Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Amazon Woot

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Amazon just bought WOOT - Runs on ASP.Net.  Interesting to see what the future will bring for the site.

http://is.gd/diwrk

• User profile image
    qvp

How do I know that isn't a link to a shock site or something worse?! Mad

Doesn't it take you longer to use a URL shortener than the real URL? Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

qvp said:

Shortened link leads to:  http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/06/woot-ap/

For future reference, you can preview is.gd links by appending a - to the end of the URL, or by enabling automatic previews TinyURL has a similar feature, and Bit.ly has a preview plugin that will give the full address for any of the major shortening services on mouseover.

• User profile image
    Ian2

qvp said:

Not if I got it from a tweet in the first place.  Apologies if you have a dislike of shortcut URLs, I understand where you are coming from

Incidentally what does your profile shortcut stand for?  How do I know that you are a real person and not some kind of proxy user?  (Yep, I clicked on your profile)

• User profile image
    Ian2

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    qvp said:
    *snip*

Shortened link leads to:  http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/06/woot-ap/

For future reference, you can preview is.gd links by appending a - to the end of the URL, or by enabling automatic previews TinyURL has a similar feature, and Bit.ly has a preview plugin that will give the full address for any of the major shortening services on mouseover.

Useful tip, thanks

• User profile image
    qvp

Ian2 said:
    qvp said:
    *snip*

Not if I got it from a tweet in the first place.  Apologies if you have a dislike of shortcut URLs, I understand where you are coming from

Incidentally what does your profile shortcut stand for?  How do I know that you are a real person and not some kind of proxy user?  (Yep, I clicked on your profile)

@CannotResolveSymbol: Thanks for the tip, i never knew about the previewing of shortened URLs.

@Ian2: Sadly it doesn't stand for anything but my given name, Qvp... pronounced like the name Kip. I believe my parents where high when they gave the spelling for it, although they deny it. Once I reached 18 I legally changed it, but thats a story for another time. Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.