Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition in VirtualBox

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

I just installed Windows XP Professional x64 Edition in VirtualBox and immediately after installing it, I went to Windows Update. Apparently, the copy of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition that I received from MSDNAA lacked SP2, so I installed SP2. I then did a ritual reboot and went back to Windows Update, where I was greeted by 87 updates. I disabled the Internet Explorer 8 update (I hate the GUI) and proceeded to install 86 updates. I then did another ritual reboot and went back to Windows Update, where I was greeted by an attempt to install Internet Explorer 7 on my machine, so I disabled that as well (I hate the GUI more). It also informed me about two more updates for Windows, so I installed them. A third ritual reboot later and finally there are no more high priority updates, so I installed "Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB925876)", which is the reason why I was virtualizing Windows in the first place.

Anyway, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is in desperate need of a service pack/update roll-up/batch-script to install all of these high priority updates. Does anyone know if Microsoft plans to produce something, even a batch-script?

Also, I am not sure if this is a good place to ask, but I would like to use SATA with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2 to lower my virtual machine's overhead (it has a special viostor driver that eliminates the need to emulate a SATA controller), but it seems that the closest thing to a 64-bit drivers available for it is a driver for Windows 2003, which strangely, Windows refuses to recognize as a compatible driver. Does anyone know how I could find a driver that will work for SATA support?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Windows XP x64 is the same OS as Windows Server 2003 (both x86 and x64), so I fully expect an update rollup (there won't be an SP, however) just before support expires, which will be within the next two to three years.

The overhead for using virtual disk images rather than using a dirve directly isn't that big, I'd only consider if it I were doing IO-intensive operations within the VM, but I get the impression you installed yours only for testing, so let me tell you that it isn't worth the trouble.

Also, those reboots aren't ritualistic (as you put it) because they serve an actual purpose.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

W3bbo said:

Windows XP x64 is the same OS as Windows Server 2003 (both x86 and x64), so I fully expect an update rollup (there won't be an SP, however) just before support expires, which will be within the next two to three years.

The overhead for using virtual disk images rather than using a dirve directly isn't that big, I'd only consider if it I were doing IO-intensive operations within the VM, but I get the impression you installed yours only for testing, so let me tell you that it isn't worth the trouble.

Also, those reboots aren't ritualistic (as you put it) because they serve an actual purpose.

Even if you are running software directly from its own partition, VirtualBox still needs to emulate a SATA/SCSI/IDE/SAS controller unless you are using the viostor driver, which allows it to eliminate that overhead.

As for the reboots, they certainly cured any nostalgia that I had for Windows. I also managed to get KRDC working with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, so now I do not need any of the virtualization overhead at all. The only issue is that the sound does not work in either VirtualBox or KDRC, even in the VirtualBox host operating system. :/

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo said:

W3bbo said:

Hahaha, you're kidding right? XP x64 was a complete abortion, you can probably count the number of installations on one hand, so I wouldn't expect to see any roll up any time soon. The handful of people who needed to run it at the time will have inevitably moved on to either Vista or 7, both of which have substatially improved 64 bit support. XP x64 lives in the same exciting territory as the Itanium builds of Windows, a somewhat embarrasing blip in history.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.