Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Monitor Calibration?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Back when I used to use Windows, I would regularly calibrate my monitors so that they would display accurate colors. Since switching to Linux earlier this year, my desktop and laptop monitors have been uncalibrated because of my ignorance of how to do monitor calibration on Linux.

I took some time this past weekend to figure it out and now my monitors are calibrated again. It is literally a night and day difference and I was so happy with the result that I decided to calibrate the LCD TV in my family's living room too. Now all of the LCD screens in the house are calibrated and I am very happy with the results.

Anyway, that lead me to the question: Does anyone else here calibrate their monitors or am I the only one?

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

What a way to start a thread! I've calibrated my computer monitor, but not my television. When you say calibrate your monitor are you just talking about setting the appropriate brightness and contrast for a particular gamma?

Either way, most applications that can display an image often don't know how to handle the assigned profiles for your equipment.

-Josh

• User profile image
    ManipUni

So what you're saying is that Linux cannot handle hardware is straight forward and monitors yet, and in order to make it work up to a basic standard you need to manual configure the monitor? That's a fairly bad assessment of Linux if I've ever heard one!

• User profile image
    spivonious

I don't do a full colorimeter calbration, but yeah I use test patterns and such to get the brightness, contrast, and gamma correct on my monitors and TVs.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

I find I need radically different settings for day and night-time viewing, room gets insanely bright during the daytime. So don't do any calibration.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

The only calibration I've done is to remove the broken color profile that pees all over the picture preview app in Vista.

• User profile image
    kettch

CreamFilling512 said:

I find I need radically different settings for day and night-time viewing, room gets insanely bright during the daytime. So don't do any calibration.

There's some fancy schmancy calibration sensors that can be turned around and put in a little stand. They then become ambient light sensors and can adjust the profile according to the amount, and temperature of the light. Hopefully at some point monitors will come with light sensors.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.