Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

a video i'd like to see

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

Hey all.

A video i would like to see (and some blogs perhaps) is one of any students doing a 1 year industrial placement at Microsoft.  It'd be nice to see what they do during their days, how gruelling it is working for you guys and etc etc.  I'd find this intresting myself as MS is somewhere i'd like to apply for in my 3rd year (my placement year).

oh and another thing that'd be rather intresting i feel is if you widened it,  Let the guys from the William Gates Research Centre here in Cambridge, England send videos of what theyre upto and a day in the life of a MS research guy.

Jaz

• User profile image
    ThomasAesir

I'd like to see some technical discussions (video tutorials) on C#, .net deployment models, database connections and asp.net. I reamember seeing a .Net Show video that touched a bit deployment models but I wanted them to get more into the nitty gritty.

The videos in general should be longer. At least 12 minutes each with a download option (I hate ................ streaming ...............videos).

I think that developers would really appreciate tutorials, I would Smiley

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

Wonderful! Videos of interns at Microsoft! That would be awesome! Wink (no sarcasm I promise).. I'd really like to see some of them up on video..

Jake

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Jaz wrote:
    Let the guys from the William Gates Research Centre here in Cambridge, England send videos of what theyre up to and a day in the life of a MS research guy.

Speaking as an ex-researcher from the lab, I can say that life there isn't quite as interrupt-driven as we've seen in most of the videos so far Smiley  I'd be happy to make introductions if the Channel9 crew wants to pursue this.

(Also, did you get the name right? The university lab is in the William Gates building, whereas the Microsoft lab is named for Roger Needham, no?)

Intern videos are a very cool idea.

• User profile image
    Sampy

ThomasAesir wrote:
    I reamember seeing a .Net Show video that touched a bit deployment models but I wanted them to get more into the nitty gritty.

As the writer of a deployment blog whose freetime is slowly increasing, would you be more interested in MSI information, VS Setup projects, or more forward looking info about ClickOnce and what we've got up our sleeve for Whidbey. I'm most knowledgable about the latter but I can put together some information from my team (who worked on VS Setup projects in 2002/2003) if you have MSI queries.

• User profile image
    ThomasAesir

Sampy wrote:

As the writer of a deployment blog whose freetime is slowly increasing, would you be more interested in MSI information, VS Setup projects, or more forward looking info about ClickOnce and what we've got up our sleeve for Whidbey. I'm most knowledgable about the latter but I can put together some information from my team (who worked on VS Setup projects in 2002/2003) if you have MSI queries.

I'm really interested ClickOnce and how it deals with security  settings. I'm planning on creating C# game that uses managed direct3d. However even though its managed direct3d it is still treated, security wise, as unmanaged code.

I love how ClickOnce is able to recognise the app version and download a new version when available. I'd like to know more about this and how it might be used to only download certain sections of an application when they are needed. For instance, you might want the client to only download Level 2 after he has completed Level 1.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Done:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/misampso/archive/2004/05/06/127570.aspx

Any more questions about ClickOnce?

• User profile image
    lenn

We are going to do some stuff on Click Once for sure, look for that in the future. Great questions and topics, keep em coming.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.