Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ah, so that's Microsoft's /real/ competitor to Android

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

So after Windows Phone 7 was released, all the developers used to the openness and flexibility of Windows Mobile were up in arms over the removal of key features and introduction of restrictions.

Fear not! Microsoft has shown the world "Microsoft Windows Embedded Handheld" which is built on "Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact OS 7" (that's a mouthful) which is the true successor to Windows Mobile and will be pitched as an upgrade path for existing Windows Mobile 6.5 users.

This can only muddy the waters, but it shows Microsoft hasn't entirely dropped the Enterprise market. I wonder what its UI will look like: if it will take Windows Phone 7's UI or just give us the same ol' same ol' UI from WinMo.

Discuss.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Hopefully another platform for SIlverlight development?

• User profile image
    Bas

No, the successor to WinMo and the competitor to Android is actually still Windows Phone 7.

• User profile image
    figuerres

LInk? where is this ?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

figuerres said:

LInk? where is this ?

Was on Engadget earlier : http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/microsoft-outs-windows-embedded-handheld-platform-motorola-es40/

Herbie

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Dr Herbie said:

Sigh.

Its not like it's difficult to figure this out, eh?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Win CE is always there as the lower layer. And it is always useful all vendors trying to make their own GUI on their mobile devices.

Win Ph is for casual market.

Win Handheld if for professional market, or more like the graphics, the scaner kind of warehouse devices.

I am unsure if MS move of separating the two markets are a good thing. But, MS has being losing the casual market because they are unable to find the right balance between the two. Doing this may be risky, but, I would rather MS making a bold move instead of stuck in that Pocket PC era.

Pro: business demand will not intefere with Win Ph because Win Ph is not aimed for business.

Con: overhead for both versions. Win Ph doesn't seem to be able to up scale to Netbook and Tablet domain, more likely, Win7 is what MS's decision. Win Ph's relevance in casual business is not sure yet. Obviosuly people at first say iPhone is only for casual users, but, many people used it for business now adays. Will Win Ph has the same flexibility to provide adquet business applications? I hope so.

Most likely Win Handheld is there for legacy system and they will slowly phase it out.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

magicalclick said:

Win CE is always there as the lower layer. And it is always useful all vendors trying to make their own GUI on their mobile devices.

Win Ph is for casual market.

Win Handheld if for professional market, or more like the graphics, the scaner kind of warehouse devices.

I am unsure if MS move of separating the two markets are a good thing. But, MS has being losing the casual market because they are unable to find the right balance between the two. Doing this may be risky, but, I would rather MS making a bold move instead of stuck in that Pocket PC era.

Pro: business demand will not intefere with Win Ph because Win Ph is not aimed for business.

Con: overhead for both versions. Win Ph doesn't seem to be able to up scale to Netbook and Tablet domain, more likely, Win7 is what MS's decision. Win Ph's relevance in casual business is not sure yet. Obviosuly people at first say iPhone is only for casual users, but, many people used it for business now adays. Will Win Ph has the same flexibility to provide adquet business applications? I hope so.

Most likely Win Handheld is there for legacy system and they will slowly phase it out.

++ plussity plus.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Windows Phone 7 seems to be designed for people who don't have boundaries between work and life (Microsoft employees), and appreciate having both together on one device.

In other words, Xbox Live/Zune and SharePoint library access on the same screen.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

CreamFilling512 said:

Windows Phone 7 seems to be designed for people who don't have boundaries between work and life (Microsoft employees), and appreciate having both together on one device.

In other words, Xbox Live/Zune and SharePoint library access on the same screen.

I do not think that many bosses will like that feature very much.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.