Coffeehouse Thread

67 posts

IE9 preview 3 : WOW!!! Who is Chrome ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dovella
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

I agree, where is the chorme? It is really hard to use it without a back button.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    exoteric

magicalclick said:

I agree, where is the chorme? It is really hard to use it without a back button.

It's a platform preview, specifically meant to clearly indicate that it's not a full browser but a stripped down UI on top of the platform. The purpose being developers testing it with their own samples as well.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

exoteric said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

It's a platform preview, specifically meant to clearly indicate that it's not a full browser but a stripped down UI on top of the platform. The purpose being developers testing it with their own samples as well.

But, couldn't we test the UI as well? I mean, you can't have awsome engine with stupid UI. Well, you can, but, it would suck.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

magicalclick said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

But, couldn't we test the UI as well? I mean, you can't have awsome engine with stupid UI. Well, you can, but, it would suck.

This is for testing it as a new development platform. Testing the UI will happen when the beta comes out.

• User profile image
    Dovella

Apple Html5 home page is REAL Html5 ? 

Apple #FAIL!!!!

@IE team 

Welcomeback!!!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

magicalclick said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Although it's not fun to have this awesome engine in a deliberately crippled UI, I can understand why they're doing it.

They want people to focus on the engine and the development platform. If they were to release this using their (presumably unfinished) new IE9 UI, many people would focus on that instead and report bugs on it instead of the engine, which the IE team doesn't want at this stage (again probably because the UI is not finished enough for public testing).

If they were to release the IE9 preview using the old IE8 UI (which at least would make it more usable), you'd risk people misunderstanding, thinking that IE9 will have the same UI as IE8, and the whole *-storm of bad PR that would entail if someone influential came to that (wrong) conclusion and wrote an article about it.

• User profile image
    sushovande

Sven Groot said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Although it's not fun to have this awesome engine in a deliberately crippled UI, I can understand why they're doing it.

They want people to focus on the engine and the development platform. If they were to release this using their (presumably unfinished) new IE9 UI, many people would focus on that instead and report bugs on it instead of the engine, which the IE team doesn't want at this stage (again probably because the UI is not finished enough for public testing).

If they were to release the IE9 preview using the old IE8 UI (which at least would make it more usable), you'd risk people misunderstanding, thinking that IE9 will have the same UI as IE8, and the whole *-storm of bad PR that would entail if someone influential came to that (wrong) conclusion and wrote an article about it.

I am pretty sure Dovella was trying to downplay Google Chrome.. but good job hijacking the thread, guys, and stealing his thunder Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Google Chrome is the browser that just added native PDF and Flash - Who is anyone else?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ManipUni said:

Google Chrome is the browser that just added native PDF and Flash - Who is anyone else?

Google doesn't "natively" support Flash, it uses Adobe's binaries, they're just already inside Chrome so you don't need to download them separately, it also helps keep it up to date. We'd have known if Google did implement their own SWF player because there aren't any

good open-source implementations right now, the people in Linux are almost entirely dependent on Adobe's proprietary binaries.

However, Chrome's PDF handler does seem to be Google's code. This'll be interesting.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Dovella said:

Apple Html5 home page is REAL Html5 ? 

Apple #FAIL!!!!

@IE team 

Welcomeback!!!!!!!!!

Wow that makes about as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

• User profile image
    Minh

the IE9 preview runs GREAT on my quad-core machine, and might be my main browser...

BUT

It runs horribly slow on my netbook which has a 1GHz Atom & integrated graphics.

I can't get more than 1 FPS on any of the graphics demo... So, whatever fallback rendering IE9 does when it doesn't have the hardware doesn't scale at all...

I can play Cafe World on Chrome thru Flash (not butter smooth, but still...) ... but there's no way I can do anything with IE9 on a netbook...

Why does that matter? I'd expect more low-powered devices to come out in the near future... IE team? What say you?

• User profile image
    exoteric

magicalclick said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

This is a developer site, not a "random people using browsers" site. The platform is the important thing. I'd also guess that it has to do with some UX improvements maybe even related to Windows 8 that we're not supposed to see yet. I don't blame them. It's a preview, deal with it!

• User profile image
    exoteric

Minh said:

the IE9 preview runs GREAT on my quad-core machine, and might be my main browser...

BUT

It runs horribly slow on my netbook which has a 1GHz Atom & integrated graphics.

I can't get more than 1 FPS on any of the graphics demo... So, whatever fallback rendering IE9 does when it doesn't have the hardware doesn't scale at all...

I can play Cafe World on Chrome thru Flash (not butter smooth, but still...) ... but there's no way I can do anything with IE9 on a netbook...

Why does that matter? I'd expect more low-powered devices to come out in the near future... IE team? What say you?

Don't expect a demo of hardware accelleration to run fast on a non-GPU platform. There's no magic involved after all. I know DirectX has some fallback software rendering, I believe called Warp-something, which is supposedly pretty fast but it can never surpass hardware acelleration on current CPU technology, much less on a low-power CPU like the Atom. 

• User profile image
    Minh

exoteric said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Don't expect a demo of hardware accelleration to run fast on a non-GPU platform. There's no magic involved after all. I know DirectX has some fallback software rendering, I believe called Warp-something, which is supposedly pretty fast but it can never surpass hardware acelleration on current CPU technology, much less on a low-power CPU like the Atom. 

DirectX used to have fallback software rendering, but they don't anymore. They now have a "reference" renderer that's used for correctness, and not for normal use.

But my question is, as netbooks, tablets, get more popular, IE9 seems to be a non-choice for those hardwares when it comes to media stuff. What does MS have in mind for those limited hardware...

I have to do some testing of Silverlight on my netbook to see if it's comparable to Flash... the problem is to find something complex with both a Flash and a Silverlight version.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

W3bbo said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Google doesn't "natively" support Flash, it uses Adobe's binaries, they're just already inside Chrome so you don't need to download them separately, it also helps keep it up to date. We'd have known if Google did implement their own SWF player because there aren't any

good open-source implementations right now, the people in Linux are almost entirely dependent on Adobe's proprietary binaries.

However, Chrome's PDF handler does seem to be Google's code. This'll be interesting.

isn't software bundling = law suits? I wonder when that will happen.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

magicalclick said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

isn't software bundling = law suits? I wonder when that will happen.

isn't software bundling = law suits?

No.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

exoteric said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

This is a developer site, not a "random people using browsers" site. The platform is the important thing. I'd also guess that it has to do with some UX improvements maybe even related to Windows 8 that we're not supposed to see yet. I don't blame them. It's a preview, deal with it!

couldn't they release both versions? one is UX focused and one is engine focused? I mean, I get the feeling they are not doing UX at all. And with shorter UX feedback or not getting the feedback concurrently will only "stack" the development timeline instead of parrallel effort.

I get the feeling they will just slap on the old GUI and call it a day.

Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.