Coffeehouse Thread

67 posts

I'm going back to VS2008

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Dr Herbie

vesuvius said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

I got to agree, this is a video for those that still aesthetically like visual studio 2008

There is a pattern here though, isn't there?

1. Microsoft releases new version of product a niner uses

2. Niner notices something which to most people is a relatively minor difference that they soon get used to.

3. Niner  builds said change up into a major reason not to use new version.

4. Niner  comes to C9 to complain bitterly that Microsoft has ruined new product and made it 'unuseable'.

Herbie

EDIT : Removed reference to specific person when I realised they were not the one making the complaint I was thinking of from previous product!  Blushing

• figuerres

Dr Herbie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

2. Niner notices something which to most people is a relatively minor difference that they soon get used to.

4. Niner  comes to C9 to complain bitterly that Microsoft has ruined new product and made it 'unuseable'.

Herbie

EDIT : Removed reference to specific person when I realised they were not the one making the complaint I was thinking of from previous product!  Blushing

Dr. I think it's part of the "illness" of all of us who come here...

just like the bashing of the c9 bugs and page loads....

we cry about it but we keep coming back to cry some more.... Smiley

• Dr Herbie

figuerres said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Dr. I think it's part of the "illness" of all of us who come here...

just like the bashing of the c9 bugs and page loads....

we cry about it but we keep coming back to cry some more.... Smiley

I wonder how many of these complaining Niners have the same thing for lunch every day.

"Gaa! The potatoes are touching the peas!"

"I don't like gravy, it's too disorganised."

Herbie

• TommyCarlier

Dr Herbie said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

I wonder how many of these complaining Niners have the same thing for lunch every day.

Herbie

"I prefer my potatoes in battleship gray."

• raptor3676

Dr Herbie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Herbie

Right! I know, Forums like C9 are usually frequented by power users or at the very least people with over the average knowledge about computer but most of the times when I read complains or rants, the image that comes to my mind are people with the computer proficiency of cranky 90 year old grandpa that can't even handle changes as "drastic" as buttons in a different position.

• Dr Herbie

raptor3676 said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Right! I know, Forums like C9 are usually frequented by power users or at the very least people with over the average knowledge about computer but most of the times when I read complains or rants, the image that comes to my mind are people with the computer proficiency of cranky 90 year old grandpa that can't even handle changes as "drastic" as buttons in a different position.

Everyone should go and test here before they complain about software changes Tongue Out

(I got a score of 20, slap bang between average scientist and average computer scientist -- which is about right given that I trained in biology and then went into computers!).

Herbie

• figuerres

Dr Herbie said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Herbie

ever take a look at the forums for the game world of warcraft ?  some very simmilar traits there also...

anything that they (Blizzard) chnage in that game will get a flood of complaints from some part of the community...

like 5 milliion players who wish they had control of the game and do what is called "QQ" all the time....

QQ - think big eyes with tears

Smiley

• Sven Groot

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Everyone should go and test here before they complain about software changes Tongue Out

(I got a score of 20, slap bang between average scientist and average computer scientist -- which is about right given that I trained in biology and then went into computers!).

Herbie

Apparently, I'm an "average female scientist".

... huh!?

• Dr Herbie

Sven Groot said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Apparently, I'm an "average female scientist".

... huh!?

Ha, ha!  Sven has empathy!  Lets all make fun of him until he cries!

Herbie

(feeling unaccountably childish today)

• W3bbo

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

That test is interesting, because despite me having a formal diagnosis for AS, I completed that test with a score of 18 - Average Male.

Some of the questions are a bit ambigiuous and open to interpretation: "I prefer to do things by my own"  - I certainly enjoy social activities in groups of 4 to 7 people, but I prefer to work alone and I feel that distinction is important. However, going deeper, one reason I prefer working alone is because I'm not always confident of the other team member's competence (this past academic year we had a team-based module where we had to make a game together, 2 members of the team skived off entirely, and another had glaring deficiencies in his work. I'm willing to give teamwork a try, but only if the team is good to begin with).

Other questions about being impolite, for example, are only indicative of AS if that person hasn't learned and developed social skills. I know a couple other people with formal AS diagnoses who are much better socially than "normal" people otherwise: by focusing on improving sociability you can often end up better than someone who didn't; it's like judging if someone is dyslexic by asking them to complete a written essay and checking it for signature dyslexic errors, without considering the substantial portion of dyslexic people who carefully think before writing anything down and correcting themselves afterwards, thus making them come across as perfect writers and much better than a non-dyslexic person.

• MasterPi

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

19 - Average male scientist, and average male or female physicist

Same here, I worked much with biology and love science.

• Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

That test is interesting, because despite me having a formal diagnosis for AS, I completed that test with a score of 18 - Average Male.

Some of the questions are a bit ambigiuous and open to interpretation: "I prefer to do things by my own"  - I certainly enjoy social activities in groups of 4 to 7 people, but I prefer to work alone and I feel that distinction is important. However, going deeper, one reason I prefer working alone is because I'm not always confident of the other team member's competence (this past academic year we had a team-based module where we had to make a game together, 2 members of the team skived off entirely, and another had glaring deficiencies in his work. I'm willing to give teamwork a try, but only if the team is good to begin with).

Other questions about being impolite, for example, are only indicative of AS if that person hasn't learned and developed social skills. I know a couple other people with formal AS diagnoses who are much better socially than "normal" people otherwise: by focusing on improving sociability you can often end up better than someone who didn't; it's like judging if someone is dyslexic by asking them to complete a written essay and checking it for signature dyslexic errors, without considering the substantial portion of dyslexic people who carefully think before writing anything down and correcting themselves afterwards, thus making them come across as perfect writers and much better than a non-dyslexic person.

Wait, so you're saying a multiple choice test on the Internet isn't a 100% accurate way to diagnose Aspergers?

I am shocked! Shocked, I say! Tongue Out

• blowdart

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

are only indicative of AS if that person hasn't learned and developed social skills.

Social "skills" is a fun phrase. There's a different between social rules and social empathy. Normally you learn the rules by empathy but that connection is lacking in some AS folks. As soon as the rules can be expressed verbally (and often enough) you can learn them and apply them. Is that what most people call social skills though? Probably not, it is more akin to programming a proper response (especially if NLP is involved when learning the rules). Of course when you get dumped into a situation where you don't know the rules at all, well, that's all kinds of comedy.

It's also interesting to see how some of the AS behaviours are also present in ASPD. Isn't modern medicine fun? Smiley

• Blue Ink

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Wait, so you're saying a multiple choice test on the Internet isn't a 100% accurate way to diagnose Aspergers?

I am shocked! Shocked, I say! Tongue Out

Unbelievable as it might seem, it says so on the website itself.

Which is good... my wife already complains that I have the social skills of a grizzly bear, I would hate to have to come clean about the 32-50 I just scored.

• spivonious

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

I got 25. Probably because I like things being planned in advance and I prefer working by myself (although I'd be glad if my wife would help out in the garden once in a while Smiley )

• davewill

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

I scored the same as my golf handicap ... 30.  Smiley

• elmer

Dr Herbie said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

Herbie

43 !

Am I going to die of cancer or something ??

• wisemx

Can just hardly believe Expression Web versions 3 and 4 both have better FTP features, and...
    VS2010 Ultimate is not playing well at times on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit http://brizzly.com/pic/2RUG

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.