Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Introducing Style Jukebox (Beta)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Johnny Alex

Hello everyone! 

My name is Johnny and I am a software developer. During the last 3 years I worked on a media player called Style Jukebox and now I pleased to announce you Style Jukebox (Beta 1). I want to share it with this community, because of your experience regarding Windows applications.

I'm looking forward for your feedback!

Download Style Jukebox

• User profile image
    Ian2

It looks great but it is probably going to be a tough market to break.

http://blog.stylejukebox.com/

• User profile image
    Johnny Alex

Ian2 said:

It looks great but it is probably going to be a tough market to break.

http://blog.stylejukebox.com/

Thank you for your feedback! For the begging I want to have a selected market. Also, Style Jukebox requires a good computer to run so it doesn't target all Windows. It targets Windows 7 and Vista users, and Windows XP with good pcs users. 

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I haven't run the program, but the information on the website shows that it doesn't offer any feature I don't already have in WMP or Winamp. I can't really see any compelling selling-points. Can you sum up in a sentance what makes your media player somehow special or different?

If it's just another DirectShow-based player I'm not particularly interested (nor impressed, to be honest). Other players like VLC (and Winamp, to an extent) can make use of their own decoders which is their only saving grace for their underwhelming UI.

• User profile image
    Johnny Alex

W3bbo said:

I haven't run the program, but the information on the website shows that it doesn't offer any feature I don't already have in WMP or Winamp. I can't really see any compelling selling-points. Can you sum up in a sentance what makes your media player somehow special or different?

If it's just another DirectShow-based player I'm not particularly interested (nor impressed, to be honest). Other players like VLC (and Winamp, to an extent) can make use of their own decoders which is their only saving grace for their underwhelming UI.

Style Jukebox, has first all a fresh new user interface, based on Windows Presentation Foundation - so its hardware accelerated, and under this user interface has a lot of features that makes organizing library easier and more enjoyable: folder watch, external search, grid view, video preview while running,  background customizer, a lot of more. On the technical side, it has its own codecs for Audio files (FLAC for example) and uses Media Foundation on Vista/7 (result in hardware accelerated).

Just a fact now: it isn't smart from you to criticize the player without even downloading it and second thing that I want to say you is that not everything is about money, selling or getting users (and maybe that's why you didn't saw any compelling selling points): maybe it's just about developing the player that one considers it better for a specific target, not necessarily for all users.

• User profile image
    Bass

It's not bad.

• User profile image
    OrigamiCar

Johnny Alex said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Style Jukebox, has first all a fresh new user interface, based on Windows Presentation Foundation - so its hardware accelerated, and under this user interface has a lot of features that makes organizing library easier and more enjoyable: folder watch, external search, grid view, video preview while running,  background customizer, a lot of more. On the technical side, it has its own codecs for Audio files (FLAC for example) and uses Media Foundation on Vista/7 (result in hardware accelerated).

Just a fact now: it isn't smart from you to criticize the player without even downloading it and second thing that I want to say you is that not everything is about money, selling or getting users (and maybe that's why you didn't saw any compelling selling points): maybe it's just about developing the player that one considers it better for a specific target, not necessarily for all users.

I'll download and take a look at this over the weekend, but until then, have you focussed at all on the enhancements you can provide for touchscreen computers - such as 'iPhone' style scrolling, easy browsing, selecting etc without a keyboard and mouse? That section of the market can be huge, there are a lot more touchscreen users who have a dedicated touchscreen type pc (like the HP touchsmarts, or the Dell Studio 19's) to use as their 'stereo' system.

My girlfriend is having a huge party next weekend, and we're providing the music via a touchsmart pc and this: http://www.albumplayer.com which is probably one of the better touch jukebox apps out there. Hopefully you've been looking at this app during the development of your own?

Oh, and don't worry about W3bbo, his heart is in the right place, but he tends to be very blunt in his posts - I'm sure he didn't mean to be rude!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Johnny Alex said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I'm running the program now.

After installation, it took a good 30 seconds to start-up (I have a Core 2 Quad Q9450 system), I attribute this to the .NET framework initialisation, JIT, and WPF startup. Whilst this isn't your fault or responsibility, it would be helpful if your application showed some kind of splash-screen so I knew my computer was doing something without having to open the Task Manager.

I then tried to add my 8000-strong MP3 collection. The UI froze for about 15 seconds and had repainting artifacts. Eventually it showed me a list filled with filenames whilst it extracted metadata in the background. Its speed is considerably slower than Winamp (which processes all 8000 tracks in about 2 minutes).

The library doesn't let me sort by File Path (which sorts items by Album Artist, then Album Date), instead it sorts by Artist then Album Name.

The adverts in the top right corner are enough reason for me not to use it. A lot of the UI controls have artwork but no explanation text or tooltips. For example, what does the "L" shaped video at the bottom during video playback do?

The find-as-you-type feature works (better than WMP's which still has none) though there is some lag.

Because your program is built on WPF it also means it inherits its downsides, such as (at times) dodgy and blurry text rendering, linearly-interpolated transition effects (i.e. no trigonometric or power transitions) and ugliness if you're running a non-standard visual style. I'll be honest and say your jukebox program really isn't the most attractive or aesthetic of them all. Whilst it (narrowly) beats WMP11's godawful appearance it sure isn't Bento. Simple white/grey/black gradients don't make something automatically aesthetic.

Video playback uses a passive scrubber (a la WMP), this is pretty inexcusable today. We've had active scrubbers on rival platforms since the 1990s (e.g. Quicktime Player). Media Foundation provides everything necessary to implement this.

UPDATE: Ugh, I just saw that your program decided to unilaterally change my file type associations to your program without giving me any option during setup. I also can't find any Settings or Options window.

Also, the "cycling" of the window title text is off-putting.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Johnny Alex said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Just in response to your reply:

• WPF = WPF hardware acceleration is overrated. You can have smooth and performant UIs in other platforms, WPF just makes it easier, however it also makes it easier produce applications that fly in the face of established Windows HIGs and conventions. I'll bluntly state that besides VS2010 and the non-public FrogDesign WPF demo applications I've never seen an attractive and aesthetic WPF-based application, and yours is no exception.
    • Folder Watch = we've had that since WMP9
    • External search = eh what?
    • Grid view = again, another WMP and Media Center feature since 2005
    • Video preview = fair enough. MCE has had this from the start, but WMP and other desktop jukeboxes don't.
    • Background customizer = all I'm seeing is a tile of really low-quality album art repeated along the top of the window, the selection is pretty small too, it's just showing the same 11 covers over and over...
    • "Has its own codecs" = after leaving the program open for a short while I got a message instructing me to download the K-Lite Codec Pack.... K-Lite is just a bunch of DirectShow filters, I stopped using it years ago in-place of CCCP. Why is this necessary when you're already using the BASS library?

I also see you have attempted to thwart disassembly attempts by running through Dotfuscator.

"It isn't smart from you to criticize the player without even downloading it" - that's right, that's why my initial post didn't criticise your software, just your website, for not adequately explaining what it was I was about to download.

I used the term "selling points" as an expression, refering to any kind of defining feature that "sells" your product to its users, not in any kind of literal marketing material sense.

I recognise this software is not aimed at me, I certainly have no use for it, but at the same time I can't see who would have a use for it considering that Windows' Media Center pretty much covers this ground already.

I'll remind you that you did post this on a public forum seeking feedback, and my posts are an example of what constructive negative feedback looks like. I've told you what I don't like about your application and why I don't like them or why I consider them unoriginal, and potential ways to improve things.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Johnny Alex said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Thank you for your feedback! For the begging I want to have a selected market. Also, Style Jukebox requires a good computer to run so it doesn't target all Windows. It targets Windows 7 and Vista users, and Windows XP with good pcs users. 

Sorry, I know this is really petty, but I've noticed it in several places on your web site as well, it's beginning, not begging

Also the app appears to crash about 10 seconds after load, so can't have a look.

Dump Summary
    ------------
    Dump File: WERFA78.tmp.mdmp : C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFA78.tmp.mdmp
    Last Write Time: 01/07/2010 18:52:50
    Process Name: Style Jukebox.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Style Jukebox\Style Jukebox.exe
    Process Architecture: x86
    Exception Code: 0xC0000005
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Heap Information: Not Present

System Information
    ------------------
    OS Version: 6.1.7600
    CLR Version(s): 2.0.50727.4927

• User profile image
    Johnny Alex

PerfectPhase said:
    Johnny Alex said:
    *snip*

Sorry, I know this is really petty, but I've noticed it in several places on your web site as well, it's beginning, not begging

Also the app appears to crash about 10 seconds after load, so can't have a look.

Dump Summary
    ------------
    Dump File: WERFA78.tmp.mdmp : C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFA78.tmp.mdmp
    Process Name: Style Jukebox.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Style Jukebox\Style Jukebox.exe
    Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

System Information
    ------------------

Thank you for telling me about this mistake. About the app crashing...I don't know what do say you. If you can give me more details...it will be appreciated

• User profile image
    Johnny Alex

PerfectPhase said:
    Johnny Alex said:
    *snip*

Dump Summary
    ------------

System Information
    ------------------

Thank you for your feedback. I except bad feedback only when it has sense and I must be honest and say that you have some good arguments but some bad arguments too. I don't want to discuss about this. I want to thank you for your time and I will try to improve Style Jukebox as much as I can in this moment. 

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Johnny Alex said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Thank you for telling me about this mistake. About the app crashing...I don't know what do say you. If you can give me more details...it will be appreciated

I'll send you the dump file if it's any use. 

• User profile image
    exoteric

Johnny Alex said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Thank you for your feedback. I except bad feedback only when it has sense and I must be honest and say that you have some good arguments but some bad arguments too. I don't want to discuss about this. I want to thank you for your time and I will try to improve Style Jukebox as much as I can in this moment. 

Not a bad start. Is the volume slider logarithmic? I'd prefer linear. The UI halts a little bit when scanning the library initially, maybe some more asynchrony is in place.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.