Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: UK Developer Jobs
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Simo said:

Here's 2p from my perspective (London based and working for financial institutions).

Dev market is fairly healthy with many banks and investment houses making investments in their processes, workflow and organisation (general getting their house back in order). Previous two years-ish saw a lot of investment in the Risk management area, ie shutting the very large barn door after the credit-crunch horse escaped. With the 20/20 hindsight goggles on we had 5+ years of making hay before that, largely working for traders/front-office and whatever their whim of the day was as all the filthy lucre rolled in.

Market-wise I think if you had 5+ years of investment bank experience with about 8+ years of working you'd be looking at contract rates like:

Excel VBA: £500-£600 a day

Good C#: £600-£700 a day

C++ and err 'real-time' <cough> C#: £800+ a day

Project Manager to look after devs: £800 - £1,000 a day.

Permanent rates would vary from £50 to £100k+ as well as a bonus.

NB these are London rates where rent in town is easily £500 a week & a 50 hour week is normal.

Add more money if your product knowledge is as good as the business in a particular area. Take money off if, despite having the experience, you're a little young in years. Yes - it's age discrimination but suck it up and bank the experience, you'll hit your thirties soon enough.

Re Webbo's point of go get yourself a CS degree. I don't disagree but... in my sector we look at a slightly wider range of academic subjects for graduate intake. Mostly science(incl. computer), maths & engineering - expecting to see a good degree result from a good University. Plus all the other stuff like aptitude for working in a business, presumably some HR personality testing to see if the candidate fits etc. Anyway, if I was given two CVs: somebody with a 2(ii) in CS from 'the University of the Middle of England' or similar and somebody with a 1st in Physics from Imperial. I'd be speaking to the Imperial person first.

I'd agree with Simo that for writing Business Software (e.g. customer code to encode business processes) a CS degree might be a minor help in getting an interview, but isn't really regarded as necessary -- experience takes precedence. 

Most of the people I've been responsible for hiring didn't have CS degrees. We give a small coding\TSQL test at the interview too see if interviewees know their stuff.

Herbie