Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: UK Developer Jobs
  • User profile image
    Simo

W3bbo said:
    Simo said:
    *snip*

£800 a day for writing C#? It counfounds the mind. I've long been considering working in that sector for a while if I didn't make the grade for doing a PhD, and this just makes the propostion all the more attractive.

Question: what counts as "experience"? I've been writing .NET code since late-2004 and developed a number of commerical applications, does that mean I can claim to having over 5 years' experience in the platform? Or does only proper full-time employment count?

Good question. 'Experience' is quite specific ... and really means 'delivering production code in an investment bank'. So sorry, but proper full-time employment only. However, experience of developing commercial applications, or any other examples of writing code for a customer is fantastic experience that you should draw on. Have anecdotes & stories ready whenever you're asked about that.

Now just to pour some cooling water on any potential "£800 a day for writing C# - I'll be a millionaire..." thought process.

- Check my previous post. I'd be expecting a professional C# 'real-time capable' contractor to have atleast  eight+ years full time development experience and a decent number of recent years writing 'real-time' C# apps in an investment bank situation.

- There's always an element of unwillingness to pay you a contract rate too much over your previous rate. Hence, questions about how long have you been contracting, what rate did you previously charge, etc.

- You're more likely to hit £800 a day writing C++ than C#

- Off the back of an undergraduate degree, £800 a day is a goal for your late 20s not the pay for your first job.

- The investment bank sector is a very venal, shallow world. Dominated entirely by money. All the clichés are basically true and you will find yourself working long hours so that some senior a-hole in the business can take home his million+ bonus. 'Working for the man' has no better example than working in a supporting function in an investment bank. I probably shouldn't bad mouth my own industry, I've done ok out of it, but I've been quite disillusioned by it post credit-crunch. I had a grandstand seat whilst I watched the industry practically destroy itself in the desperate rush to make every cent it could, resulting in it having to be saved by the state and the subsequent cost to us all. I've also seen the brain drain at first hand as year after year graduate engineers & scientists get sucked into the world of moving money from A to B in the most complicated fashion possible. They could have been doing something far more useful for society.

Webbo - basically the thought of you weighing up PhD vs Investment Bank career saddens/worries me. I guess it's best to find a job you love to do. Some people love their investment banking career, I don't think I like those people any more.