Coffeehouse Thread

156 posts

What do you want to know?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Charles

Niners,

We are starting our FY11 planning today, so we want to include your wish lists in our goals and deliverables for the upcoming year.

What do you wantt to learn, to know, to see? Who do you want to meet? What do you want from Channel 9 this year?

C

• ZippyV

- Summer of 9 contest

- More bandwidth

- More Hanselman (get him fired from his current position and then hire him into the C9 team but don't tell him)

• CKurt

FY11 = budget planning? => Hire more C9 developpers to speed up C9 Revolution

I want to see more "old school" Channel 9 video's. Talking with the person who wrote code or designed the architecture of a new product. And know why they did certain things in a certain way (thinking back to Live Mesh video's that went into dept about why they uses XML/json to communicate , how P2P worked,..). The new products I think about are: new Windows Live (essentials and web) , Kinect , new Xbox console hardware , revolution 9 progress , silverlight 4/5 team ...

Video's not demoing the functionality but explaining what is going on on the backend.

Personal thing: It would be cool to see and end-to-end video about windows Azure. What does that datacenter look like? What happens when you add a new container? How is Azure maintained and how does the setup look for somebody monitering Azure datacenter? (not how developpers can moniter there app running in Azure)

• Ian2

Hows about a really cool Channel 9 Windows phone 7 app - open sourced as a training aid perhaps?

• MasterPi

- C9 Windows Phone App Content (winner takes home C9 source code)

- site architectural diagrams

- C9 Guy doll version 3 (or 2) : push to talk

- dovella interview

• kettch

It's been quite a while since we had a kernel architecture video. The last one (pre-Vista, I believe) was pure awesome. There have been some since that talk about specific optimizations, but seeing the overall work and talking about cleaning up the dependencies and modernizing the older stuff would be cool. Or, whatever they are allowed to talk about.

WP7 stuff is a must. The specific programming topics are cool, but there are a lot of things that we'd like to know about. How will the OTA updates work? How often will the OS and API's be updated? How often will the hardware be updated?

I think we'd all like to meet the new members of the C9 team.

• Bas

Loads and load of two-way communication (in other words, lots of Q&A's) with the Windows Home Server team. Also seeing the mythical and rumored Windows Media Player team - if there is such a beast - on camera would be mindblowing.

• kettch

Bas said:

Loads and load of two-way communication (in other words, lots of Q&A's) with the Windows Home Server team. Also seeing the mythical and rumored Windows Media Player team - if there is such a beast - on camera would be mindblowing.

++;

I like the way Tina has been posting threads asking for questions.

Do that for more videos.

• figuerres

# 1 priority:  make C9 work better.

fix the code, get Rev9 going or buy a system that works from a vendor or hire more devs whatever it takes.

make it work right. make it stable.

after that dump the more polished marketing stuff and get back to the roots of a C9 video, shaky hand held camera and folks who do not know what the talk will be.... surprise them! make it real!

and finally my personal "wish we could do this but i am sure we can't"  put folks on the spot!

like hey what the &^^# happend to this "INSERT NAME OF PRODUCT HERE"

like my question about Virtual PC and 64 bit.

or why Office x64 and WIndows Phones fail to work together - well outlook sync anyway.

or what about Steady State and the long list of folks begging for support in Windows 7 for that tool.

There are a bunch of things like that that i wish I could have a one on one chat with the PM's about why they failed to handle them...

Not that i want to make fun of them but rather I would sure like to find out why and what will it take to make it happen.

then here is a very targeted request:

Talk to the "Point of Service" folks who publish the MS POS for .Net

right now it's under the Windows Embeded but that really is just WRONG!

it should be for any version of windows and needs to be updated to install with .Net 4.0

I am using it with 4.0 but the customers have to install 2.0 and 4.0 versions of .Net to use it.

it has an installer that requires the 2.0 .net for no good reason that i can find.

if you do not know what POS is it's the software for doing stuff for point of sale systems, like printing the sales slip on the 40 column printers you see everyday at stores and fast food places.

• Justin Bailey

Keep up the "going deep" interviews, and make sure they don't look at the camera! I love the conversations you post and have probably watched them all.

More Erik! More Brian! Get some more brains out of MSR and put them on.

Go to England and follow Simon Peyton-Jones around for a week. Get him and Bill in a room and see what happens - how cool would that be???

Keep up the good work and don't change the format. Especially keep PR/Marketing hacks out. I love going deep, don't change a thing!

• Bas

Adding my vote to suggestions by others: making C9 work - while we're still young (some of us don't have much more time to go, dammit!) - HAS to be top priority.

A contest woud be cool.

More Hanselman.

Less marketing videos. Less Sarah Ford having interviews with people at a desk with a scripted conversation in which you're trying to convince us of how awesome the latest Microsoft technology is. More videos of just walking in with a video camera and asking what people are doing. Sarah can do this too. Tongue Out

• MasterPi

Bas said:

Adding my vote to suggestions by others: making C9 work - while we're still young (some of us don't have much more time to go, dammit!) - HAS to be top priority.

A contest woud be cool.

More Hanselman.

Less marketing videos. Less Sarah Ford having interviews with people at a desk with a scripted conversation in which you're trying to convince us of how awesome the latest Microsoft technology is. More videos of just walking in with a video camera and asking what people are doing. Sarah can do this too. Tongue Out

Interviews in which you don't notify the softie(s) beforehand.

"Softies at the coffeemachine". Big Smile

• davewill

I want to know where Microsoft technology is heading a year plus from now.  It is very hard trying to get up to speed on new technologies when we haven't been preparing in little bits for it leading up to release.

Winforms being deprecated for WPF is an example.  It came out of nowhere.  At least it seemed like it.  I suspect Crystal Reports is dead internally as well given SSRS but Crystal has such a long history that it isn't something to bet on.

• rhm

University of Channel 9 Smiley

More seriously though, although the studio productions are great, it'd be nice to have more of the old style office-invasion interviews with devs.

• vesuvius

davewill said:

I want to know where Microsoft technology is heading a year plus from now.  It is very hard trying to get up to speed on new technologies when we haven't been preparing in little bits for it leading up to release.

Winforms being deprecated for WPF is an example.  It came out of nowhere.  At least it seemed like it.  I suspect Crystal Reports is dead internally as well given SSRS but Crystal has such a long history that it isn't something to bet on.

WPF has been in development for nearly 10 years, so it has not come from nowhere.

• CKurt

rhm said:

University of Channel 9 Smiley

More seriously though, although the studio productions are great, it'd be nice to have more of the old style office-invasion interviews with devs.

++

Studio productions are great sometimes, but indeed GO to there office. Don't post video's recorded at the C9 table that are only talking about stuff you can also read on the announcement blog post of the product...

Some examples of video's that have a to high 'marketing' feel to them. Or just feel like an 'announcement video' and don't really tell you anything new:
    I'd much prefer 'going deep' style interviews about this technology.

So indeed more video's recorded in offices (old school). The first 9 pages on channel 9 don't have any video on it recorded in an office talking to the man who wrote the code...

• vesuvius

Soma blamed you for not seeing him often enough, and only at product launch, so it would be good to see him.

Rico Mariani for the move to WPF in Dev 10, it is a phenomenal release with all the features.

I would love to see Dave Cutler.  Why? read the statement from Microsoft; Cutler is generally considered one of the top programmers worldwide

Please continue to find the larnier's and people of that sort, the unscripted, I did not reherse interviews are always great, pure edification.

Beth Massi needs a better camera, as her excellent shows could be better presented in the word of HD screens.

Looking at the internet recently, sites like guardian.co.uk or arstechnica.com are all defaulting to having mobile versions of their site. People are accessing the web from all sorts of nooks and crannies now. It would be suicide not to have a version of the site targeted at mobile devices, not just Windows Phone 7.

Dr Meijers series on functional programming theory was excellent, but the world of computer science is a wide one, another series like that would be welcome.

• ZippyV

vesuvius said:

Soma blamed you for not seeing him often enough, and only at product launch, so it would be good to see him.

Rico Mariani for the move to WPF in Dev 10, it is a phenomenal release with all the features.

I would love to see Dave Cutler.  Why? read the statement from Microsoft; Cutler is generally considered one of the top programmers worldwide

Please continue to find the larnier's and people of that sort, the unscripted, I did not reherse interviews are always great, pure edification.

Beth Massi needs a better camera, as her excellent shows could be better presented in the word of HD screens.

Looking at the internet recently, sites like guardian.co.uk or arstechnica.com are all defaulting to having mobile versions of their site. People are accessing the web from all sorts of nooks and crannies now. It would be suicide not to have a version of the site targeted at mobile devices, not just Windows Phone 7.

Dr Meijers series on functional programming theory was excellent, but the world of computer science is a wide one, another series like that would be welcome.

Dave Cutler doesn't do any interviews.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.