Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Security Essentials Earns Top Rating

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report26.pdf

This is quite impressive, especially for a free product. AV-Comparatives gave Microsoft Security Essentials the top rating of Advanced +.

I recently helped a colleague out with viruses, I put MSE on there with manual definition updates (which is nice, because I disconnected the computer from the internet for obvious reasons) and it cleaned up the PC quite nicely. The sad part is McAfee was on there (and appeared updated) but the computer still was overun. This is a pretty revolutionary step, free anti virus from a reputable company outperforming many paid services.

If Microsoft Security Essentials becomes quite popular, I wonder if it will become a target, and I wonder if Microsoft is ready for that.

I think the bigger issue is the fake anti viruse ads. I really think it might come down to actively blocking these websites as well Sad I truly feel sorry for those who are tricked by the fake anti virus ads. I am not sure where these come from, I've seen them pop up at websites that appear legitimate to me. Sure, it might be some random rumor tech site, but it was liked to me from Google News or Bing news. Hell, I have even seen them on legitimate sites like Neowin or Digg, but the admins promptly remove those ads. What is up with these ad providers? How is this legal?

These sites look pretty convincing.

Generic Forum Image

If you click yes, at least in Chrome, the browser prompts you for a download, but it must cache it or something right away, because MSE freaked out and took care of the issue before the file was even downloaded, let alone executed.

Generic Forum Image

Maybe I can feel good about grandma having MSE on her system. Not really sure. Would the user get confused there are two alert messages? Would they think the real alert was indeed the fake one (honestly MSE's alert messages really don't seem too authentic, it just seems a little weird)?

All in all good job Microsoft, keep up the good work. But please be ready for when these viruses want to compromise Security Essentials and maybe come up with a way to block these bogus ads. I'm counting on you.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

What is up with these ad providers? How is this legal?

It's not - http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/securitycenter/blog/rogue-makers-facing-indictments

• User profile image
    turrican

Let me see the future for you :

Just a matter of time before Symantec ( or Opera lolz ) sue Microsoft for putting them out of business by creating a secure OS and a better AV product than them. Ofcourse, Microsoft will lose and atleast EU will shut down the MS AV product and make it illegal because Symantec and other AV corps are too big to fail.

Although, this will backfire and atleast techie people will get very angry... so the EU will legalize MS AV again but will force Symantec and other AV corps to also put their products out for free. ...additional amendments will be passed into the law to first force a ballot screen for AV products in Windows and secondly, there will be a special AV-TAX on all PCs bought. ( Even those without Windows ).

This time, people will not get angry, because their attention span usually do not last this long during all this law process, hence "everyone" will be happy.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

turrican said:

Let me see the future for you :

Just a matter of time before Symantec ( or Opera lolz ) sue Microsoft for putting them out of business by creating a secure OS and a better AV product than them. Ofcourse, Microsoft will lose and atleast EU will shut down the MS AV product and make it illegal because Symantec and other AV corps are too big to fail.

Although, this will backfire and atleast techie people will get very angry... so the EU will legalize MS AV again but will force Symantec and other AV corps to also put their products out for free. ...additional amendments will be passed into the law to first force a ballot screen for AV products in Windows and secondly, there will be a special AV-TAX on all PCs bought. ( Even those without Windows ).

This time, people will not get angry, because their attention span usually do not last this long during all this law process, hence "everyone" will be happy.

I'm not going to even begin to point out why the Opera/IE case is a bad comparison to the antivirus case, in the way you've used it above...

• User profile image
    intelman

GoddersUK said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I'm not going to even begin to point out why the Opera/IE case is a bad comparison to the antivirus case, in the way you've used it above...

I could see this happening if Security Essentials becomes bundled with Windows. I am not sure what would happen if OEMs decided to bundle it. 

Anti Virus manufactures have already fought back saying that Microsoft's offering isn't enough. Maybe it isn't, but in anycase, if it came to it, I bet they would try to make a big stink.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

intelman said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

I could see this happening if Security Essentials becomes bundled with Windows. I am not sure what would happen if OEMs decided to bundle it. 

Anti Virus manufactures have already fought back saying that Microsoft's offering isn't enough. Maybe it isn't, but in anycase, if it came to it, I bet they would try to make a big stink.

That's one of the reasons the comparison was broken though - MSE isn't bundled with Windows.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Microsoft won't bundle it with the OS entirely because of the IE/Netscape case. I highly doubt any OEMs will either given the fact that the competition is paying the OEMs to do so (and there is no logical reason for Microsoft to do the same).

Best case scenario - Microsoft continues making Security Essentials an optional free download for years to come, and resists adding tons of bloat and bad features that have driven people away from Norton AV and similar junkware.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

ManipUni said:

Microsoft won't bundle it with the OS entirely because of the IE/Netscape case. I highly doubt any OEMs will either given the fact that the competition is paying the OEMs to do so (and there is no logical reason for Microsoft to do the same).

Best case scenario - Microsoft continues making Security Essentials an optional free download for years to come, and resists adding tons of bloat and bad features that have driven people away from Norton AV and similar junkware.

I an ideal world AV companies should never have become as big as they did.

A few years back, there were always headlines about new vulnerabilities found in windows. Even now there are security updates to the OS, so if it is critical, then windows machines get the update.

I just wish this could also be extended to malware and so forth. In WPF Microsoft released a Ribbon control about 2 years ago that they still have not found the time to complete mainly because ther are thinking about their third-party colleagues (a few 3rd party ISV's companies must have complained)

In Silverlight you have a pretty comprehensive application platform, I wish this approach to security was the same, there is no reason at all that they should not take McCaffe or whoever's market share and roll this via windows update.

• User profile image
    Bass

Microsoft could basically lock out all 3rd party developers from Windows at any time (eg. using the Apple method). The thing is, they are forced to by law to ensure a vibrant 3rd party ecosystem around Windows and go out of their way to gimp their own products and OS so that others can make a living writing software. This is the cusp of what the anti-trust regulators want from Microsoft.

• User profile image
    turrican

GoddersUK said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

I know... but pun was intended. To politicians.

Smiley

• User profile image
    staceyw

GoddersUK said:

What is up with these ad providers? How is this legal?

It's not - http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/securitycenter/blog/rogue-makers-facing-indictments

-  I like MSE also.  Works good and stays out of the way.

- AV is something that should be part of OS anyway.  It is not optional imo, anymore then the NT security subsystem is optional.  Besides, 3rd party AV can still produce their crud that takes over your system and slows it to a crawl.

• User profile image
    exoteric

vesuvius said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

I an ideal world AV companies should never have become as big as they did.

A few years back, there were always headlines about new vulnerabilities found in windows. Even now there are security updates to the OS, so if it is critical, then windows machines get the update.

I just wish this could also be extended to malware and so forth. In WPF Microsoft released a Ribbon control about 2 years ago that they still have not found the time to complete mainly because ther are thinking about their third-party colleagues (a few 3rd party ISV's companies must have complained)

In Silverlight you have a pretty comprehensive application platform, I wish this approach to security was the same, there is no reason at all that they should not take McCaffe or whoever's market share and roll this via windows update.

That leaves anti-virus companies with a particularly unpleasant position: they must argue that Windows cannot be made more safe by default because the bundling of Security Essentials would significantly impact their market share. Their commercial interests are at odds with their own mission: they depend financially on new Windows machines being unprotected.

• User profile image
    Bass

exoteric said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

That leaves anti-virus companies with a particularly unpleasant position: they must argue that Windows cannot be made more safe by default because the bundling of Security Essentials would significantly impact their market share. Their commercial interests are at odds with their own mission: they depend financially on new Windows machines being unprotected.

Welcome to the paradox that affects many, many organizations.

• User profile image
    elmer

exoteric said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Another install ballot screen ??

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.