Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New GUI for IE9 or I am getting bitch slapped again?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Oh well, the same old complain. New GUI? Like,

1) no more offline mode pop-up, which people always click the left button, whatever what it is. And pop-up = scary for most users.

2) no more "random" dowload directory. It is considered as "random". I know some geek is going to blah, but, that doesn't change this fact.

3) Cleaner and better space usage. The old GUI is just feel so outdated and wasted a lot of spaces. And wide screen doesn't help ofc.

4) no more Tab freezing horror.

5) no more random tab crashing. Not sure this is GUI or not, but the page was loaded and running. Then, it crashed when there shouldn't any activity for the tab. Perplexed

I can only hope they actually cared about #4. And the rest of it? I am expected to get * slapped again. Crying

======ADD========

This is odd. My IE8 doesn't have offline pop-up window when everyone else does. I know XP and Vista's version of IE8 does have offline pop-up. Maybe they fixed it on Win7. Good to know actually. At least I know their problem can be solved by switching to Win7.

Now, I hope they solve the case #2 with a simple check box [ ] use this download directory as next default. Not sure how hard can this be. Must be super hard. 

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    kettch

1) ++

2) User profiles have a downloads directory, lets use it. Oh, and a proper download manager.

3) At the risk of sounding too trendy, take a page from Metro: Content is king. A browser's UI should be minimalist. I'm not saying a full Metro skin is needed, but there might be a variation that would still fit in with the style of the OS.

There's not a whole lot that can be done about making content look better ona wide screen. That is up to the designer. Maybe a fully draggable tab architecture like in VS2010. That would let you move tabs around and put them side by side on a wide screen.

4) I've only rarely been able to repro that, but yeah.

5) Markup should never crash a tab, and addons crashing tabs should be addressed with a real addon architecture.

• User profile image
    Bas

Regarding the minimalist, content-first UI: Microsoft did this with IE7 and people went apeshit over it. Even over something as simple as hiding the menu bar, which would show up if you simply pressed alt. There's no possible way for them to win when it comes to UI.

The crashing thing fills me with rage. The whole separate-process-per-tab thing is absolutely useless if the whole browser just freezes up anyway. I really hope they fixed that this time.

I also hope they fixed favicons. Although, of course, last time I heard the IE team was convinced that they worked despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Hey I know what they can do....

IE9 can have a bunch of SKU's to please every group of users!

Like how VS 2005 / 2008 came in like 10 versions....

IE9: No UI

IE9: Classic Six UI

IE9: Looks like 7

IE9: Looks like 8

IE9: Fresh UI XP Ultimate Edition

and so on.....

then we can all complain about how many versions of IE9 they ship....

Sorry but it was just there Big Smile

• User profile image
    Clint

For IE8, the download directory defauts to the last spot where you downloaded.  And it starts off in the Win7 Download directory too.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Clint said:

For IE8, the download directory defauts to the last spot where you downloaded.  And it starts off in the Win7 Download directory too.

This is why I have said,

"I know some geek is going to blah, but, that doesn't change this fact." .... "It is considered as 'random'."

To be exact. the default should be always "locked in" to a single folder until the user manually reset it, like Home Page button. You don't see home page get changed to the last page you are using before closing a browser.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Bas said:

Regarding the minimalist, content-first UI: Microsoft did this with IE7 and people went apeshit over it. Even over something as simple as hiding the menu bar, which would show up if you simply pressed alt. There's no possible way for them to win when it comes to UI.

The crashing thing fills me with rage. The whole separate-process-per-tab thing is absolutely useless if the whole browser just freezes up anyway. I really hope they fixed that this time.

I also hope they fixed favicons. Although, of course, last time I heard the IE team was convinced that they worked despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I know. i was like WTF, "whole separate-process-per-tab thing is absolutely useless". And it is very easy to repro this by playing some slow as hell Flash Games: FarmVille, Cafe World. Want to switch tab when it is taking forever loading? Sorry, GUI freez. %*#&*(#$&#*$

Last modified
  • User profile image
    wkempf

magicalclick said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

This is why I have said,

"I know some geek is going to blah, but, that doesn't change this fact." .... "It is considered as 'random'."

To be exact. the default should be always "locked in" to a single folder until the user manually reset it, like Home Page button. You don't see home page get changed to the last page you are using before closing a browser.

I think you'll find as many people that disagree with you here as you do that will agree with you. So the tone of the "request" is way off on this one. Personally, I hate ANY application (not just browsers) that don't recall the last directory I used when saving, and downloading is saving. Regardless, calling it "random" even if you couch it as "seems random" is simply stupid. It's not random, and anyone that perceives it as random is someone you're never going to be able to please on ANYTHING.

• User profile image
    kettch

magicalclick said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

This is why I have said,

The download manager should pop up a dialog that asks to save, save to, or open. Maybe a combo box with recently used or preset locations could be included.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

wkempf said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

I think you'll find as many people that disagree with you here as you do that will agree with you. So the tone of the "request" is way off on this one. Personally, I hate ANY application (not just browsers) that don't recall the last directory I used when saving, and downloading is saving. Regardless, calling it "random" even if you couch it as "seems random" is simply stupid. It's not random, and anyone that perceives it as random is someone you're never going to be able to please on ANYTHING.

I am sorry, I am speaking for 90% of IE users. Not geeks. Actually 90% is a really low number I set, it is propably 95% and higher. Like I said, any geek can blah about it, but, that doesn't change the fact IT IS considered as random.

Like the following kettch suggestion, it is solved easy.

But, we should have Home Page set on closing as well.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    wkempf

magicalclick said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

I am sorry, I am speaking for 90% of IE users. Not geeks. Actually 90% is a really low number I set, it is propably 95% and higher. Like I said, any geek can blah about it, but, that doesn't change the fact IT IS considered as random.

You're the one "blahing" here. You just made figures up, and expect anyone to take you seriously? I'm not speaking as a Geek. I'm speaking as a user. IE is behaving the same way that nearly ALL applications behave. That's what most users want... for everything to behave consistently. And you're the ONLY person I've ever seen claim that the behavior is "random", and it's a laughable claim. There's nothing random about it, and if you perceive it as random then you're going to have questionable perceptions on everything else as well. Can't help you with that.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

magicalclick said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

You realize always opening to a default folder (whether set by the system or manually by you) is a bad idea as soon as you need to save multiple files to the same folder nested 4 levels deep off of some other branch of your folder tree. Besides, with the favorites list in Vista and Win7 save dialogs, it's easy to jump back to those default locations. Just add them to your favorites list (I have two, Downloads, and Mods (WoW UI addons), that are my most common download locations).

• User profile image
    wkempf

DCMonkey said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

You realize always opening to a default folder (whether set by the system or manually by you) is a bad idea as soon as you need to save multiple files to the same folder nested 4 levels deep off of some other branch of your folder tree. Besides, with the favorites list in Vista and Win7 save dialogs, it's easy to jump back to those default locations. Just add them to your favorites list (I have two, Downloads, and Mods (WoW UI addons), that are my most common download locations).

Yeah, the behavior of other browsers I find to be much worse. Not even being presented with a Save dialog? Yeah, that's useful.

• User profile image
    AndyC

The current behaviour of IE with respect to the downloads folder is probably the one most people expect. I personally get very irritated by applications that can't be bothered to remember where I last saved things. And most "average" users probably never change that directory more than once anyway.

If you want to fix the one most irritating behaviour w.r.t. IE and downloads, it would actually be changing Office so that it doesn't consider a document opened from Temporary Internet Files as one that should be saved back where it came from. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to explain to people that opening a .doc file from e.g. Hotmail, then hitting Save in Word won't actually retain their document in a useful way - they have to use Save As instead.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

DCMonkey said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Yes, I did. I have desktop in the "links".

To wkempf:

Sorry, I am a geek, I have no problem with case 1 and case 2 as well. Why am I complaining? I shouldn't. I should tell anyone around me who continuously saved their files in random places to simply switch browser. Case solved. Thank you for enlighten me.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

magicalclick said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

Yes, I did. I have desktop in the "links".

To wkempf:

Sorry, I am a geek, I have no problem with case 1 and case 2 as well. Why am I complaining? I shouldn't. I should tell anyone around me who continuously saved their files in random places to simply switch browser. Case solved. Thank you for enlighten me.

But it is not random. It remembers the last place you used. I personally have never heard anyone call it random before you just now.

And whenever I use an alternative browser (or, for that matter, GetRight, which I used for many many years) that defaults to a single folder it annoys me to no end, for precisely te reasons Andy mentioned.

• User profile image
    Clint

magicalclick said:
    Clint said:
    *snip*

This is why I have said,

if they can't remember where they left their keys last, is that really my fault?  Why you left them in the freezer, I don't know.  They said download to the desktop, lets go to the desktop.  It isn't like it randomly picks folders.

That is actually one thing I both like and hate about firefox.  It starts downloading right away but it downloads in a preset directory.  Sometimes I don't want it there but it to that default directory.

I also would imagine most people don't alter their default settings.

• User profile image
    kettch

Clint said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

if they can't remember where they left their keys last, is that really my fault?  Why you left them in the freezer, I don't know.  They said download to the desktop, lets go to the desktop.  It isn't like it randomly picks folders.

That is actually one thing I both like and hate about firefox.  It starts downloading right away but it downloads in a preset directory.  Sometimes I don't want it there but it to that default directory.

I also would imagine most people don't alter their default settings.

For some reason this gave me a crazy idea. What if Outlook and IE scanned the contents of a page or email to see if the content seemed to indicate cuteness (kittens, puppies, or babies)? If the file type is binary it could substitute the results of a web image search. This would eliminate 80% of virus infections. If I had time, I'd write a download manager plugin and install it on the computers of a few people I know. They'd never know the difference.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.