Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How have things changed in the past 6 years?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

After Charles' comment in the "Has Microsoft considered contributing to the WINE project to get 16-bit Windows programs working on 64-bit Windows?" thread, I took the opportunity to look at my old posts from 6 years ago and I find them to be somewhat embarrassing. I dislike a few things about my writing style from back then. In particular, I dislike my:

• Use of emoticons to express feelings such as embarrassment
    • Use of ... to express incomplete thoughts (because all thoughts should be complete)
    • Use of shortenings in place of full words, such as devs instead of developers.
    Six years ago, I was in high school, I had my own website (a pokemon fan site) and the only programming language I knew was PHP. I loved Windows greatly, but I wanted more than anything to learn how to write real programs in a real programming language. I also had such horrible mathematics teachers that I had decided to never pursue any more mathematics than I actually needed to know.
    Now I am a senior applied math/computer science student that wants to become a graduate student in 2011. I know everything I wanted to know about programming back then. My website is no longer on the internet. While I envisioned myself mastering computer science (mastering is a bad word to use, but it is what I would have used back then), I no longer plan to use it in the pursuit of a PhD in Biotechnology. I turned out to be a terrible organic chemist, so I have set much more realistic expectations for myself; now I am going to use my computer science skills to obtain a PhD in computer science.
    So how have things changed for you?
  • User profile image
    spivonious

Six years ago I was finishing up my third year of college. I had transferred from a pure science/engineering university to a more liberal arts university the year before and added a music major to my computer science major. I had been dating my future wife for 3 months. My writing style hasn't changed much, at least I don't think it has. I still treat web forums as informal, so emoticons, abbreviations, and ellipses abound... Smiley

Now I have a B.S. in Computer Science, a B.A. in Music, a wife, a house, a dog, I've been to Europe, I'm making enough money to live comfortably, and I'm using both of my degrees (comp sci for work, music for the groups I play with in my spare time).

• User profile image
    Charles

I have gray hair and my forehead (and stomach) has grown...

C

• User profile image
    Bass

Good luck with the Ph.D! Smiley I hope to be following in your footsteps pretty soon (I'm starting small, masters degree)

• User profile image
    zian

6 years ago, I was panicking about passing a chemistry class and Spanish class (along with their respective AP tests). I still panic about things I don't really understand.

I've gone from knowing BASIC and a bit of VB .NET to feeling comfortable with a wide range of languages and having a much bigger toolset courtesy of UC Irvine.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Six years ago I was in Victoria, BC, working as a consultant. My daily tasks included a lot of Java and Websphere, XML, HL7 and trying to figure out how to manage dev teams scattered across the globe.

I also had no idea what was going to happen to me two years later Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Six years ago I was jobless. It was awesome!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.