31 posts

How I downloaded and installed FxCop.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lolli

There should be a badge for installing FxCop

• User profile image
    cbae

@lolli: You mean an "achievement", right?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

@lolli: If you use Visual studio Premium and Ultimate editions, it is pre-installed and called code analysis (aforementioned), so naturally they want to make it hard to install for any other version

• User profile image
    Stuttgard

FxCop Installation Instructions
    1. Download the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 version 7.1.
    2. Run %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\FXCop\FxCopSetup.exe to install FxCop.

After following step 1, the fxcop folder was nowhere in sight in the %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\FXCop\

This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

• User profile image
    Jimmy_Bosse

I just installed the 7.1 SDK selected all options, just to be safe, and the FXCop installer wasn't even installed! Hopefully I can extract it from the MSI.

• User profile image
    Korayem

Seriously, an EPIC FAIL to say the least.

I am sharing this file on my dropbox for any one else who badly need it and hates installing a complete SDK to get it Smiley

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/329351/FxCopSetup%20v10.exe

If you have any concerns, tweet me @korayem

• User profile image
    Finster​Dexter

Since it's been 2 years, and there's no hope in Microsoft actually addressing this clusterf**k, here is a more permanent mediafire link to the exe.

H/T to Korayem, but mediafire should be a little more reliable than an unknown dropbox account that could go away at any time.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tza2nhf6rf1r6h8

• User profile image
    vesuvius

, FinsterDexter wrote

Since it's been 2 years, and there's no hope in Microsoft actually addressing this clusterf**k, here is a more permanent mediafire link to the exe.

H/T to Korayem, but mediafire should be a little more reliable than an unknown dropbox account that could go away at any time.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tza2nhf6rf1r6h8

FXCop is now called code Analysis

Buy premium or ultimate versions of Visual Studio. If you read this link it contains the text

Code Analysis can be found in the Premium and Ultimate editions of Visual Studio 2010.

• User profile image
    blowdart

, FinsterDexter wrote

Umm how? You still can't tell if it's legitimate without some work, and of course the mediafire TOS prohibits this anyway. Also, like dropbox, the MediaFire TOS says they can delete at any time.

• User profile image
    jokob

I only created this login to say thank you! I missed the most obvious step "search for the installation file in program files" to continue...

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Maybe someone should put in on a blog, so this thread does not pop up everytime someone tries to install Fx Cop

• User profile image
    gokulanv

Thanks for the post. I tried installing the SDK but was giving some error about C++ Compiler installation. Some of the tools where installed during the setup. Thank god i found this post and located the FxCop exe

• User profile image
    Blue Ink

, Maddus Mattus wrote

Maybe someone should put in on a blog, so this thread does not pop up everytime someone tries to install Fx Cop

Yes, a blog post would be brilliant.

Wouldn't take too long to write: all it actually needs is a link to the FxCop installer Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.