Coffeehouse Thread

50 posts

internet cost / speed. Post yours.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

im currently on a 25 meg plan

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

they call it "extreme plus"  but i just saw they have an Ultimate one... hmmm ...   Wink

this costs 69.99 (25mgbt) in canada - the 50 meg one ( hmmmm) costs $99

what do you pay / get?

edit:  hmmmm

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I'm on a 3 Mbps connection (AT&T Southeast DSL) at something like $38/month.

Not the best deal ever, but their only competition around here is Comcast...  and I don't want to have anything to do with them.

[edit] In TN, USA here.

• User profile image
    jamie

CannotResolveSymbol said:

I'm on a 3 Mbps connection (AT&T Southeast DSL) at something like $38/month.

Not the best deal ever, but their only competition around here is Comcast...  and I don't want to have anything to do with them.

[edit] In TN, USA here.

so... your in the states then?   (post country pls)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Japan: 160 Mbps for ~¥5500 per month.

It's not really cheap, but it is blindingly fast. The alternative would be VDSL from NTT (what I have now is cable) which would be a bit cheaper but they only go up to 100Mbps. Or ADSL which would be a lot cheaper but also slower. Smiley

• User profile image
    cheong

It's HKD$109 for 100Mbps or HKD$199 for 1000Mbps here in Hong Kong.

I'm using 100Mbps plan, because most of my friends aren't using 1000 Mbps plans anyway. Futhermore, all network hubs and boardband router in my home is still 10/100 only. Replacing them and those Cat5 cables would cost me a lot.

Probably will have better plan when more people are using it.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    kettch

2Mbps down and 768Kbps up. It's a Clearwire connection, and it's the only service I can get. It's $50 per month. I'm currently working on getting a 10/4Mbps line of sight connection for $80.

EDIT: Crying

• User profile image
    jamie

cheong said:

It's HKD$109 for 100Mbps or HKD$199 for 1000Mbps here in Hong Kong.

I'm using 100Mbps plan, because most of my friends aren't using 1000 Mbps plans anyway. Futhermore, all network hubs and boardband router in my home is still 10/100 only. Replacing them and those Cat5 cables would cost me a lot.

Probably will have better plan when more people are using it.

*wow*

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Last year, when I was in uni halls, we were connected to the main university connection which meant we got insane speeds.

This year I've been paying £7.50/month for 8mb/s from O2  (https://www.o2broadband.o2.co.uk/broadBandOverview.do) (on top of my BT line rental at ~£12/month). That's an unlimited usage  connection (well it has a fair use policy, but we're fairly heavy users and we didn't run foul of it...)

Currently I'm back with my parents for the summer. I have no idea what they're paying, but this is what they get (their ISP is PlusNet - http://www.plus.net/)

Generic Forum Image

EDIT: I just ran one on the uni system:

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Here, in my student hovel, the 10mbps Virgin cable connection is paid as part of my rent, but it's about £20 a month or so.

During holidays it's great, I can saturate the line and download things super-fast. But during term-time it becomes gridlocked because it's DOCSIS and everyone is running torrents or iPlayer.

At home it's DSL from ADSL24. For the past few weeks we got 1.6 to 2.5mbps, but we discovered it was actually our fault: the modem is connected to a dodgy extension line that runs a good 15m from the master box. When I plug the modem directly into the master box I got about 5.8mbps. The equipment in my area limits it to 8mbps, but I'm happy with anything above 2mbps. We pay £19.20 for it. There is a 30GB/month usage limit for 'peak time', but after midnight and weekends it's unmetered.

Finally, in my datacentre I have 100mbps uplink, but anything above 40mbps yields differing speed-test results: it's been reported by SpeedTest.net as being anything from 60mbps to 88mbps.

We're due for gigabit uplink and IPv6 in the coming months, but my connectivity provider has been saying this for years now.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Comcast here in Pennsylvania.

$42.95/month for 15down/3up, although I usually get closer to 21 down/4 up.

edit: I should clarify that if I didn't also get TV from Comcast, it would be closer to $60/month. I'm genuinely surprised at the low prices/high speeds posted from Europe and Asia. It makes me wonder why we're not offered faster speeds.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

20 € /month for ADSL2 with 12 Mb download and 1 Mb upload, no datalimit but Fair Use Policy. Sadly, I'm too far away to get ADSL2.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    rhm

I wonder if mine is the worst value for money out there Smiley

UK £22/month for ADSL, not sure what speed it's sold as  but it works out at about 11Mbps

The reason I stick with it (Be Unlimited is the ISP) is that they have no fair use policy, no limits on what you can use the line for and no contract period (they lend out the modems which not only means they don't have to tie you into a contract, but it also means they'll replace faulty modems and they take it back when you cancel, meaning less waste).

• User profile image
    blowdart

Generic Forum Image

Not sure how much this is, it's bundled with my TV. No choice with Comcast - that's what the apartments are wired for.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

We get about 1.3Mb (on a laughingly titled "Up to 8Mb ADSL" deal) through Virgin Media -- I can't remember what the monthly cost is, but it includes phone as well.

We're not that far from civilisation, but we don't get G3 coverage either ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart said:

Generic Forum Image

Not sure how much this is, it's bundled with my TV. No choice with Comcast - that's what the apartments are wired for.

What speeds do you get on campus?

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

What speeds do you get on campus?

I'm not on campus.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

spivonious said:

Comcast here in Pennsylvania.

$42.95/month for 15down/3up, although I usually get closer to 21 down/4 up.

edit: I should clarify that if I didn't also get TV from Comcast, it would be closer to $60/month. I'm genuinely surprised at the low prices/high speeds posted from Europe and Asia. It makes me wonder why we're not offered faster speeds.

In the US the physical network provider also provides the DSL/ADSL service right? And you normally only have one such provider? Allowing them to screw you over with no repercussions. In Europe (or the UK at least) the regulators force the large infrastructure companies to allow competitors to provide services over their lines. (ie. in the UK BT, which has an effective monopoly on the telephone network, is forced to allow competitors to use it's lines, exchanges etc. Sadly it doesn't apply to all providers so Virgin Media - BT's only competition in terms of infrastructure provider, isn't forced to allow competitors to use their networks. Also unlike BT they don't have an obligation to provide universal service, so they only connect the profitable areas).

• User profile image
    spivonious

GoddersUK said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

In the US the physical network provider also provides the DSL/ADSL service right? And you normally only have one such provider? Allowing them to screw you over with no repercussions. In Europe (or the UK at least) the regulators force the large infrastructure companies to allow competitors to provide services over their lines. (ie. in the UK BT, which has an effective monopoly on the telephone network, is forced to allow competitors to use it's lines, exchanges etc. Sadly it doesn't apply to all providers so Virgin Media - BT's only competition in terms of infrastructure provider, isn't forced to allow competitors to use their networks. Also unlike BT they don't have an obligation to provide universal service, so they only connect the profitable areas).

Yes that is true. Comcast owns the cable lines in the area, so that's our only cable modem choice. Verizon owns the phone lines, so that's our only DSL choice. There's nothing preventing another cable company from coming into the area, but the cost of running new lines everywhere would be tremendous.

Comcast is $60 (without TV) for 15Mbps, Verizon is $40 for 5Mbps DSL with a one year contract.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.