Coffeehouse Thread

156 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you want to know?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

ZippyV said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Dave Cutler doesn't do any interviews.

I know he does not, but he is generally considered by a big part of the world to be the creme de la creme.

I am not asking for 30 minutes, 5 minutes would do. He is too important for us to never get to see. I think Tina or someone did a Charles Simonyi interview (on his terms) that a lot of people missed. He is part of the intrinsic fabric of the company, that leaves us all burning with curiosity.

• User profile image
    exoteric

vesuvius said:

Soma blamed you for not seeing him often enough, and only at product launch, so it would be good to see him.

Rico Mariani for the move to WPF in Dev 10, it is a phenomenal release with all the features.

I would love to see Dave Cutler.  Why? read the statement from Microsoft; Cutler is generally considered one of the top programmers worldwide

Please continue to find the larnier's and people of that sort, the unscripted, I did not reherse interviews are always great, pure edification.

Beth Massi needs a better camera, as her excellent shows could be better presented in the word of HD screens.

Looking at the internet recently, sites like guardian.co.uk or arstechnica.com are all defaulting to having mobile versions of their site. People are accessing the web from all sorts of nooks and crannies now. It would be suicide not to have a version of the site targeted at mobile devices, not just Windows Phone 7.

Dr Meijers series on functional programming theory was excellent, but the world of computer science is a wide one, another series like that would be welcome.

More Soma would be good but his interviews should be a little more strategic and deep.

Don't ask people who don't want to be interviewed. Their work is more important than their word, after all.

I guess we'll have a lecture series with Meijer on Rx. It would make sense to set aside some time for RxJS as well as RxC++ in that series. Integrating Rx with the "Javascript ecosystem" (e.g. jQuery). Also, something about "Real World Rx" - dog fooding Rx inside Microsoft. I personally love dog fodding stories, even more than user stories in general.

• User profile image
    figuerres

davewill said:

I want to know where Microsoft technology is heading a year plus from now.  It is very hard trying to get up to speed on new technologies when we haven't been preparing in little bits for it leading up to release.

Winforms being deprecated for WPF is an example.  It came out of nowhere.  At least it seemed like it.  I suspect Crystal Reports is dead internally as well given SSRS but Crystal has such a long history that it isn't something to bet on.

Dave: IMHO CR has  been dead for a*LONG* time...

they have been sold how many times in the last 10 years?

(sold from one company to another)

I stopped recomending and using them when they flat out told me that a layout bug that was very clearly thier bug would only be looked at if the company i was with would buy a major site lic.

when hit with "yeah it's our bug and we might possibly think about fixing it if you hand us a check for like $50K" killed the deal after that i have never used them. this was about 2001 to date it.

• User profile image
    Charles

Keep them coming.
    C

PS: University 9. I love this. Smiley

• User profile image
    Dan

CKurt said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

++

Studio productions are great sometimes, but indeed GO to there office. Don't post video's recorded at the C9 table that are only talking about stuff you can also read on the announcement blog post of the product...

Some examples of video's that have a to high 'marketing' feel to them. Or just feel like an 'announcement video' and don't really tell you anything new:
    I'd much prefer 'going deep' style interviews about this technology.

So indeed more video's recorded in offices (old school). The first 9 pages on channel 9 don't have any video on it recorded in an office talking to the man who wrote the code...

One of the reasons we use the studio instead of offices is that it, in many ways, it makes the lives of content contributors easier. For example, we don't have to worry about lighting, audio, screen capture not working, etc, we just show up at the studio, and Michael, our rock star camera man/editor, does all the hard work of capturing and editing the content, which frees our time to do more types of content.

In that sense, we (people recording content) just focus on the interview in the studio, instead of all of the other parts, including things we aren't as good at Michael at doing (removing background audio, fixing funky color problems, etc).  Plus the screen capture card in the studio is awesome and, if you're doing a demo, it beats pointing a camera at a screen pretty handily.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do office interviews, I'm just calling out why there's a preference to using the studio instead.

• User profile image
    kettch

Dan said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

One of the reasons we use the studio instead of offices is that it, in many ways, it makes the lives of content contributors easier. For example, we don't have to worry about lighting, audio, screen capture not working, etc, we just show up at the studio, and Michael, our rock star camera man/editor, does all the hard work of capturing and editing the content, which frees our time to do more types of content.

In that sense, we (people recording content) just focus on the interview in the studio, instead of all of the other parts, including things we aren't as good at Michael at doing (removing background audio, fixing funky color problems, etc).  Plus the screen capture card in the studio is awesome and, if you're doing a demo, it beats pointing a camera at a screen pretty handily.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do office interviews, I'm just calling out why there's a preference to using the studio instead.

I know I definitely see a difference in the comfort level of the interviewees when they are in the studio. There is a completely different atmosphere when you are in somebody's office. They aren't intimidated by the lights and cameras when they can be in their own environment. If they want to scribble on the whiteboard, then they can.

I know it saves you guys a lot of work, but I really don't care about screen captures or fancy stuff. Intimate casual conversations are what made C9 great, and I don't think that you can accurately replicate that inside the harsh artificial environment of the studio.

• User profile image
    Charles

kettch said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

I know I definitely see a difference in the comfort level of the interviewees when they are in the studio. There is a completely different atmosphere when you are in somebody's office. They aren't intimidated by the lights and cameras when they can be in their own environment. If they want to scribble on the whiteboard, then they can.

I know it saves you guys a lot of work, but I really don't care about screen captures or fancy stuff. Intimate casual conversations are what made C9 great, and I don't think that you can accurately replicate that inside the harsh artificial environment of the studio.

We will continue to do both. There is not, nor has there ever been, an EitherOr monad, just a Both Smiley

Sometimes, the studio is the best place to shoot demo-heavy pieces, lectures and conversational pieces. Sometimes, the office is the best place (like today's impromptu Archivist interview). Sometimes, Michael comes with us to offices to shoot high quality OldSchool (like the IE team interviews, Larry's NUI pieces, etc). Since you want more of this, and we asked you what you want, we will deliver.

Plurality is a good thing!

Keep on posting,

C

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Lectures on lambda calculus.  I can't find any.  Category theory as well, as it relates to programming.

• User profile image
    Charles

Richard.Hein said:

Lectures on lambda calculus.  I can't find any.  Category theory as well, as it relates to programming.

This is in the works Smiley A new series of Lectures on category theory, "Category 9", with Erik Meijer and peers. How does that sound? Lamda Calculus as well.

Stay tuned.

C

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I really enjoy the Going Deep series. I'm not sure how the schedule is arranged, but it would be nice if some of the shows had an up-comming show schedule.

I would also like more interactiveness in the site, contests are one way of bring that into fruition. And, by contest, I don't mean if you can name that code-name you get a book. Although its hard to complain about getting swag, I'd prefer to solve problems like the last April fools post.

-Josh

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Charles said:
    Richard.Hein said:
    *snip*

This is in the works Smiley A new series of Lectures on category theory, "Category 9", with Erik Meijer and peers. How does that sound? Lamda Calculus as well.

Stay tuned.

C

What was the show where Erik was talking about SKI combinators?

• User profile image
    Charles

JoshRoss said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

What was the show where Erik was talking about SKI combinators?

It wasn't a show. We were going to use a giant SKI combinator pattern in our April Fools technomadness... Is that what you're asking? (and how would you know this? Smiley )

Or, do you want Erik to do a lecture on the subject?

C

• User profile image
    LarryLarsen

kettch said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

Michael loves to get out of the studio too, so we'll definitely be hitting more offices this year.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

Charles said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

It wasn't a show. We were going to use a giant SKI combinator pattern in our April Fools technomadness... Is that what you're asking? (and how would you know this? Smiley )

Or, do you want Erik to do a lecture on the subject?

C

I cannot recall hearing about the big SKI combinator, now Church numerals is another story. This is another reason why we need show transcriptions.  The only reference that I could find was in the comments for Robert's interview with Erik. Looking at the other comments there, I see Bart.  What happened to his excellent blog?

-Josh

• User profile image
    Charles

JoshRoss said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I cannot recall hearing about the big SKI combinator, now Church numerals is another story. This is another reason why we need show transcriptions.  The only reference that I could find was in the comments for Robert's interview with Erik. Looking at the other comments there, I see Bart.  What happened to his excellent blog?

-Josh

Bart still maintains his blog, but it appears to be broken (code error...). I've sent him an email...

C

• User profile image
    kettch

@Charles & Larry

I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for listening. We'll keep posting, if you guys keep listening.

• User profile image
    Clint

Ian2 said:

Hows about a really cool Channel 9 Windows phone 7 app - open sourced as a training aid perhaps?

Shhh, don't tell Fernandez but I've been secretly poking around on how to do that Smiley  Shows off how to consume rss, use Isolated storage, do media playback ...

Only issue is there is just one of me.  So if you guys want to whip up some mocks on how to do this or make it into a codeplex project, I'm all game. 

We could even do a Coding4Fun project on it.

• User profile image
    Bas

Clint said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Shhh, don't tell Fernandez but I've been secretly poking around on how to do that Smiley  Shows off how to consume rss, use Isolated storage, do media playback ...

Only issue is there is just one of me.  So if you guys want to whip up some mocks on how to do this or make it into a codeplex project, I'm all game. 

We could even do a Coding4Fun project on it.

Yes.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.