Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft: "Be What's Next"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://gizmodo.com/5593894/microsoft-latest-tagline-be-whats-next

Microsoft's new slogan seems to be "Be What's Next". Does anyone have any idea what it is intended to mean? Is it meant to be something that the imaginative are supposed to fill-in with whatever they consider to be positive or does it have an actual predefined meaning?

• User profile image
    Ian2

I think its OK, slogans seem to be a necessity today and 'Where do you want to go?" is getting a bit tired.

Trends are moving so quickly nowadays, the slogan is just reflecting this. 

(So nobody actually thinks that if you 'go with MS then you'll be OK for whatever the next big thing is', but our sub-concious is not quite so clever.)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ian2 said:

I think its OK, slogans seem to be a necessity today and 'Where do you want to go?" is getting a bit tired.

(So nobody actually thinks that if you 'go with MS then you'll be OK for whatever the next big thing is', but our sub-concious is not quite so clever.)

Microsoft stopped using "Where do you want to go today?" around 2000, for the past 5 years or so it's been "Your potential, our passion" everywhere and "People_Ready" for their business software.

Companies don't need slogans though, Apple doesn't have one, I think that's saying something.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Microsoft stopped using "Where do you want to go today?" around 2000, for the past 5 years or so it's been "Your potential, our passion" everywhere and "People_Ready" for their business software.

Companies don't need slogans though, Apple doesn't have one, I think that's saying something.

Think Different?

Okay, they don't really say it so much anymore. But...I'd argue that most of Jobs' advertising one liners do the effect of a slogan. "World's most advanced operating system" "Most brilliant piece of engineering" ... they give the effect that Apple is leagues ahead of everyone else.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

MasterPie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Think Different?

Okay, they don't really say it so much anymore. But...I'd argue that most of Jobs' advertising one liners do the effect of a slogan. "World's most advanced operating system" "Most brilliant piece of engineering" ... they give the effect that Apple is leagues ahead of everyone else.

Those two slogans do not make sense without criteria by which they can be independently verified. They make Apple's marketing department seem ignorant to me.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Shining Arcanine said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

Those two slogans do not make sense without criteria by which they can be independently verified. They make Apple's marketing department seem ignorant to me.

Well, they're a marketing department, so 'independently verified' doesn't really come into it.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Shining Arcanine said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

"Those two slogans do not make sense without criteria by which they can be independently verified"

Well...duh. Tongue Out

They still work well (for Apple).

• User profile image
    cheong

I think I'll interpret it this way - "Follow Microsoft if you want to engage in the next wave of technologies".

In marketing slogans,  the word "be" usually means "become engaged in" instead of "become part of" or such thing.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ian2

Ian2 said:

I just like to make myself laugh - its a bad trait.

• User profile image
    exoteric

W3bbo said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Need is a thankful concept.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.