Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WLM 4, beautiful advertisement placeholder, wow!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    turrican

Look at that beautiful advertisement placeholder there... Just wow! It's really nice!

Although, I am deeply disappointed that it's so small. What were they thinking? This should be atleast 60-70% larger to make it even more pretty.

I can not wait to use WLM 4. I get all fuzzy and warm inside just from the thought of having that pretty thing in my WLM, so comforting that I barely have been able to sleep at nights these past few week.

Generic Forum Image

...and on a serious note, what the h***? Give me a paid version, advertisement free, thank you very much. Good thing A-patch exists.

...sheeesh. :e

• User profile image
    contextfree`

They're moving in the right direction I guess, but they haven't gone far enough.  The app should be in a smaller box within the ad and not the other way around.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The "MSN Today" feature introduced back in 2004 was a great way to stay on top of celebrity news and other human interests stories, but with modern computers getting faster and with even larger displays I think they need to make that particular window even bigger and add more flashy effects and animations so that it really grabs your attention.

Those links for low-interest loans at the bottom of conversation windows remain useful, of course, but I can't help but wonder if Messenger's customers might be better served with full 30-second adverts running in the webcam window, Messenger needs all the support it can get to remain a free service for consumers.

• User profile image
    Bass

W3bbo said:

The "MSN Today" feature introduced back in 2004 was a great way to stay on top of celebrity news and other human interests stories, but with modern computers getting faster and with even larger displays I think they need to make that particular window even bigger and add more flashy effects and animations so that it really grabs your attention.

Those links for low-interest loans at the bottom of conversation windows remain useful, of course, but I can't help but wonder if Messenger's customers might be better served with full 30-second adverts running in the webcam window, Messenger needs all the support it can get to remain a free service for consumers.

It should append "brought to you by Carl's Jr." after every text.

• User profile image
    contextfree`

W3bbo said:

Why does Microsoft even still own MSN?  I can see how it made sense in the early days of the Internet to try and own a content provider, but I don't see how it makes sense now, at least in the form it takes.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

contextfree` said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Why does Microsoft even still own MSN?  I can see how it made sense in the early days of the Internet to try and own a content provider, but I don't see how it makes sense now, at least in the form it takes.

Uhm, what's the difference between you and the real contextfree?

• User profile image
    contextfree`

Sven Groot said:
    contextfree` said:
    *snip*

Uhm, what's the difference between you and the real contextfree?

we are the same person, I just suck at Windows Live ID.

• User profile image
    exoteric

W3bbo said:

I'd like to see them embed video advertisements into the online/offline status indicators (made to look greenish or redish) and have them go full screen when you click on a contact.

Time to take a page out of "the face book"? They have a great balance between content and advertisements while Windows Live seems to be completely fubar, especially when compared to facebook.

• User profile image
    turrican

W3bbo said:

@W3bbo

I will have to agree with you on this too!

Smiley

@contextfree`

That's a fresch way of looking at it, I will try to implement that into my own apps too. hehhe...

• User profile image
    mstefan

I'm sensing the return of Trillian in my future...

• User profile image
    CKurt

mstefan said:

I'm sensing the return of Trillian in my future...

Jup, they really are pushing the limits here... It's a website based size add on a desktop app, and it's just way to big, meaning more people will try to remove it and it will have less impact...

Messenger is most of the time NOT maximise, meaning the add should scale acconding to the rest of the app!

• User profile image
    turrican

CKurt said:
    mstefan said:
    *snip*

Jup, they really are pushing the limits here... It's a website based size add on a desktop app, and it's just way to big, meaning more people will try to remove it and it will have less impact...

Messenger is most of the time NOT maximise, meaning the add should scale acconding to the rest of the app!

I remember how ICQ died a hard death just because Messenger was SO GREAT!!! Small, not messy and clean... WLM is going the route of ICQ imho... just a matter of time before it dies.

EDIT : instead of putting the coolness of WPF on it with AMAZING gUI, they have turned it into some kind of weird browser like client full of ads. What went wrong? ...I'm guessing something in the WLM team changed, someone quit perhaps?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I want a consumer version of Communicator. Sad

• User profile image
    turrican

MasterPie said:

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT OFFICE COMMUNICATOR!!!!!!!!!!

GOODBYE WLM!!!!!!!

I feel REALLY stupid right now!

• User profile image
    CKurt

MasterPie said:

Indeed, they need that! It's skype and more.

But can i use it as comsumer? Can i login with Windows Live ID without Exchange? Can i chat with people on messenger? I guess not Sad

• User profile image
    exoteric

CKurt said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

Indeed, they need that! It's skype and more.

But can i use it as comsumer? Can i login with Windows Live ID without Exchange? Can i chat with people on messenger? I guess not Sad

We have it at work and it's pretty nice. You can chat with people outside the corporate network, like say, customers, friends and family. I don't know what our IT did to set it up but we as users encode external addresses with some naming scheme when adding them and it then works. Since this is "Office" Communicator, don't expect it to be free, except of advertisements. I would imagine some people from the Messenger team joined the Office Communicator team.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

turrican said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT OFFICE COMMUNICATOR!!!!!!!!!!

GOODBYE WLM!!!!!!!

I feel REALLY stupid right now!

Office Communicator isn't all it's cracked up to be: for internal communication it's great, but if you want to use it in conjunction with the real Messenger service then you need to shell out an annual "Federation" fee. You'll also find lots of features no-longer work: I'm pretty sure (though uncertain) that things like webcams don't work when connecting to the real Messenger or YIM services from Office Communicator.

• User profile image
    turrican

W3bbo said:
    turrican said:
    *snip*

Office Communicator isn't all it's cracked up to be: for internal communication it's great, but if you want to use it in conjunction with the real Messenger service then you need to shell out an annual "Federation" fee. You'll also find lots of features no-longer work: I'm pretty sure (though uncertain) that things like webcams don't work when connecting to the real Messenger or YIM services from Office Communicator.

That's too bad but on the other hand, it's "only" for business. Although, it's still bad. A business should be able to attach this to YIM / WLM too, say to give support to customers and such.

I'll wait for OCS 2010 (14) and install it. Will use this for internal business and family contacts and test it out. Really curious on it. A NEW TOY is always good! hehhe

I personally do not mind the fee, seems well worth it. ( my personal opinion and might not be the case for others )

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.