Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Natal has been branded Kinect at E3:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/xbox/

More announcements expected today ...

• User profile image
    CKurt

Is there a keynote live stream ? I tought  the keynote was tomorrow ?

• User profile image
    Bas

It would have been a lot more interesting if they had shown off any actual games. All I saw so far was a bunch of minigames and a guy pretending he was using Natal while footage of a Star Wars game played in front of him. Trust Microsoft to mess up the unveiling of such impressive technology.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I see the clever wordplay in use: Kinetic + Connect = Kinect (is it also a reference to Microsoft's "Kin" product?), but I think Natal was a good name anyway.

• User profile image
    Bas

Oh God, the scripted bit with Laura and here twin sister. Didn't anybody figure this was cringe-worthy when they rehearsed it?

Damn. You'd figure they'd be aware of the "MS copying Wii" thing that went on ever since Natal was rumored. And yet they come out with a handfull of lame Wii-like titles and don't even bother to disguise the fact that they've created me-too versions of Wii Sports and Wii Fit?

• User profile image
    Minh

CKurt said:

Is there a keynote live stream ? I tought  the keynote was tomorrow ?

Engadget live stream

Kinect is looking very very interesting

• User profile image
    rhm

Minh said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Engadget live stream

I hope they make an SDK for it. I think the gaming potential, at least with what we currently regard as games software, is limited. But this is the most advanced computer vision technology in a consumer product ever and it has so much potential beyond games.

• User profile image
    Bas

Minh said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Engadget live stream

Really? All I'm seeing is Wii 1.5.

• User profile image
    Minh

Bas said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Really? All I'm seeing is Wii 1.5.

The Dancing game is a killer app I think... there's nothing like that on the wii... ok there is but it only tracks hands

The Exercise app could actually prove workable

Can you see the ads for these games already? They will capture the public imagination. I guarantee it

• User profile image
    Bas

Minh said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

The Dancing game is a killer app I think... there's nothing like that on the wii... ok there is but it only tracks hands

The Exercise app could actually prove workable

Can you see the ads for these games already? They will capture the public imagination. I guarantee it

Admittedly, even though the dancing game looks goofy, I think that's the best thing they showed in the entire presentation. Fitness... could work a lot better than on a controller that simply measures your balance, but still, it's so shameless.

The rest looked like the sort of minigames you find in Raving Rabbids, except as separate games. I really hoped the whole controllerless thing would've enabled people to come up with something groundbreaking, but it's all the same kind of gameplay we've had on Wii for years, except this time you jump instead of waggle. They even managed to make a game in which you are a freaking Jedi look boring. Where was the demo of the Kinect bits in Fable 3? Why didn't Johnny Chung-Lee come out to show something mindblowing? That Forza 'look around in this car' thing would've been amazing in that head-tracking semi-3D thing he came up with.

Man. Playstation Move looked like the worse of the two new technologies to me since it's basically nothing more than a more precise Wiimote. But after this, I think Sony may have the more compelling show lined up for us.

Of course, all this could be a big hit with the target audience, who knows. I'm just dissapointed that target audience is apparently not me.

• User profile image
    Minh

Bas said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Admittedly, even though the dancing game looks goofy, I think that's the best thing they showed in the entire presentation. Fitness... could work a lot better than on a controller that simply measures your balance, but still, it's so shameless.

The rest looked like the sort of minigames you find in Raving Rabbids, except as separate games. I really hoped the whole controllerless thing would've enabled people to come up with something groundbreaking, but it's all the same kind of gameplay we've had on Wii for years, except this time you jump instead of waggle. They even managed to make a game in which you are a freaking Jedi look boring. Where was the demo of the Kinect bits in Fable 3? Why didn't Johnny Chung-Lee come out to show something mindblowing? That Forza 'look around in this car' thing would've been amazing in that head-tracking semi-3D thing he came up with.

Man. Playstation Move looked like the worse of the two new technologies to me since it's basically nothing more than a more precise Wiimote. But after this, I think Sony may have the more compelling show lined up for us.

Of course, all this could be a big hit with the target audience, who knows. I'm just dissapointed that target audience is apparently not me.

Damn! My classic 360 might be on e-bay soon

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Dovella

Mamma mia . AMAZING E3 

Congrat MIcrosoft!!!!!!!!

PS new X360 avaiable only in US ?=

• User profile image
    Minh

Bas said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Getting a hardcore gaming experience out of motion control is a hard problem that will take time I'm sure...

But in the meanwhile, I wouldn't mind getting fit, and practice my killer dance moves

• User profile image
    Bas

Minh said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Getting a hardcore gaming experience out of motion control is a hard problem that will take time I'm sure...

But in the meanwhile, I wouldn't mind getting fit, and practice my killer dance moves

It'll take time.. if they ever tried pursuing it. By the looks of what I've seen today, they won't even bother to.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Bas said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

It'll take time.. if they ever tried pursuing it. By the looks of what I've seen today, they won't even bother to.

New Slim Xbox 360 console will be available in Europe on July 16th

• User profile image
    Bas

Dovella said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Source?

If that's true, that's pretty sweet, because I think that's when the warranty on mine runs out. Guess the next RROD means a Slim.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Dovella said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Yea source please, fantastic they are ready so soon, they did an amazing job keeping it secret, I think the only leak of it I saw was hours before e3.

However, if it then takes weeks/months to hit the UK I'll be annoyed.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Bas said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

Source?

If that's true, that's pretty sweet, because I think that's when the warranty on mine runs out. Guess the next RROD means a Slim.

@bas Microsoft

PS

Gears of War 3 #E3 Video http://youtu.be/2tlNSUFsO_0

Call Of Duty 7 Black Ops E3 2010 Gameplay Video #E3 http://youtu.be/2pGyUV2vttg

Halo reach E3 2010 http://youtu.be/9pnA31r5VJc

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.