Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Preview the New Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Just posted this on the homepage here:

Check out this preview of an all new Channel 9. We're looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. If you are interested in how it was built and the decisions we made about the architecture, check out this video with Charles and Sampy.

Thank you all for your amazing support of Channel 9 and we look forward to seeing what you think of this major release of Channel 9.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say about it. We did setup the connect site so that we can have some voting on suggestions, etc.

-Jeff

• User profile image
    rhm

Silverlight detection code doesn't work in FF3.5.11 on Mac OS X - says it needs installing but it's installed and playing videos on the existing Ch9 site (albeit taking ages to start up).

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

For "classic account" users, sign-in is here:  http://preview.channel9.msdn.com/SignIn

(The "Classic Account users sign in here" link on the LiveID sign in page leads to the current site, not the new one)

BTW, the day you switch to Live ID-only for sign-in will be the day I stop visiting.  Live ID (and switching between IDs) isn't worth it.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

The bug where the Silverlight player doesn't position its toolbar correctly when IE8 is at a zoom level <> 100% is back. This seems to happen every time you guys do some kind of update :/

I filed it on the Connect site.

Other than that it looks great so far, though I'm not sure how fond I am of the cyan alternating row background in the forums.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

rhm said:

Silverlight detection code doesn't work in FF3.5.11 on Mac OS X - says it needs installing but it's installed and playing videos on the existing Ch9 site (albeit taking ages to start up).

We changed Silverlight versions though, current site uses Silverlight 3, new site uses Silverlight 4 (to allow the 'pinning' feature)

• User profile image
    jamie

Duncanma said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

We changed Silverlight versions though, current site uses Silverlight 3, new site uses Silverlight 4 (to allow the 'pinning' feature)

"classic log in" doesnt seem to work?  - it just takes me to the non-preview site.. (this one)

new site looks interesting... think... Newfoundland - light blues and teals....  +win95 desktop...

totally diferent tho - from our old retro style - reds and oranges....

change is good

Smiley

* didnt use the new logo?

ps - im 46 today!

• User profile image
    Clint

jamie said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

"classic log in" doesnt seem to work?  - it just takes me to the non-preview site.. (this one)

new site looks interesting... think... Newfoundland - light blues and teals....  +win95 desktop...

change is good

Smiley

ps - im 46 today!

I use it in the Coding4Fun logo Smiley

• User profile image
    Clint

DCMonkey said:

The bug where the Silverlight player doesn't position its toolbar correctly when IE8 is at a zoom level <> 100% is back. This seems to happen every time you guys do some kind of update :/

I filed it on the Connect site.

Other than that it looks great so far, though I'm not sure how fond I am of the cyan alternating row background in the forums.

do you zoom in/out constantly?  In my experience, I tend to only do that on accident.

• User profile image
    Charles

jamie said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

change is good

Smiley

ps - im 46 today!

Happy Birthday, Jamie!!! Smiley

C

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

change is good

Smiley

ps - im 46 today!

Happy Birthday!

• User profile image
    jamie

Charles said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Happy Birthday, Jamie!!! Smiley

C

thanks guys ... i was 39 when i joined this site Smiley

edit:  time flys when youre having fun

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Party Pooper here, but, I don't like the new Home Page.  The home page lacks information about the video. I wouldn't know what to read unless I click Browse and read the more detailed page.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

magicalclick said:

Party Pooper here, but, I don't like the new Home Page.  The home page lacks information about the video. I wouldn't know what to read unless I click Browse and read the more detailed page.

I agree, it needs more info about the videos, even if only in a mouse-over popup or something.

And I hope the preview is not indicative of the speed of the real thing, because it's rather slow.

• User profile image
    jamie

Sven Groot said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*

I agree, it needs more info about the videos, even if only in a mouse-over popup or something.

And I hope the preview is not indicative of the speed of the real thing, because it's rather slow.

..round of applause for being so cordial (9'ers)

normally i think it sounds like this:

*** put it f*n back - what are you doing..." etc

maybe it just hasnt sunken in yet  Smiley

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Clint said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

do you zoom in/out constantly?  In my experience, I tend to only do that on accident.

At home I normally run IE8 at 150% because I sit (recline) too far away from the screen and I'm getting old.

• User profile image
    Bas

magicalclick said:

The lack of information about the featured video is a definite downside. I'm just watching faces scroll by, with no idea what to click. It also switches too quickly for my liking. Also the forum posting process needs to be streamlined to the core. Button placement, what happens after you click submit, everything. If any errors are going to get annoying really quick, it'll be the ones in the forums.

I'm a fan of pretty much everything else.

• User profile image
    Stebet

Must say it looks great. Takes some getting used to but I think it'll turn out quite nice.

However, no SmoothStreaming?! Why not?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

jamie said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

change is good

Smiley

ps - im 46 today!

classic login works, but we can't change the sidebar of the Live ID login screen without changing it for this site as well, so the link is to here. If you go to http://preview.channel9.msdn.com/signin that will work.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.