Coffeehouse Thread

156 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you want to know?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dan

    Charles said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

    We'll go deeper, but Dan posted a great intro today: http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Dan/Simon-Calvert--Scott-Hunter-WebMatrix-and-the-new-Razor-Syntax/

     

    Nice work, Fernandez.

    C

    Kiss-* Smiley 

     

    Charles - I'd like to see a going deep on how they built their parser and colorizer. The things that they're able to do to detect HTML versus code is pretty hot

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Dan said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    Kiss-* Smiley 

     

    Charles - I'd like to see a going deep on how they built their parser and colorizer. The things that they're able to do to detect HTML versus code is pretty hot

    And here I was trying to be nice... Smiley

     

    Sounds good. I'll set something up.

    C

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Thanks for all the great feedback, Niner! Smiley

     

    We will use these ideas in our content planning for this year.

     

    Keep on posting,

    C

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Charles said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

    And here I was trying to be nice... Smiley

     

    Sounds good. I'll set something up.

    C

    Setting up a GD on Razor for next week with one of the Razor devs. Niners, what do you want to know about Razor in addition to Dan's questions?

     

    C

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Dan said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    Kiss-* Smiley 

     

    Charles - I'd like to see a going deep on how they built their parser and colorizer. The things that they're able to do to detect HTML versus code is pretty hot

    Yea ditto on the parser (and what happens with legal HTML which isn't legal XML). Because I might want to steal it for something else Smiley

  • User profile image
    Charles

    blowdart said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

    Yea ditto on the parser (and what happens with legal HTML which isn't legal XML). Because I might want to steal it for something else Smiley

    Interview is taking place on Monday, July 12. Keep the questions coming.

    C

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Charles said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Interview is taking place on Monday, July 12. Keep the questions coming.

    C

    Somebody said that Razor is slower because it's more complicated than asp.net's <% ...%> stuff but Razor seems to be more simple?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    ZippyV said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    Somebody said that Razor is slower because it's more complicated than asp.net's <% ...%> stuff but Razor seems to be more simple?

    Razor seems like it would be harder to parse than regular ASP.NET, but that's a one-time cost when the page is compiled. After that I don't see any reason why it would perform any differently than regular ASP.NET.

  • User profile image
    Inker

    Charles said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

    We will continue to do both. There is not, nor has there ever been, an EitherOr monad, just a Both Smiley

     

    Sometimes, the studio is the best place to shoot demo-heavy pieces, lectures and conversational pieces. Sometimes, the office is the best place (like today's impromptu Archivist interview). Sometimes, Michael comes with us to offices to shoot high quality OldSchool (like the IE team interviews, Larry's NUI pieces, etc). Since you want more of this, and we asked you what you want, we will deliver.

     

    Plurality is a good thing!

     

    Keep on posting,

    C

    I would really like to know more about the compilation process of  managed code. Specifically how it relates to optimizations. Both for the language compiler (C#) but more importantly the jit compiler.

     

    - How does it determine when to inline

    - How does it determine when to unroll loops

    - Does it insert mmx/sse code, and if so, when and how. How about newer extensions, AVX etc.? How about a SIMD extension to the language like in mono. Simple stuff, like when I do a div, does it use x87 code or mmx? how is it determined.

     

    I always kinda thought it weird that the c# compiler itself apparently does very little optimization and the bulk of it is left to the jitter, which makes sense for platform specific optimizations, but even so, perhaps the c# compiler should simply provide more time consuming analysis of the source in form of the metadata to the jitter. What I'm getting at is that the c# compiler seems too damn fast to me. Make it Slower! Also jitter seems fast, but dont make that one slower, hehe. Engage Smiley

     

    Other than that, more Kernel stuff. How about a statement from the recent W8 leak, lol, though I doubt MS would like to comment on that.

     

    Oh, also, get Eric Lippert on camera. I'd love to see a lecture series with him.

  • User profile image
    contextfree`

    Charles said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Interview is taking place on Monday, July 12. Keep the questions coming.

    C

    watching the C9Live with Mark Russinovich reminded me that it would be great to see Mark give a tour of Windows architecture (as a C9 Lectures series?), not just in the context of "what's new in version X" but in general, like a video companion to his Windows Internals books. or if there's no time for that, a tour through the lens of a specific scenario (like the "what happens when you start Notepad?" brought up in the video) might be interesting.

  • User profile image
    felix9

    Charles said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    Interview is taking place on Monday, July 12. Keep the questions coming.

    C

    When I was looking at the razor code in scottgu's post, suddenly I remembered Lucian Wischik once said in one of his presentation on language design, answering a question about why c# doesnt have xml literals, "I have told Anders at least once recently that if c# has implemented xml literals this wont be a problem", Lucian didnt mention what the 'this' is in his talk, but I guess it could be the razor parser ! hmmm....... Smiley

     

    so its all about what the '<' symbol means right ?

     

    .... but can you use xml literals in VBHTML ??? Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    We need more with Scott Hanselman Smiley

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    This might be a strange request, but could we get a behind-the-scenes show about Channel9? Like what kind of things are done to keep the content flowing, how are favorite shows are put together, what kind of tools the admins have for combating spam, etc.

     

    How is that for an idea? It would be an introspective show on introspectivism, tail recursion at its best. This is very exciting.

     

    -Josh

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    JoshRoss said:

    This might be a strange request, but could we get a behind-the-scenes show about Channel9? Like what kind of things are done to keep the content flowing, how are favorite shows are put together, what kind of tools the admins have for combating spam, etc.

     

    How is that for an idea? It would be an introspective show on introspectivism, tail recursion at its best. This is very exciting.

     

    -Josh

    Who would ask the questions though? Would have to be someone not of Channel9. Which could be funny as heck.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    blowdart said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    Who would ask the questions though? Would have to be someone not of Channel9. Which could be funny as heck.

    We could tag team them. You from the inside, me from the weirdside.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    PaoloM said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

    We could tag team them. You from the inside, me from the weirdside.

    Not a bad idea! Maybe you guys should do a Channel 9 piece on Channel 9. Keep it OldSchool -> walk around the offices of the team, meet the people behind the 9 ball...

    C

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Charles said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

    Not a bad idea! Maybe you guys should do a Channel 9 piece on Channel 9. Keep it OldSchool -> walk around the offices of the team, meet the people behind the 9 ball...

    C

    It would be horribly tempting to make ball comments.

     

    Yea, there might be a lot of editing needed.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    blowdart said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    Who would ask the questions though? Would have to be someone not of Channel9. Which could be funny as heck.

    I'd love to see Minh interview the C9 dev team.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.