Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ASP.NET WebMatrix Beta

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

magicalclick said:

Looks really cool. I am actually thinking about learning ASP .NET, and I don't know want to buy SQLDB, so the compact for now is amazing. I want something like this because there are too many stuff in ASP .Net and I am indeed overwhelmed. This is much better as I want to really start building it one page at a time.

I am super glad I read this thread. This is so amazing for me.

Sql Express: Free

Sql Server Developer Edition (same as Enterprise but for development/test/demo only): 50 $/€

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo said:
    HumanCompiler said:
    *snip*

"Simpler" is subjective.

You'll see the ASP.NET advocates (who I find only really develop for internal web-applications) saying that data is simpler in ASP.NET because all you need is <asp:DataSource /> and <asp:DataGrid /> and then you'll have the pro-PHP lot with their simple C-style mysql_* functions.

So whilst it's true that ASP.NET is simpler in this regard, it isn't ideal because using that approach means sacrificing control over what you want to generate to the client. Your indie website developer is looking for something good-looking and unique, if he chose the "simple" ASP.NET solution he'd end up with something same-y and too rigid. He'd have to apply some major customizations to what ASP.NET gives you OOB to get something he wants, and the end result is something far more complicated than the PHP solution.

Case in point: to stop the brain-dead behaviour of a lot of the ASP.NET WebControls you need to redefine default.browser and put that into its own special directory, maybe throw in a web.config file. With PHP you can ship an entire application in a single *.php file (you can override php.ini settings and have full control over what's being generated), that's still something you can't do with ASP.NET.

I can draw analogies between your vision for ASP.NET as a "starter" solution as opposed to PHP and what WPF is to WinForms: yes, it's easier to make something simple, but in the vast majority of cases you end up with a software design and usability disaster (forgone conclusion about aesthetics too). We use MSPaint and not Photoshop for basic tasks for a reason, and this is the same thing.

Have you checked out the new Viewengine Razor?

• User profile image
    itsnotabug

cool stuff. reminds me of foxserv or the old wamp/lamp one-click web servers. curious though... could webmatrix be used in the following scenario through scripting the installer/writing out aspx files ahead of time (or other means)?

say.... i have a disconnected asp.net web app and i want a local instance of iis to run on a laptop, pointing to a local instance of sql. at some point in the future when the station is connected to the internet, the collected data is uploaded. could i build the locally runnable app (with supporting files) on the server beforehand, wrap it up in some kind of installer and use the all-in-one-click webmastrix to build the site and database for the disconnected app? is this feasible?

• User profile image
    magicalclick

A quick question,

Do I need a special .Net hoster for this? I have .Net4.0 hoster, but, it is not processing cshtml.

Thank you.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

magicalclick said:

A quick question,

Do I need a special .Net hoster for this? I have .Net4.0 hoster, but, it is not processing cshtml.

Thank you.

It should.  ASP.NET Web Pages is bin deployable.  Sounds like something isn't running that should.  Maybe ask about it over here: http://forums.asp.net/1224.aspx

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.