Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Help, HDD issue.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Hello, I have no idea what to do, here is my problem. I have the western digital 1TB external HDD mybook. NTFS format. I used firewire connection. I am trying to copy 200GB of data (not single file) onto it. But, the drive just stucked. In the monitor, mybook (F) is super busy, but no activity. Blue (Activie Time) = 100% and Green (IO through put) = 0KB. What is going on? Is my HDD dying?

I think the drive is still working, but, it takes forever to start writing data, and it will soon, stop and not doing anything for a long time. So the copy process is stop > write a bit > stop again.

What's going on? Thank you.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    davewill

what did chkdsk /f /r report?

• User profile image
    figuerres

could be many things depending ....

for example 200 gigs of random files like i have may take time for the OS to read as i tend to have like a billion folders with tinny files....

like web sites with small png files and web pages

that can also have a lot of file fragmenting that adds to the time it takes...

also is the OS vista / xp or 7 ??

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Download System Rescue CD and use it to run smartctl on the drive to read the drive's smart data.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.