Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

Kinect costs $149

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

...just like retailers have been claiming and the press has been speculating it would. So all that coy 'we haven't announced a price yet!' stuff served.. what purpose, exactly?

What with most of the games being lame (and $50 a pop) I think I'll pass on this breathtaking bit of innovation for now.

At least the bundle is decently priced - if you don't have a 360 yet - at $299. 

• User profile image
    ZippyV

For 300 $ you get an XBox with only 4 GB of memory and Kinect.

Fail.

• User profile image
    Ian2

Lets hope that translates to GBP 99.00.

Very happy with the pricing if its as good as the hype!

Maybe they will do a bundle in the UK for 199GBP?

• User profile image
    contextfree`

"So all that coy 'we haven't announced a price yet!' stuff served.. what purpose, exactly?"

I'm guessing there were people trying to find a way to cut manufacturing costs/convince retail to lower margins/convince Ballmer to let them eat more losses/whatever to bring the price down up until the last minute. They knew it would probably be $150, but they didn't want to say so until they knew for sure.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Ian2 said:

It's way to expensive for it to become popular.

• User profile image
    Dovella

ZippyV said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

It's way to expensive for it to become popular.

The price is not an obstacle if the product works fine.

Kinect work fine?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Dovella said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

The price is not an obstacle if the product works fine.

Kinect work fine?

Hard to judge if you can't buy. Smiley

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

Ian2 said:

OK pricing is £129.99 or with an Xbox 360 4GB £249.99.  But at least it comes with a game, well the least interesting game announced IMO.

• User profile image
    Dovella

daSmirnov said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

OK pricing is £129.99 or with an Xbox 360 4GB £249.99.  But at least it comes with a game, well the least interesting game announced IMO.

Microsoft change Kinect in  i-Kinect and resolved

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Would someone please remind me how this is different to EyeToy?

(Or indeed the software that came with a Logictech Webcam bought way back when...)

• User profile image
    Minh

GoddersUK said:

(Or indeed the software that came with a Logictech Webcam bought way back when...)

It sees in 3D... IE It sees you in a much more accurate model

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

GoddersUK said:

EyeToy is just an off-the-shelf webcam.  Kinect doesn't use any visible light for motion sensing, the technology couldn't be more different.  I can see that to a casual observer, they look similar because you're jumping around in front of what looks to be a camera, but it's not.  EyeToy has no idea what its looking at, it just sees pixels moving around in some region of the view.  This is tracking joints on your body like Hollywood motion capture stuff.

$150 for an in-home motion capture studio, without stupid latex body suits is a pretty good deal.

• User profile image
    Bass

I don't that that is a bad deal if it works as advertised.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

CreamFilling512 said:
    GoddersUK said:
    *snip*

EyeToy is just an off-the-shelf webcam.  Kinect doesn't use any visible light for motion sensing, the technology couldn't be more different.  I can see that to a casual observer, they look similar because you're jumping around in front of what looks to be a camera, but it's not.  EyeToy has no idea what its looking at, it just sees pixels moving around in some region of the view.  This is tracking joints on your body like Hollywood motion capture stuff.

$150 for an in-home motion capture studio, without stupid latex body suits is a pretty good deal.

Definitely more than eye toy or even the original Xbox 360 "vision" camera. I don't know all the details, but I think there are at least two cameras in there, plus motors of some sort (sorry, I really don't have any inside info) so it should go far beyond what is possible with a regular camera based system. Compared to the Wii, it is also completely different as it is tracking *you*, not the controller. Considering what a controller or a camera or similar devices cost I think the price is reasonable. Of course, I'm still trying to justify a completely new Xbox 360 (the new shiny black quiet model) when the one I have is working 100% at the moment ... not quite there yet, but I'm sure I'll figure out a good rationalization.

• User profile image
    jamie

Duncanma said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Definitely more than eye toy or even the original Xbox 360 "vision" camera. I don't know all the details, but I think there are at least two cameras in there, plus motors of some sort (sorry, I really don't have any inside info) so it should go far beyond what is possible with a regular camera based system. Compared to the Wii, it is also completely different as it is tracking *you*, not the controller. Considering what a controller or a camera or similar devices cost I think the price is reasonable. Of course, I'm still trying to justify a completely new Xbox 360 (the new shiny black quiet model) when the one I have is working 100% at the moment ... not quite there yet, but I'm sure I'll figure out a good rationalization.

i like the name...  dont have an xbox tho

• User profile image
    Bas

Duncanma said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

The thing is, I actually think the price is pretty reasonable for a 3D motion tracking camera, because that's still kind of amazing futuristic technology, and the fact that you can get that for less than $200 is amazing.

As a peripheral for video games, though? Insanely expensive. I can't even justify getting the $300 bundle when my current 360 breaks down because that version doesn't have a hard drive. So if I want Kinect and a 360 with a hard drive, I'm going to have to spend, what, €450? And that's without any games. If I want at least one Kinect game, I'm out over $500. What crazy marketing research did they do to consider that a good deal?

• User profile image
    Ian2

daSmirnov said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

I can live with that, happy if it does what it says on the box.

Just wondering how it wil cope with selecting an item on the screen by pointing (The Wii controller is quite useful for this - I am thinking that I might want to select 'Media Centre' Items at some stage in the future?)

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.