Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 Request

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

can we talk to or get some idea what the plan is from MS on the ultimate fate of Steady State and WIndows 7?

if they can not make a public statement is there someone i can be put in contact with to have a private chat ?

there is a thread asking for Steady State support for Windows 7 with at least 100 IT managers begging for it and no reply form MSFT.

for example I have software that i would like to update to run on 7 but the customer has about 250 pc's and they have to be locked down.

we currently use Steady State on XP to do this.

so that's about 250 upgrades to WIndows 7 that will not happen w/o a good way to lock down the pc's.

they are not on a centeral LAN with AD

they are in small groups of 2-8 pc's at each location on different islands. so they have to be non-domain pc's.

take my case and then factor that out times at least 100-200 cases and up to 2,000 pc's at some places...

public librarys, schools and others are all BEGGING MSFT to release SS for WIn 7 and so far the only reply is NOTHING.

not even a "We are not going to do it"

• User profile image
    Typhoon87

You could look into Deep Freeze Enterprise, has a full management console with all sorts of events that can be triggered.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Typhoon87 said:

You could look into Deep Freeze Enterprise, has a full management console with all sorts of events that can be triggered.

not to say that the app is no good but the customer will say "fine xp uses steady state and that has a zero cost"

when faced with a cost of at least 7K for 200 pc's just for that app.

plus maint costs and the windows license costs.

that makes a non starting point for the whole idea.

we need MS to just update steady state to work on Windows 7.

• User profile image
    exoteric

figuerres said:
    Typhoon87 said:
    *snip*

not to say that the app is no good but the customer will say "fine xp uses steady state and that has a zero cost"

when faced with a cost of at least 7K for 200 pc's just for that app.

plus maint costs and the windows license costs.

that makes a non starting point for the whole idea.

we need MS to just update steady state to work on Windows 7.

Maybe Microsoft decides to charge for it. Not unreasonable either.

I remember Deep Freeze from years ago, it was most effective.

• User profile image
    figuerres

exoteric said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Maybe Microsoft decides to charge for it. Not unreasonable either.

I remember Deep Freeze from years ago, it was most effective.

the big problem right now is that they are not saying anything...

on the ms forum there is a post from an ms staff asking for feedback saying that they were deciding what to do.

then nothing...

• User profile image
    Clint

figuerres said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

the big problem right now is that they are not saying anything...

on the ms forum there is a post from an ms staff asking for feedback saying that they were deciding what to do.

then nothing...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsintune/ would that be able to do it?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Clint said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

almost .... i have seen this and shown it to some folks - interesting and may be a good thing for the future.

big problem today is that almost 100% of the customers pc's are XP HOME not Pro

over time I would like to get them to buy a specific SKU but we can only push this a little bit

policy was set before i started and i could only change that if i had a HUGE advantage to sell them on.

the customer is on islands so shipping computers to them has a big cost, plus they have like 250-300 pc's that "Just work" so why buy a new OS and all that....

if we had steady state for WIndows 7 (any sku) that would be easy to say to them " you can buy 7 on a new pc and it will work"

so we could at least move to windows 7 from xp.

then i could try and spec they buy 7 pro with an eye to getting on intune later....

got to work in steps so the client buys in. so that they do not think i am pushing them to spend "extra money" they can avoid.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Clint said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

also Clint:  what about the schools and libraryies that want Steady State for 7 ?

all of us use it to lock down the pc for public use.

they *NEED* it worse than we do as they have the budget issues to try and work thru.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.