Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I figured out why my computer occasionally freezes at boot...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

A while back I mentioned in a thread here about an issue I was having on my laptop, which runs Gentoo Linux, where I had encountered an issue where my computer will randomly freeze at boot for several seconds, until KDE realizes something is wrong and disables compositing. I finally found the issue.

It was caused by an end-user made patch for Nvidia's drivers' kernel compatibility layer that Nvidia took and applied to their drivers. Linux kernel version 2.6.33 had broken compatibility with older versions and the patching the driver's kernel compatibility layer was necessary to fix that, but the patch introduced a bug where a macro improperly changed the order of the parameters for a kernel function involving power management:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152065

What is sad is that this was first discovered in a bug report I filed and I was one of the first people in the world to know about it, but I did not realize that it was the issue because I thought that Nvidia's developers had resolved the issue in their newer drivers by rewriting the code that the patch modified. While they did do a rewrite, the rewrite appears to have been made to obscure the fact that they had introduced a third party patch in their code than they were to fix the problem, hence how a logical error from third party code made it into Nvidia's drivers. :/

As I said in the other thread here, none of these things were available in Gentoo's stable tree. The only reason I encountered them was because I was using Gentoo's testing tree, which is supposed to be used only by people who can deal with these sorts of things. At the same time, while Gentoo Linux's users were the first to discover the issue in the patch, the corrections never made it into Gentoo's portage testing tree and, despite an open bug report saying to do otherwise and no one at Gentoo's bug tracker realized that Nvidia's officially patched drivers had the same issue. The only people that seemed to realize it were the package managers for other distributions. Never in the time have I used Gentoo Linux have I more strongly felt the following:

The purpose of Gentoo Linux users is to serve as a warning for others.

Anyway, I am so happy that I figured out why my computer had been randomly freezing at boot that I am posting about this everywhere I mentioned the problem (i.e. nvnews.net, gentoo bug tracker, gentoo forums, kde forums, here).

• User profile image
    Ray7
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

Perhaps you should invest in a retail Operating System designed for consumers like Apple's OS X or Microsoft's Windows. The nice part about buying a product is that they take reasonable care to test changes and in the case of Windows certify that drivers meet at least a minimal standard. In addition to that hardware manufacturers support these Operating Systems and it isn't left to a 15 y/o in his or her basement to develop drivers or their compatibility layers.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

ManipUni said:

Perhaps you should invest in a retail Operating System designed for consumers like Apple's OS X or Microsoft's Windows. The nice part about buying a product is that they take reasonable care to test changes and in the case of Windows certify that drivers meet at least a minimal standard. In addition to that hardware manufacturers support these Operating Systems and it isn't left to a 15 y/o in his or her basement to develop drivers or their compatibility layers.

Oh, snap Smiley

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Why should I care about Linux? If you have issues with Linux, post on Linux forum. Especially MS makes other popular retailed OS called Windows. Pretty much a wrong place to discuss the wrong product in the forum.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bass

magicalclick said:

Why should I care about Linux? If you have issues with Linux, post on Linux forum. Especially MS makes other popular retailed OS called Windows. Pretty much a wrong place to discuss the wrong product in the forum.

I wish there was more technical Windows discussions on Channel 9. And I don't mean "Why DOESN'T X do Y?? WAAAH!!" type threads. Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

Bass said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

I wish there was more technical Windows discussions on Channel 9. And I don't mean "Why DOESN'T X do Y?? WAAAH!!" type threads. Smiley

++

Bring on the Mark Russinovich videos. Those usually melt my brain and are pure awesome.

• User profile image
    Bass

kettch said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

++

Bring on the Mark Russinovich videos. Those usually melt my brain and are pure awesome.

Some of the videos are pretty good, don't get me wrong. There is some really awesome ones especially in the E2E series. But what I'd like to see is some of that spreading into the Coffeehouse or at least the Tech Off. Basically we need less fanboys and more Technical Fellow types to post on Channel 9.

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

Some of the videos are pretty good, don't get me wrong. There is some really awesome ones especially in the E2E series. But what I'd like to see is some of that spreading into the Coffeehouse or at least the Tech Off. Basically we need less fanboys and more Technical Fellow types to post on Channel 9.

You know what? I'm inclined to agree with you.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.