Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

notepad won't open??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    Windows 7 Ultimate N

     

    notepad.exe won't open, won't run as Administrator, just doesn't show up on screen.

     

    Is there something nasty that immediately closes notepad that is circulating on teh internets?

     

    - confused in text edit land, but serious.

  • User profile image
    kettch

    The EU has decided that bundling Notepad constitutes an illegal abuse of monopoly powers? There will soon be a text editor ballot screen.

     

    No idea really. Does the exe show up in task manager at all? Have you tried Process Monitor?

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    kettch said:

    The EU has decided that bundling Notepad constitutes an illegal abuse of monopoly powers? There will soon be a text editor ballot screen.

     

    No idea really. Does the exe show up in task manager at all? Have you tried Process Monitor?

    LOL .... Good One!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Often malware replaces legit programs with their own binaries. Unfortunately Notepad.exe isn't digitally signed by Microsoft.

     

    Check to see the process is being launched, check your Event Logs, that kind of thing. Failing that, reinstall Windows Big Smile

     

    Say, Windows 7 Ultimate N, is that N for "No Notepad"? Wink BTW, the N editions are for Europe, yet you're a 'merkin, how'd you get your hands on that?

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    W3bbo said:

    Often malware replaces legit programs with their own binaries. Unfortunately Notepad.exe isn't digitally signed by Microsoft.

     

    Check to see the process is being launched, check your Event Logs, that kind of thing. Failing that, reinstall Windows Big Smile

     

    Say, Windows 7 Ultimate N, is that N for "No Notepad"? Wink BTW, the N editions are for Europe, yet you're a 'merkin, how'd you get your hands on that?

    N editions are for EU?  I have a Micro-ISV Empower subscription as to how I got the version.

     

    Nothing in the Event Logs, Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't have any problem with notepad.exe... I'm stumped.

     

    Oiy vey - to reinstall -

     

     

  • User profile image
    fabian

    W3bbo said:

    Often malware replaces legit programs with their own binaries. Unfortunately Notepad.exe isn't digitally signed by Microsoft.

     

    Check to see the process is being launched, check your Event Logs, that kind of thing. Failing that, reinstall Windows Big Smile

     

    Say, Windows 7 Ultimate N, is that N for "No Notepad"? Wink BTW, the N editions are for Europe, yet you're a 'merkin, how'd you get your hands on that?

    w3bbo wrote: yet you're a 'merkin, how'd you get your hands on that

     

    I have a hard time figuring out what that has to do with his ability to obtain software! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

    Smiley

     

     

     

  • User profile image
    itsnotabug

    how are you trying to run it? can you find the actual exe? maybe something screwy with your startup menu or path. try running from cmd or process.start in a little winform app.

     

    use notepad++ Smiley

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    kettch said:

    The EU has decided that bundling Notepad constitutes an illegal abuse of monopoly powers? There will soon be a text editor ballot screen.

     

    No idea really. Does the exe show up in task manager at all? Have you tried Process Monitor?

    kettch, absolutely nothing shows up in Task Manager.

     

    Process Monitor seems to be on to something...

     

    1:32:51.3230211 PM Explorer.EXE 3352 QueryOpen C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Groove\User\GFSConfig.xml FAST IO DISALLOWED 

    What is Groove doing?    - I'm going to remove it from Office Ultimate 2007 - I'll report back, Golly Dangit!

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    itsnotabug said:

    how are you trying to run it? can you find the actual exe? maybe something screwy with your startup menu or path. try running from cmd or process.start in a little winform app.

     

    use notepad++ Smiley

    I've been running Notepad++ since this bug occurred (which was a few months ago to be honest).

     

    Notepad won't open from a cmd run as Administrator... not so groovy imho.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    fabian said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    w3bbo wrote: yet you're a 'merkin, how'd you get your hands on that

     

    I have a hard time figuring out what that has to do with his ability to obtain software! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

    Smiley

     

     

     

    Read the "Other usage" section of that article. I'm using it as an abbreviation.

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    W3bbo said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

    Read the "Other usage" section of that article. I'm using it as an abbreviation.

    I'm proud to be a 'merkin, yeahuh.  Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    kettch

    JohnAskew said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

    kettch, absolutely nothing shows up in Task Manager.

     

    Process Monitor seems to be on to something...

     

    1:32:51.3230211 PM Explorer.EXE 3352 QueryOpen C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Groove\User\GFSConfig.xml FAST IO DISALLOWED 

    What is Groove doing?    - I'm going to remove it from Office Ultimate 2007 - I'll report back, Golly Dangit!

    I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I believe that just refers to how the application is trying to access resources.

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    ...

    2:13:54.0222830 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 QueryOpen C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe FAST IO DISALLOWED 

    ...

    2:13:54.0238680 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 CreateFileMapping C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: PAGE_READONLY
    ...

    2:13:54.0370795 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 QuerySecurityFile C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW Information: Owner, DACL
    ...

    WTF? - and who is DACL?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    JohnAskew said:

    ...

    2:13:54.0222830 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 QueryOpen C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe FAST IO DISALLOWED 

    ...

    2:13:54.0238680 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 CreateFileMapping C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: PAGE_READONLY
    ...

    2:13:54.0370795 PM Explorer.EXE 3724 QuerySecurityFile C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW Information: Owner, DACL
    ...

    WTF? - and who is DACL?

    discretionary access control list (DACL) An access control list that is controlled by the owner of an object and that specifies the access particular users or groups can have to the object.

     

    Buffer Overflow? Umm that's, well, weird. - oh wait no it's not, if that's coming from filemon/procmon

  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

    blowdart said:
    JohnAskew said:
    *snip*

    discretionary access control list (DACL) An access control list that is controlled by the owner of an object and that specifies the access particular users or groups can have to the object.

     

    Buffer Overflow? Umm that's, well, weird. - oh wait no it's not, if that's coming from filemon/procmon

    No virus or malware is detected...

     

    So the empty file that is being created as the default for notpad.exe is a bottomless pit?

    That does match the fathomless void betwixt my ears.

     

    Reinstall scheduling being considered.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    JohnAskew said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    No virus or malware is detected...

     

    So the empty file that is being created as the default for notpad.exe is a bottomless pit?

    That does match the fathomless void betwixt my ears.

     

    Reinstall scheduling being considered.

    WinDbg (the Visual Studio debugger will do too) of course, hopefully you have the notepad symbols Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.