Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Audio! Video! Canvas!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

It's the next IE9 preview!

• User profile image
    Bas

Can't wait for the announcement that Microsoft is dropping Silverlight as a web platform in favor of HTML5.

Sarcasm!

• User profile image
    Bass

Very cool. IE9 is shaping up to be a great release.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

IE9 has canvas tag support?! SQUEE!

• User profile image
    CKurt

Great progress indeed, shaping up pretty good.

I'm still wondering tough. I'm a developer and i want to use the <video> tagg. How do I encode my video ? .avi .mov .ogg ? And how do I do it (Live Movie Maker?) and how am i sure every HTML5 browser that support <video> can play my video...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

CKurt said:

I'm still wondering tough. I'm a developer and i want to use the <video> tagg. How do I encode my video ? .avi .mov .ogg ? And how do I do it (Live Movie Maker?) and how am i sure every HTML5 browser that support <video> can play my video...

I'm sure you'll get all the info you need from the HTML WG.

</sarcasm>

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Bas said:

Can't wait for the announcement that Microsoft is dropping Silverlight as a web platform in favor of HTML5.

Sarcasm!

Actually, I would not be surprised at all.

We're using Silverlight as a desktop application platform and it's going great. I can see a couple more releases of convergent evolution with WPF and then we'll have a unified declarative platform for application development. Cross platform Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

CKurt said:

how am i sure every HTML5 browser that support <video> can play my video...

Because not every browser supports the same codecs at present, this is impossible. Ain't standards great?

Right now you'd have to provide your video as h.264 (in a .mp4 file I think) and as an Ogg Theora video (.ogg) to get the broadest coverage, I think.

• User profile image
    Clint

CKurt said:

LWM does WMV since h.264 requires licensing to encode.  Ogg is a patent question.

The video tag is still an open battle ground. 

• User profile image
    Clint

PaoloM said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Actually, I would not be surprised at all.

We're using Silverlight as a desktop application platform and it's going great. I can see a couple more releases of convergent evolution with WPF and then we'll have a unified declarative platform for application development. Cross platform Smiley

Video tag can't do everything SL can.  Video tag can't do smooth streaming nor DRM.  I know end users hate DRM but at the end of the day, companies that want to protect their data leverage it.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Clint said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Video tag can't do everything SL can.  Video tag can't do smooth streaming nor DRM.  I know end users hate DRM but at the end of the day, companies that want to protect their data leverage it.

Well thank you very much Microsoft, your irresponsible actions have very likely cost me my career -- you can you sleep at night having shown this to the public.  I started last night and now I can't stop.  Ahead I see only unemployment, alcohol dependence and homelessness because I am unable to do anything other than play this game.

I hope you're happy now.

Herbie

• User profile image
    AndyC

Dr Herbie said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

Well thank you very much Microsoft, your irresponsible actions have very likely cost me my career -- you can you sleep at night having shown this to the public.  I started last night and now I can't stop.  Ahead I see only unemployment, alcohol dependence and homelessness because I am unable to do anything other than play this game.

I hope you're happy now.

Herbie

That'd probably be a lot more impressive if it didn't glitch so badly, after a few minutes I end up with a bunch of half-swapped tiles and empty squares. Back to Jewel Quest on xbox 360 methinks....

• User profile image
    rhm

AndyC said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

That'd probably be a lot more impressive if it didn't glitch so badly, after a few minutes I end up with a bunch of half-swapped tiles and empty squares. Back to Jewel Quest on xbox 360 methinks....

All these HTML5 demos that are supposed to be so impressive, to me they just emphasise how bad a platform HTML is for delivering application UI.

And no, hardware accelerating it so it can run at a zillion frames per second does not make it OK. It's like bolting a Ferrari V8 onto a refrigerator and expecting win a motorrace - the browser wasn't conceived as an application delivery platform and making faster won't change it's nature.

• User profile image
    Bas

rhm said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

All these HTML5 demos that are supposed to be so impressive, to me they just emphasise how bad a platform HTML is for delivering application UI.

And no, hardware accelerating it so it can run at a zillion frames per second does not make it OK. It's like bolting a Ferrari V8 onto a refrigerator and expecting win a motorrace - the browser wasn't conceived as an application delivery platform and making faster won't change it's nature.

++ plus plussity plus plus.

Plus.

Although the analogy I always use is putting wheels and an engine on the bloated corpse of a dead racehorse, in order to get it across the finish line.

• User profile image
    Clint

Dr Herbie said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

I hope you're happy now.

Herbie

minesweeper is my issue

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.