Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Wants to pick up to phone and talk to somebody @windows live

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Edit: this post was written after 2 hours of use. It cleary indicates my first impression with the product. Now that I've cooled down a bit these issue still exist, but I'm starting to like the fact I switched from Wave 4 to Wave 3.

... somebody over at the Windows Live team. A decent video call session where I can ask my most conserning question. Some of them are:

-- Messenger

# In the new 'Full View' why am I unable to resize the width of the contact list in relation to the with of the social view ?
    # Who did the layout of the social pane? Do they know typografy matters? If i scroll down one page half the screen is just plain empty!
    # Who decided to get rid of 'Nicknames' ? I don't really mind but i know my friends Missy Queen and Duke Nukem will hate it (not to mention Penelope)

# Why do the search box and status box feel really ugly when having focus ?

-- Mail
    # Why can't i choose the width of the calendar pane? I can't read the whole title of my appointments (no word wrap)
    # Why does the contact view not allow me to (in app) clean up my contacts and MERGE some (or even do it automaticly) ?

I know a lot of thought has gone into this new Live Essentials and it indeed has some great ideas.  But somehow i get the feeling the design guru of the current Windows Phone team had to be there to say 'this is not clean, this is messy' . Charles ? Can we expect a channel 9 video with actual developpers who wrote code?

I must say I'm starting to 'hate' these marketing video's announcing things. The questions are clearly prepared so they don't have to answer 'We don't have this in this release' or 'Sorry we did not do that?'. I like the fact these video's exist but it seems new video's are only that ones...

If anyone feels like talking, contact me www.ckurt.net and i'll even give you my phone number.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The decision to remove nicknames is mystifying considering the that teens are the largest group of people using Messenger (at least in NL). Not to mention the fact that I had several people in my list whose real names I didn't even know, and now I have to figure out who is who.

And why does it show most names last name first, but some others first name first?

• User profile image
    exoteric

Sven Groot said:

The decision to remove nicknames is mystifying considering the that teens are the largest group of people using Messenger (at least in NL). Not to mention the fact that I had several people in my list whose real names I didn't even know, and now I have to figure out who is who.

And why does it show most names last name first, but some others first name first?

That does sound like a poor decision then. On the other hand, from a purely egotistical point of view I don't much care, since my contacts have always been renamed to their full name, not some alias. Still, if some people started registering with nick names as their real names, then...

I'd prefer merging contacts such that, say a fb contact and a regular contact appears as one and then the most appropriate means of communication is chosen, i.e. if online on messenger, use the msn network, otherwise use fb.

It's beta software so some of the things may be changed although I don't expect the above two to be.

• User profile image
    CKurt

exoteric said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

That does sound like a poor decision then. On the other hand, from a purely egotistical point of view I don't much care, since my contacts have always been renamed to their full name, not some alias. Still, if some people started registering with nick names as their real names, then...

I'd prefer merging contacts such that, say a fb contact and a regular contact appears as one and then the most appropriate means of communication is chosen, i.e. if online on messenger, use the msn network, otherwise use fb.

It's beta software so some of the things may be changed although I don't expect the above two to be.

Indeed, the not merging of contacts seems silly. It is clearly not working as it should. Even if there name is not the same (because indeed a lot of people filled in there nickname as name back in the days). But is the facbook email and the windows live email match, it should merge them right ?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

CKurt said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Indeed, the not merging of contacts seems silly. It is clearly not working as it should. Even if there name is not the same (because indeed a lot of people filled in there nickname as name back in the days). But is the facbook email and the windows live email match, it should merge them right ?

http://twitter.com/WINDOWSLIVE

They're on Twitter. Use that to talk to them Smiley

• User profile image
    CKurt

Harlequin said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

http://twitter.com/WINDOWSLIVE

They're on Twitter. Use that to talk to them Smiley

Twitter is not talking , i want a decent conversation. And the team is probbaly not on twitter, the marketing department is.

• User profile image
    kettch

CKurt said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*

Twitter is not talking , i want a decent conversation. And the team is probbaly not on twitter, the marketing department is.

Unless you've tried every possible avenue of communication, you can't say who is on the other end. Use the official channels. Just because they don't communicate in the way that you think they should doesn't mean you shouldn't still try, and it doesn't mean they aren't listening.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

kettch said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Unless you've tried every possible avenue of communication, you can't say who is on the other end. Use the official channels. Just because they don't communicate in the way that you think they should doesn't mean you shouldn't still try, and it doesn't mean they aren't listening.

https://feedback.live.com/eform.aspx?productkey=wlmessenger

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmaildesktop 

• User profile image
    CKurt

kettch said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

I know they are listenig, but somehow i miss an official place to give feedback about the Bèta. (not the current products).  I would like a forum where i can start a topic and know if somebody from the team answers.

Comments on a blog or on a video are not a good feedback mechanism. You have to read everything to finnaly maybe get your answer. A connect site for a bèta product seems like the right sollution (not only to file bugs but also give opinions).

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

CKurt said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

I know they are listenig, but somehow i miss an official place to give feedback about the Bèta. (not the current products).  I would like a forum where i can start a topic and know if somebody from the team answers.

Comments on a blog or on a video are not a good feedback mechanism. You have to read everything to finnaly maybe get your answer. A connect site for a bèta product seems like the right sollution (not only to file bugs but also give opinions).

The messenger feedback link contains an option for v2010 (the beta), although the mail one doesn't. I agree it's not ideal and that a connect site would be better, however I don't think we can complain that bug's not fixed if we don't report it, however naf the mechanism for reporting may be.

• User profile image
    CKurt

GoddersUK said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

The messenger feedback link contains an option for v2010 (the beta), although the mail one doesn't. I agree it's not ideal and that a connect site would be better, however I don't think we can complain that bug's not fixed if we don't report it, however naf the mechanism for reporting may be.

The feedback link in messenger goes to a feedback page where you can select the 'version of messenger' you are using. And the 2010 bèta is not one of the options. this is clearly not the right place to give feedback...

I don't as much want to give 'bug' feedback, I want to give feeback about the experience and how some stuff can clearly work better or in a more logical way.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

CKurt said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

The feedback link in messenger goes to a feedback page where you can select the 'version of messenger' you are using. And the 2010 bèta is not one of the options. this is clearly not the right place to give feedback...

I don't as much want to give 'bug' feedback, I want to give feeback about the experience and how some stuff can clearly work better or in a more logical way.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    CKurt

GoddersUK said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

The dutch page I get transfered to does not have that Wink

• User profile image
    CKurt

CKurt said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

The dutch page I get transfered to does not have that Wink

Source:http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2010/06/windows-live-sync-is-frustratingly-bad-it-could-be-awesome.ars

SkyDrive in name only

Bringing Live Mesh and Windows Live Sync together is certainly a step in the right direction. Making the cloud storage use SkyDrive is also obviously desirable. And yet it still somehow manages to be not very good.

The whole setup remains confused and highly fragmented. There is a basic, underlying issue with Microsoft's offering: though Live Sync calls its cloud sync "SkyDrive synced storage," it ain't. It's a completely separate system with a completely separate front-end that just happens to share the same name. In practice, it has nothing to do with SkyDrive at all, and that is a fatal flaw.

Why does this matter? Well, a few reasons. Though I wish the SkyDrive interface were as simple and familiar as Dropbox's, it does have some appealing features. For example, Office documents can be opened directly in Office Web Apps. This is clever and sensible of Microsoft; though the Office Web Apps are quite basic compared to their desktop counterparts, they're more than up to the task of reading and performing simple edits on documents.

But the integration only exists for "real" SkyDrive. Live Sync fake-SkyDrive? No Office Web App integration. The only thing I can do with Office documents stored in Live Sync's cloud storage is download and delete them—I can't choose to open them in Office Web. I can't even see them from Office Web.

Similarly, SkyDrive's neat photo album facilities? Not available for Live Sync files. For a picture to go into a photo album, it has to be in SkyDrive proper. SkyDrive lets me give files publicly accessible URLs. Same story: this is not for Live Sync files. They're separate.

What's more, there's not even any good way to move files between proper SkyDrive and fake-SkyDrive. Neither one is aware of the other. So even if I decide that I want to move or copy an Office document from my synced storage to SkyDrive (so that I can open it in Office Web, for example), I can't, unless I download the file locally and then manually re-upload.

What Microsoft has done is to take the existing Live Mesh product, shoehorn it into the Live Sync client application, and slap the label "SkyDrive" on it. The big problem with the old Live Mesh—it was completely disjointed from all of Microsoft's other cloud offerings—is retained

This is what consernce me the most and I could not have said it better. Okay maybe 5GB is to much to ask and it will have to wait for next version to get paided expantion. But the rest should have been in V1. Sync & Share.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.