Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

iPhone 4 reception problems: Jobs replies

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

The great thing about a company like Apple is that occasionally the CEO answers your support questions.

The worst thing about a company like Apple is that occasionally the CEO answers your support questions.

Apple responds to iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way.

• User profile image
    Pace

I liked this comment; 

"This is a product of the culture Apple has cultivated and the fans have bought into. Only Apple can get away with releasing a phone that doesn't make phone calls because they know whatever they release, 600k people will buy it sight unseen. Then when problems start rolling in, Apple knows they can blame the user and they will take it in stride.

For all you people who spent all day refreshing the Apple store webpage trying to get a preorder through, or stood in line for 3 days to be the first kid on your block to have the shiniest new toy: this is your fault. 

Now it's your responsibility to set it right by voting with your wallet. Return your iPhone and don't buy a new one until this is met with a response other than "Hold it differently"

Yet the iSheeps will still buy it.

• User profile image
    AndyC

iPhone - The phone you can't hold between calls without ruining your reception.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

AndyC said:

I had my iPhone delivered to me yesterday morning, been using it for a day and although the signal does drop when holding the bottom left corner I've had no issues with dropped calls and its been no worse (in fact better) than my previous 3GS.

I didn't stand in line at an Apple store and it took me 10 mins last monday to order it.

As usual people desperately want Apple to fail, its true with any company or person that has an overwhelming success, but the fact still remains the iPhone is still the best smartphone on the market by a long way and I'm no Apple fanboy trust me.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

AndyC said:

Surely you should be wearing clean, white cotton gloves before handling the perfection of the iPhone4?  You wouldn't wan't to sully it is your disgusting human imperfections.  

Herbie

• User profile image
    AndyC

leeappdalecom said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

I had my iPhone delivered to me yesterday morning, been using it for a day and although the signal does drop when holding the bottom left corner I've had no issues with dropped calls and its been no worse (in fact better) than my previous 3GS.

I didn't stand in line at an Apple store and it took me 10 mins last monday to order it.

As usual people desperately want Apple to fail, its true with any company or person that has an overwhelming success, but the fact still remains the iPhone is still the best smartphone on the market by a long way and I'm no Apple fanboy trust me.

I was being a touch facetious, of course. As I've said many times, the only reason I don't have an iPod/iPhone is that I find iTunes an utterly unbearable piece of software. The real issue here is that we are once again seeing the results of a product developed in such secrecy that you can't help but feel glaring flaws like this (and remember the ipod scratches?) only arise because the thing hasn't been allowed out of a closed environment for fear of being spotted. You have to wonder how long even the Apple faithful will put up with this kind of thing though.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I hope they have a big picture on how I should hold my phone. I am ignorant, I don't real manual most of the time. A big red warning instruction sticker covering the screen should lecture me well enough.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

AndyC said:
    leeappdalecom said:
    *snip*

I was being a touch facetious, of course. As I've said many times, the only reason I don't have an iPod/iPhone is that I find iTunes an utterly unbearable piece of software. The real issue here is that we are once again seeing the results of a product developed in such secrecy that you can't help but feel glaring flaws like this (and remember the ipod scratches?) only arise because the thing hasn't been allowed out of a closed environment for fear of being spotted. You have to wonder how long even the Apple faithful will put up with this kind of thing though.

I despise iTunes as well, but I tend to listen to a lot of music, and most phones have absolutely rubbish software both for synchronisation and the phone itself

• User profile image
    spivonious

Wait, so if you hold the bottom-left corner, you lose reception? Sucks for left-handed people. Wouldn't putting the antenna on the top of the phone make more sense?

Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple has no product testing division.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

spivonious said:

Wait, so if you hold the bottom-left corner, you lose reception? Sucks for left-handed people. Wouldn't putting the antenna on the top of the phone make more sense?

Sometimes I get the feeling that Apple has no product testing division.

This blog post clearly explains why the antenna of the iPhone (and every other modern phone) is at the bottom (it insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head).

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

TommyCarlier said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

This blog post clearly explains why the antenna of the iPhone (and every other modern phone) is at the bottom (it insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head).

I think it also explains the root of the problem

- "So, naturally, the design evolved to meet requirements - and efficient transmission and reception while being held by a human hand are simply not design requirements!" 

I've seen this being passed around the web, although it does go a bit over my head Tongue Out - http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/city5/iphone_4_sensitivity_to_fingers_explained_by_a/ 

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

leeappdalecom said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

I really wish people would quit saying that.  It is NOT a fact that the iPhone is the best smartphone on the market.  That is purely your opinion.  You should say: In my opinion the iPhone is the best smartphone on the market.

Sorry for the rant but I really hate when people try to pass opinion as fact.

• User profile image
    Ray7

magicalclick said:

I hope they have a big picture on how I should hold my phone. I am ignorant, I don't real manual most of the time. A big red warning instruction sticker covering the screen should lecture me well enough.

Well  Apple is here to alleviate your ignorance, sir! For the past few weeks they have been running ads showing exactly how to hold your phone:

Generic Forum Image

Oh, hang on…

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ray7 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Well  Apple is here to alleviate your ignorance, sir! For the past few weeks they have been running ads showing exactly how to hold your phone:

Generic Forum Image

Oh, hang on…

Steve can't even hold it right:

">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh" alt="Generic Forum Image">

Generic Forum Image">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">">http://iphonehold.tumblr.com/photo/1280/732961691/1/tumblr_l4jrjpzXi81qcwsmh">

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Ray7 said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

Oh, hang on…

I am confused, which way is the correct way? (I am jk, I know) Tongue Out

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Dovella

One, two  a one two trhee

Apple ?  #FAIL!!!!!!!!!

PS .PS

Microsoft , listen me 

Iphone 4 annoyng,  Iphone 3g and 3gs with IOs4 is mistake like ...... you remember switch from Xp to Vista ? 

Iphone user wants downgrade!!!!!!!!!!  LOOOL

now You can  pay with the same currency .. 

Go WP7 GO !!! Smiley

• User profile image
    elmer

Emperor Jobs: Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon faulty iPhone 4. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Dovella said:

One, two  a one two trhee

Apple ?  #FAIL!!!!!!!!!

PS .PS

Microsoft , listen me 

Iphone 4 annoyng,  Iphone 3g and 3gs with IOs4 is mistake like ...... you remember switch from Xp to Vista ? 

Iphone user wants downgrade!!!!!!!!!!  LOOOL

now You can  pay with the same currency .. 

Go WP7 GO !!! Smiley

iOS4 is running just fine on my 3GS.

Go Dovella Go!!1!

PS: For those having reception problems from fleshly interference, perhaps Phone Fingers  will help. And they're so stylish too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.