Coffeehouse Thread

67 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I'm going back to VS2008

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Shining Arcanine said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    Odd. I studied biology and computers at the same time and scored a 43. Is that bad?

    "Bad" sure; I figured from your post history here on C9 that you must have something like AS, I certainly wasn't expecting anything that high. I guess it's a sign you should see a psychologist for some "social training". I'm not trying to patronise you here, just offering advice that would help you.

     

    ...you're not the sort that goes to Pokemon conventions, are you? Is "Shining Arcanine" your character?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    W3bbo said:
    Shining Arcanine said:
    *snip*

    "Bad" sure; I figured from your post history here on C9 that you must have something like AS, I certainly wasn't expecting anything that high. I guess it's a sign you should see a psychologist for some "social training". I'm not trying to patronise you here, just offering advice that would help you.

     

    ...you're not the sort that goes to Pokemon conventions, are you? Is "Shining Arcanine" your character?

    Hey hold on, I scored umm, near that, and I don't go to conventions damnit.

  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

    blowdart said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Hey hold on, I scored umm, near that, and I don't go to conventions damnit.

    Yes, but if you really had severe Asperger's, you wouldn't care what score you get ...

     

    Herbie

     

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Dr Herbie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Yes, but if you really had severe Asperger's, you wouldn't care what score you get ...

     

    Herbie

     

    A lot of people I know/am are of who proudly label themselves "aspie" (you know the type) seem to revel in being diferent to everyone else, even only for difference's sake, to that end it's possible he would care because it means he's so many points different (or rather, so many points more special, in a kind of self-affirming way) to everyone else, a kind of perverse IQ pissing contest.

     

    (Basically it boils down to "I'm more messed up than you, therefore I'm more special and are deserving of more attention than you")

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    A lot of people I know/am are of who proudly label themselves "aspie" (you know the type) seem to revel in being diferent to everyone else, even only for difference's sake, to that end it's possible he would care because it means he's so many points different (or rather, so many points more special, in a kind of self-affirming way) to everyone else, a kind of perverse IQ pissing contest.

     

    (Basically it boils down to "I'm more messed up than you, therefore I'm more special and are deserving of more attention than you")

    Heh. It has been interesting to watch as the diagnosis spreads, and then, yes, people use it as a label. Of course when you get people using it as a label its a way to excuse behaviour, not explain it.

     

    That's not just limited to AS of course (or assburgers if you're on Encylopedia Drammatic). There's "Oh my little boy is ADD" when really he's just an annoying little twerp who you don't disipline.

     

    Part of me wonders if we're just looking for excuses these days.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    blowdart said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Hey hold on, I scored umm, near that, and I don't go to conventions damnit.

    Hey!

     

    I (used to) go to conventions! I even won the Shadowrun Open tourney at GenCon 2000 and I'm a faithful visitor at PAX.

     

    This year, however, it's going to be different, from the "other side" of the booth Smiley

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    blowdart said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    Heh. It has been interesting to watch as the diagnosis spreads, and then, yes, people use it as a label. Of course when you get people using it as a label its a way to excuse behaviour, not explain it.

     

    That's not just limited to AS of course (or assburgers if you're on Encylopedia Drammatic). There's "Oh my little boy is ADD" when really he's just an annoying little twerp who you don't disipline.

     

    Part of me wonders if we're just looking for excuses these days.

    Of course people are looking for excuses. Personal responsibility is hard, let's go shopping! (on credit)

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    PaoloM said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Hey!

     

    I (used to) go to conventions! I even won the Shadowrun Open tourney at GenCon 2000 and I'm a faithful visitor at PAX.

     

    This year, however, it's going to be different, from the "other side" of the booth Smiley

    You're making my point for me here Tongue Out You and your shadowrun books Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    elmer

    blowdart said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

    You're making my point for me here Tongue Out You and your shadowrun books Tongue Out

    LOL... I scored a 43, and yet I thought my problem was GOMS... Grumpy Old Man Syndrome... but now I know I can blame something for it.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    blowdart said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

    You're making my point for me here Tongue Out You and your shadowrun books Tongue Out

    Hey, now it's Monster Manual 3 and the Draconomicon (next month). Dark Sun is going to be HUGE Smiley

  • User profile image
    Clint

    W3bbo said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    See this screenshot:

     

    Generic Forum Image

     

    As you can see, lines that don't contain anything don't have any tabs characters in them. VS2003, 5, and 8 all indented new lines as you pressed the Return key, VS2010 doesn't: it only indents the line once you type something on that line. If you press Return again you get \r\n\r\n rather than \r\n\t\t\t\r\n.

     

    When typing code this isn't a huge problem for me because the caret is magically in the right place 90% of the time, but when I move the caret around with my arrow keys it often ends up in Column 1 when it should be in Column 3 (see screenshot, line 98) where it would be if empty lines were indented.

     

     

    All you need to do is hit enter again on line 98.  Or a quick backspace and return again.  I'm going to bet there may even be a key stroke to indent it back to where it should be.

     

    IMO think VS2010 does that properly.  No need for the spaces/tabs to be there, why save that data to TFS.

  • User profile image
    spivonious

    PaoloM said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Hey!

     

    I (used to) go to conventions! I even won the Shadowrun Open tourney at GenCon 2000 and I'm a faithful visitor at PAX.

     

    This year, however, it's going to be different, from the "other side" of the booth Smiley

    Ha, I used to play Shadowrun in college. Good times.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Clint said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

    All you need to do is hit enter again on line 98.  Or a quick backspace and return again.  I'm going to bet there may even be a key stroke to indent it back to where it should be.

     

    IMO think VS2010 does that properly.  No need for the spaces/tabs to be there, why save that data to TFS.

    The "Why save that data to TFS" argument is an example of a microptimisation, and I hardly think Microsoft had that reason in mind when they changed this feature, I can think of a thousand and one other changes made to VS and Windows in general that are decidedly un-miserly.

     

    I emailed the PM of the Visual Studio Editor and she got back to me, forwarding my email to someone who'll shed some light as to why the change was made, I hope to hear from him within a couple of days.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.