ryanb said:
BitFlipper said:
*snip*

"I wasn't thinking about tablets that are as "lightweight" as the iPad, I was thinking about tablets that can already run Win7 as is. This is a way to make it more attractive for consumers by providing some of the simplicity of what people like about the iPad."

That may be the catch though.  The users who want the simplified interface tend to want the 'lightweight" hardware and feature set of the iPad.  The users who want the 'heavyweight' hardware capable of running the full OS don't have a lot of use to sometimes switch down to a simplified UI.  The biggest problem is in companies trying to find a single solution for these very different market segments.

The more consistency between the APIs of these different devices the better.  If the UIs can be made to swap out, so much the better I guess, but I don't see many people doing it in the real world.

True, but I think there are a lot of consumers that are somewhat computer savvy that would still like the simplified UI, while still having the ability to switch to a more traditional OS.

For argument sake, let's call the UI framework I'm talking about "Windows Tablet 7", or WT7. Then what you can buy is a tablet that runs "Windows 7 + WT7". On the other hand, there could be more light-weight tablets that contain the minimum software to run the framework, and in that case it is simply called "WT7", with no way to switch out of it.