Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Ha! Steve Balmer posted his MSDN home page.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    davewill

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

I hadn't noticed the MSDN home page until today.  Someone let Steve commit his code to the production repository.  Smiley

Love it.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

What are you talking about?

• User profile image
    Bass

• User profile image
    spivonious

On a sidenote, does anyone else strongly dislike the new page? It looks juvenile.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

spivonious said:

On a sidenote, does anyone else strongly dislike the new page? It looks juvenile.

I see four big link boxes at the top heading towards the four main developer sections, then two adverts for Visual Studio and MSDN Subscriptions respectively. Under that are a load of links.

Looks fine to me, am I missing something?

• User profile image
    davewill

W3bbo said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

I see four big link boxes at the top heading towards the four main developer sections, then two adverts for Visual Studio and MSDN Subscriptions respectively. Under that are a load of links.

Looks fine to me, am I missing something?

Above the four boxes.  http://cid-f635ae20b5c8d6d0.photos.live.com/self.aspx/My%20Photos/msdn%5E_developers.png

• User profile image
    jmzl666

spivonious said:

I don't like new design,  I go to the home page only to download stuff and the link use to be in the front page, now i have to click downloads and then click subscription downloads.

On another note i can't enter the blogs anymore, every time i try to associate my now old account nothing happens, i already check on live.com if I was using the right info but no matter what, i have to sign of (already signed in channel 9) to browse the blogs.

Edit: Know the download link appears in the front page, but in IE8 I cant read the main navigation bar because the background color is white.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

spivonious said:

Looks fine by me. I like the 4 big buttons. I love big buttons. Less talk, more giant buttons = greatness. Aka, El Camino website >>>>>>> UC Wesites. Enroll and pay bill with giant buttons >>>>> tiny links barried in pages of garbage.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    androidi

See what you mean. It screams "not made by real designer" and that 3x dev thing makes one think, is this a joke? ...

• User profile image
    vesuvius

androidi said:

See what you mean. It screams "not made by real designer" and that 3x dev thing makes one think, is this a joke? ...

For those old enough to remember the now infamous Ballmer tirade maybe, but from a pure usability point of view, then this is what it is all about.

If you press ctrl-alt-delete on vista or windows 7 you are  presented with a simple menu option. Do a b or c.The MSDN frontpage is unlikely to be frequented by professional developers, as they just go the C# or VB developer centres for example, the design of the page is to KISS.

The design of the website in terms of gradients etc. is a variation of what all of MSDN (including the blogs) has recently changed to, and it looks considerably better than previous, especially the blogs. Yes, developers, developers, developers is corny, but it is a bit like; have a nice day!

It is more about functionality (the previous site lacked) as opposed to focussing completely on aesthetics. If any critics have any links (you are developers after all) to any websites you have created that are better, please feel free to link to it (them)

• User profile image
    exoteric

androidi said:

It's great for new developers and developers that need to get jumpstarted into a new area. I have to agree with vesuvius on this one.

• User profile image
    Evok

I'm loving the new msdn. Not sure why so many don't like it. So much nicer to look at, even though I hardly ever go to the main page. It would be nice though if the links at the top were hover over drop down menus.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.