast and just beat the heck out of anything in the way...

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

spivonious said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Mine specifically says not to bump. The line advances to the correct length automatically.

Oooo fancy!

• User profile image
    Ray7

rhm said:

Got one here. Had to adjust the spool about every two or three minutes while edging the garden. So much for the automatic spool feed.

No workout either. 

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Ray7 said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Got one here. Had to adjust the spool about every two or three minutes while edging the garden. So much for the automatic spool feed.

No workout either. 

I got a petrol strimmer for cutting our 'meadow' in the front of the house (electric one burned out as it couldn't cope).

The nylon string breaks when it hits something hard -- it you're careful you don't have to replace it so often.

The ground keepers at the offices where I work (actually a converted farm) are real strimmer experts -- fast and precise and I've never seen them fiddling with the string!  Must be a Zen thing Tongue Out

Herbie

• User profile image
    kettch

Dr Herbie said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

I got a petrol strimmer for cutting our 'meadow' in the front of the house (electric one burned out as it couldn't cope).

The nylon string breaks when it hits something hard -- it you're careful you don't have to replace it so often.

The ground keepers at the offices where I work (actually a converted farm) are real strimmer experts -- fast and precise and I've never seen them fiddling with the string!  Must be a Zen thing Tongue Out

Herbie

Breaking the string is preferable to sawing into something you'd rather stay intact.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Duncanma said:

This thread is on fire - how can you say it is boring?

• User profile image
    msemack

Never heard the term "strimmer" before.  I've heard it called "weed whacker" and "string trimmer".

I pull mine out probably every other time I mow.  I use it to trim the grass right at the edge of the house foundation, in that <1inch gap the mower won't touch.  We also have a kid's play set in the back yard that I have to trim around.  (Eventually I want to put down mulch or some kind of edging around the house so I don't need to do this.)

Probably the biggest use for my trimmer is for along the edge of the sidewalk and driveway.  My trimmer converts into an edger by spinning the head around so it trims vertically.  It does a great job giving the sidewalk and driveway a "fresh from the barber" look.

Mine feeds the string automatically when it gets to short.  Never had to even think about it.  Crud, now I wonder how much string is left in it.

This is the model of trimmer I have, BTW.  http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=23463

The battery power definitely has its limits, but it is capable enough for my lot (0.35 acres).  I have a few other Black and Decker yard tools that use the same batteries, so it is easy to interchange, and I always have a spare fully-charged battery ready to go.  The battery is nice because I don't need to drag a cord around, and it doesn't need the care/maintenance that a gas engine needs.

• User profile image
    Ian2

msemack said:

Never heard the term "strimmer" before.  I've heard it called "weed whacker" and "string trimmer".

I pull mine out probably every other time I mow.  I use it to trim the grass right at the edge of the house foundation, in that <1inch gap the mower won't touch.  We also have a kid's play set in the back yard that I have to trim around.  (Eventually I want to put down mulch or some kind of edging around the house so I don't need to do this.)

Probably the biggest use for my trimmer is for along the edge of the sidewalk and driveway.  My trimmer converts into an edger by spinning the head around so it trims vertically.  It does a great job giving the sidewalk and driveway a "fresh from the barber" look.

Mine feeds the string automatically when it gets to short.  Never had to even think about it.  Crud, now I wonder how much string is left in it.

This is the model of trimmer I have, BTW.  http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=23463

The battery power definitely has its limits, but it is capable enough for my lot (0.35 acres).  I have a few other Black and Decker yard tools that use the same batteries, so it is easy to interchange, and I always have a spare fully-charged battery ready to go.  The battery is nice because I don't need to drag a cord around, and it doesn't need the care/maintenance that a gas engine needs.

This looks like the closest match over here:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gardentools/productdetails/catno/GLC2500/

I've had a few petrol based so maybe its time to try something new ..

• User profile image
    msemack

Ian2 said:
    msemack said:
    *snip*

This looks like the closest match over here:

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gardentools/productdetails/catno/GLC2500/

I've had a few petrol based so maybe its time to try something new ..

I have seen some newer cordless trimmer that use Lithium Batteries or are higher voltage.  They might be more compelling:

I have also seen similar Lithium Battery models from the other major power tool companies at our local Home Depot.

For me personally, I use some other tools that share the same battery (http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/CategoryOverview.aspx?cPath=1498.4945).  So I probably wouldn't upgrade my trimmer unless I was upgrading everything.  Maybe once B&D comes out with Lithium equivalents of all of them.

As I said before, the battery power definitely has it's limits.  When the battery gets low, it will start to bog and slow down.  I only use it for a total of <30min after mowing to tidy up.  If I had a bigger yard or fancy landscaping to maintain, I would probably use a gas trimmer.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.