Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Stupid me about Xbox360 Slim.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    He said ships today and I went to bestbuy and it is not there, I come back and check, oh duh "shipsssss". Wink

     

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    What do you mean "i come back". You should have camped there...what kind of fanboy are you =)

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    Harlequin said:

    What do you mean "i come back". You should have camped there...what kind of fanboy are you =)

    Not a really dumb one Tongue Out . I was just trying to window shoping actually, I have to X360 already.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    magicalclick said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*

    Not a really dumb one Tongue Out . I was just trying to window shoping actually, I have to X360 already.

    No DVD reader with slot loading, cmon! Sad I started to love PS3's reader

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Ion Todirel said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

    No DVD reader with slot loading, cmon! Sad I started to love PS3's reader

    Yeh, but that touch button on the PS3 should be called 'touch and then wait a bit'

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Ian2 said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    Yeh, but that touch button on the PS3 should be called 'touch and then wait a bit'

    The wii does it best.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    I'm surprised Microsoft has ditched market segmentation for the new Xbox 360 SKU, though at this point in the game: with only 2 to 3 more years left before a new generation product comes out, I can see why they wouldn't want to spend money like that.

     

    The smaller size is welcome, but I'd have thought they'd have learned their lessons from Sony: not to use glossy black plastic for the case as it just shows fingerprint marks. I was hoping for an Xbox 360 Elite-style matt black. I'm also not keen on touch-sensitive controls: they're a gimmick and provide no tactile feedback, I also can't fathom how they would be cheaper too.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    W3bbo said:

    I'm surprised Microsoft has ditched market segmentation for the new Xbox 360 SKU, though at this point in the game: with only 2 to 3 more years left before a new generation product comes out, I can see why they wouldn't want to spend money like that.

     

    The smaller size is welcome, but I'd have thought they'd have learned their lessons from Sony: not to use glossy black plastic for the case as it just shows fingerprint marks. I was hoping for an Xbox 360 Elite-style matt black. I'm also not keen on touch-sensitive controls: they're a gimmick and provide no tactile feedback, I also can't fathom how they would be cheaper too.

    I've seen the fingerprints argument raised in a number of places, and I can't understand how this can possibly be an issue. I've never touched any part of the xbox apart from the power and eject buttons since I took it out of the box and put it down. Why do all these people keep picking up their consoles?

     

    I wish the new 360 came in the classic white color, though. Currently it blends really well with my tv cabinet. Maybe this means I'll be in the market for... a faceplate?

     

    The touch buttons I've never been a fan of. Like W3bbo said, they serve no purpose whatsoever and they're less useful than physical buttons.

     

    Apparently the new 360 goes 'ping!' when a disc is inserted. Like a microwave. For some reason I love that idea.

  • User profile image
    rhm

    Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I've seen the fingerprints argument raised in a number of places, and I can't understand how this can possibly be an issue. I've never touched any part of the xbox apart from the power and eject buttons since I took it out of the box and put it down. Why do all these people keep picking up their consoles?

     

    I wish the new 360 came in the classic white color, though. Currently it blends really well with my tv cabinet. Maybe this means I'll be in the market for... a faceplate?

     

    The touch buttons I've never been a fan of. Like W3bbo said, they serve no purpose whatsoever and they're less useful than physical buttons.

     

    Apparently the new 360 goes 'ping!' when a disc is inserted. Like a microwave. For some reason I love that idea.

    I don't even touch the power and eject buttons on mine as it's all operable from the controller. My red Resident Evil special edition elite looks brand new Smiley

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    Ion Todirel said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

    No DVD reader with slot loading, cmon! Sad I started to love PS3's reader

    Other OS support is missing too.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    The Arcade price drop ($150) makes it a very attractive media center extender device. If it had a blu-ray drive it would be a no-brainer.

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    spivonious said:

    The Arcade price drop ($150) makes it a very attractive media center extender device. If it had a blu-ray drive it would be a no-brainer.

    During Christmas, I believe that XBox 360 Arcades were available for $50 each, which made them very attractive media center extenders. Unfortunately, that deal is no longer available. Sad

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Shining Arcanine said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    Other OS support is missing too.

    Why do people obsess so much about installing other OS's on game consoles? They're game consoles, not PCs. With the PS3 I can kind of understand it because it lets you play around with its special CPU and stuff, but the XBox is essentially PC hardware anyway, so if you want to run another OS, why not just get a PC to begin with?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I've seen the fingerprints argument raised in a number of places, and I can't understand how this can possibly be an issue. I've never touched any part of the xbox apart from the power and eject buttons since I took it out of the box and put it down. Why do all these people keep picking up their consoles?

     

    I wish the new 360 came in the classic white color, though. Currently it blends really well with my tv cabinet. Maybe this means I'll be in the market for... a faceplate?

     

    The touch buttons I've never been a fan of. Like W3bbo said, they serve no purpose whatsoever and they're less useful than physical buttons.

     

    Apparently the new 360 goes 'ping!' when a disc is inserted. Like a microwave. For some reason I love that idea.

    I'm a member of my university's Computer and Video Game society, we block-book rooms in the union building and deploy consoles attached to PCs, when sessions aren't on we kept them stored in our society's lockers, so that involves a lot of moving them around.

     

    As for everyone else: people often take their consoles with them to friends' houses, for example, or move them around within a house (often there's a playroom with a modest sized TV that the consoles are attached to; sometimes the offspring like to play them on the big TV in the living room). Then there's re-arranging furniture in the house or moving around home theatre components. Or maybe people resting or steadying their hands on top of the console whilst they put media into it. So there's a wide range of reasons why people would touch their consoles.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    I've seen the fingerprints argument raised in a number of places, and I can't understand how this can possibly be an issue. I've never touched any part of the xbox apart from the power and eject buttons since I took it out of the box and put it down. Why do all these people keep picking up their consoles?

     

    I wish the new 360 came in the classic white color, though. Currently it blends really well with my tv cabinet. Maybe this means I'll be in the market for... a faceplate?

     

    The touch buttons I've never been a fan of. Like W3bbo said, they serve no purpose whatsoever and they're less useful than physical buttons.

     

    Apparently the new 360 goes 'ping!' when a disc is inserted. Like a microwave. For some reason I love that idea.

    I'm a member of my university's Computer and Video Game society, we block-book rooms in the union building and deploy consoles attached to PCs, when sessions aren't on we kept them stored in our society's lockers, so that involves a lot of moving them around.

     

    As for everyone else: people often take their consoles with them to friends' houses, for example, or move them around within a house (often there's a playroom with a modest sized TV that the consoles are attached to; sometimes the offspring like to play them on the big TV in the living room). Then there's re-arranging furniture in the house or moving around home theatre components. Or maybe people resting or steadying their hands on top of the console whilst they put media into it. So there's a wide range of reasons why people would touch their consoles.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

    Why do people obsess so much about installing other OS's on game consoles? They're game consoles, not PCs. With the PS3 I can kind of understand it because it lets you play around with its special CPU and stuff, but the XBox is essentially PC hardware anyway, so if you want to run another OS, why not just get a PC to begin with?

    "Because we can", the same reason people try to install Linux on toasters.

     

    But to be fair, there are good practical reasons for Linuxing PS3s: it provides the cheapest way to access Cell processors providing certainly the best parallel bang-per-buck available (thanks to Sony selling them as a loss-leader).

     

    There are advantages to be had to the console manufacturers in allowing "Other OS" installs: it allows them to import them into the EU as general purpose computers rather than dedicated gaming consoles which means they pay less import tax duty. I understand that Sony wasn't successful in getting a lower tax rating on the PS3 despite having the Other OS option and so decided it wasn't cost-effective to continue to develop the feature for the PS3Slim.

     

    As for Blu-Ray playback: I imagine one reason for releasing a new Xbox SKU based on accessories rather than internal features is because the licensing costs for BR drives prohibits using them in Microsoft games consoles for the next couple of years. I imagine by 2012 or so the costs to make Blu-Ray drives will be low enough to use them in the 3rd Xbox.

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    W3bbo said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    "Because we can", the same reason people try to install Linux on toasters.

     

    But to be fair, there are good practical reasons for Linuxing PS3s: it provides the cheapest way to access Cell processors providing certainly the best parallel bang-per-buck available (thanks to Sony selling them as a loss-leader).

     

    There are advantages to be had to the console manufacturers in allowing "Other OS" installs: it allows them to import them into the EU as general purpose computers rather than dedicated gaming consoles which means they pay less import tax duty. I understand that Sony wasn't successful in getting a lower tax rating on the PS3 despite having the Other OS option and so decided it wasn't cost-effective to continue to develop the feature for the PS3Slim.

     

    As for Blu-Ray playback: I imagine one reason for releasing a new Xbox SKU based on accessories rather than internal features is because the licensing costs for BR drives prohibits using them in Microsoft games consoles for the next couple of years. I imagine by 2012 or so the costs to make Blu-Ray drives will be low enough to use them in the 3rd Xbox.

    W3bbo said:
    But to be fair, there are good practical reasons for Linuxing PS3s: it provides the cheapest way to access Cell processors providing certainly the best parallel bang-per-buck available (thanks to Sony selling them as a loss-leader).

    Not really. We bought one when I was in the Computing Science department and they were awkward and not particularly well suited. For raw number crunching it was cheaper and easier to buy standard x86 PC's running Linux if you wanted the most bang-for-your-buck computing power.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    Ian2 said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    Yeh, but that touch button on the PS3 should be called 'touch and then wait a bit'

    there is no touch button on the slim version, Sony learned its lesson I guess, anyhow I'm not very fond of touch buttons, they don't make sense on a large device

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.