Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bad day at the office.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

    OK, so many in fact  that I decided to do something about it.

     

    http://apps.webservicesuk.com/NukeYourOffice

     

     

    If you are of a mind (or indeed having a bad day yourself) then please take time to try the above link and give me some feedback - very much appreciated! 

     

     

    Ian

     

    PS The WP7 version looks like this (work in progress)

     

    Nuke

     

    EDIT: Ha! Just found a big bug - hopefully fixed it by the time you read this!

     

    EDIT: Interesting - people are going straight for the Nuclear rather than 'having fun' with the other bombs.  I may add something whereby the nuclear bomb is only activated after other bombs have been dropped - what do you think?

     

     

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Cool. fixed the issue with the links - there is also now a pukka RSS  feed of bombing runs here:

     

    http://apps.webservicesuk.com/nukeyouroffice/clientbin/rss/latest.xml

     

    Looks like I might have to do some reverse geocoding as an alternative to 'user office naming' judging by the amount f rubish being entered!

     

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Why don't you make some cool games that are worth playing like The space game or Desktop TD?

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    ZippyV said:

    Why don't you make some cool games that are worth playing like The space game or Desktop TD?

    Thanks for the feedback, I'm working on some more 'action oriented' games using XNA, this is meant to be more of a 'stress buster'.

     (I figure with the recession most people are having a tougher time at work right now).

  • User profile image
    Minh

    Ian2 said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    Thanks for the feedback, I'm working on some more 'action oriented' games using XNA, this is meant to be more of a 'stress buster'.

     (I figure with the recession most people are having a tougher time at work right now).

    This game might just be too realistic

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    Minh said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    This game might just be too realistic

    Somehow, I think this game is a bad idea.

     

    It's also very slow.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    MasterPie said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

    Somehow, I think this game is a bad idea.

     

    It's also very slow.

    Putting the morality debate to one side for a moment*, I am working on the perf elements of this app and have removed a lot of unnecessary updates that were still being rendered in yesterdays build - I am getting improved framerates as a result.

     

    * You guys have got me thinking though, its' not meant to be anything other than a 'stress buster' for someone at the end of a hard day at the office.  

  • User profile image
    MasterPi

    Ian2 said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

    Putting the morality debate to one side for a moment*, I am working on the perf elements of this app and have removed a lot of unnecessary updates that were still being rendered in yesterdays build - I am getting improved framerates as a result.

     

    * You guys have got me thinking though, its' not meant to be anything other than a 'stress buster' for someone at the end of a hard day at the office.  

    Just be careful...maybe up the silliness even more? Raining cats button? Dirty diaper launcher? Lasers that carve out map pieces?

  • User profile image
    Bass

    You should call it "Free one way ticket to Guantanamo Bay"

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    MasterPie said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    Just be careful...maybe up the silliness even more? Raining cats button? Dirty diaper launcher? Lasers that carve out map pieces?

    Yeah that would work better. Think more "plague of locusts" and less "nuclear winter".

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    Sven Groot said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

    Yeah that would work better. Think more "plague of locusts" and less "nuclear winter".

    Ahh, that takes me back to the lovely Nuclear War game.

    But yes, be careful about that nuclear proliferation gaming!

     

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    MasterPie said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    Just be careful...maybe up the silliness even more? Raining cats button? Dirty diaper launcher? Lasers that carve out map pieces?

    Like the lazer idea (apeals to the Borg in me?). 

     

    I'm going to try messing with the idea a little over the next few weeks to see if I can come up with the same app but wrapped up in a 'less threatening' persona.  Hmmmmmm.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Ian2 said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

    Like the lazer idea (apeals to the Borg in me?). 

     

    I'm going to try messing with the idea a little over the next few weeks to see if I can come up with the same app but wrapped up in a 'less threatening' persona.  Hmmmmmm.

    I expected craters to stay. Which is a shame.

     

    Don't forget hurricanes, earthquakes (not over Redmond though, no sense in tempting fate). All the things you could do to your sim city when you got bored.

     

    Hmm, alien invasions Smiley

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    blowdart said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    I expected craters to stay. Which is a shame.

     

    Don't forget hurricanes, earthquakes (not over Redmond though, no sense in tempting fate). All the things you could do to your sim city when you got bored.

     

    Hmm, alien invasions Smiley

    Well, in the US we get cool, reptilian aliens invasions, in the UK you get... trifids?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    PaoloM said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Well, in the US we get cool, reptilian aliens invasions, in the UK you get... trifids?

    More subtle. Children with glowing eyes.

     

    There's a thought Ian, hidden easter eggs - location specific things.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    blowdart said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

    More subtle. Children with glowing eyes.

     

    There's a thought Ian, hidden easter eggs - location specific things.

    Like the Easter Egg idea, almost an app in its own right?  Wonder if I could get the BING Maps team to sponsor some goodies for the first people to find the 'treasure'?   (Like the idea of identifying some things that really do need blowing up and making Easter Eggs out of them).  Hmmm, got an idea .... 

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Ian2 said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Like the Easter Egg idea, almost an app in its own right?  Wonder if I could get the BING Maps team to sponsor some goodies for the first people to find the 'treasure'?   (Like the idea of identifying some things that really do need blowing up and making Easter Eggs out of them).  Hmmm, got an idea .... 

    Bowling ball on stone henge, which instead of leaving a crater, knocks them down Smiley

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    blowdart said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    Bowling ball on stone henge, which instead of leaving a crater, knocks them down Smiley

    Would have been great to have that ready for the solstice (apparently they let people on the stones this year)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.