Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

VS 2010 SP1 availability?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • vesuvius

I have been experiencing a lot of crashes lately, sometimes I am not even keying in anything into my machine and the thing blows up. I have installed some of the "fixes" that have worked, but XAML and VS just don't seem able to get on. I also get out of virtual memory on 32 bit XP (work machine) and the out of memory exceptions daily,  and I am not alone as it has become a daily jibe with my development team.

Any chance of a service pack?

edit: oh, and I am sending feedback via telemetry

• zian

I'm so glad that I'm not alone...for me, VS 2010 crashes almost every other time I press F5. And I'm just dealing with WinForms & a simple WPF project.

Edit: Yes, if I recall correctly, the problem was AnkhSVN.

• mawcc

zian said:

I'm so glad that I'm not alone...for me, VS 2010 crashes almost every other time I press F5. And I'm just dealing with WinForms & a simple WPF project.

I had the same problem. Are you using AnkhSVN? If so, please update to the latest version and you will no longer have crashes during build.

Otherwise, VS2010 is very stable for me.

• figuerres

zian said:

wow for me VS2010 has been really stable.

now the free version of install Shield - that will make VS 2010 crash left and right if i even open a  class file.

I wonder if you have any addons installed like that ?

I have used VS 2010 on 4 different pc's one with xp and 3 with windows 7

the only bad stuff is that install addon.

• fabian

figuerres said:
    zian said:
    *snip*

wow for me VS2010 has been really stable.

now the free version of install Shield - that will make VS 2010 crash left and right if i even open a  class file.

I wonder if you have any addons installed like that ?

I have used VS 2010 on 4 different pc's one with xp and 3 with windows 7

the only bad stuff is that install addon.

vs 2010 is very stable for me aswell ... i wonder if running a 10 years old OS could be the root cause.

• vesuvius

fabian said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

vs 2010 is very stable for me aswell ... i wonder if running a 10 years old OS could be the root cause.

I have not had any issues with it on Windows 7 64 bit at home, but I hardly code for 12 hours at a time there for the moment. I am using TFS with the only addon being the power tools and resharper; now you mention it, it may well be causing the problem, so I will remove it for a week and see how I go.

• figuerres

vesuvius said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

I have not had any issues with it on Windows 7 64 bit at home, but I hardly code for 12 hours at a time there for the moment. I am using TFS with the only addon being the power tools and resharper; now you mention it, it may well be causing the problem, so I will remove it for a week and see how I go.

I had a coworker load what i think was re-sharper and he unloaded it as he said it made the code edit window very slow.

he is a fast typer of code.

• vesuvius

figuerres said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I had a coworker load what i think was re-sharper and he unloaded it as he said it made the code edit window very slow.

he is a fast typer of code.

It is very much a benifits against hinderance thing. If you are going to install something that inspects all you code, all the time, then you are going to take a performance hit, but the benefits for me, far outweigh a slightly sluggish UI. If you have issues with resharper, then you can turn code inspection off, and run it once a week.

I know one of my devs does not use resharper and even he is experiencing crashes on XP. Unfortunately the place I work for has a policy of wiping windows 7 off, and replacing it with XP, that is their policy Sad

• contextfree

Had my first crash last week - wonder if it was related to the (otherwise very nice) Productivity Power Tools I just installed. Other than that, I've been running it daily since the RC with no issues.

• figuerres

vesuvius said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

It is very much a benifits against hinderance thing. If you are going to install something that inspects all you code, all the time, then you are going to take a performance hit, but the benefits for me, far outweigh a slightly sluggish UI. If you have issues with resharper, then you can turn code inspection off, and run it once a week.

I know one of my devs does not use resharper and even he is experiencing crashes on XP. Unfortunately the place I work for has a policy of wiping windows 7 off, and replacing it with XP, that is their policy Sad

well as for the xp thing i would ask them to let a few machines run 7 and see how it goes.

i would point out that xp is very much an "End of life" OS and that 7 has the xp-mode VPC option for old apps.

note that in the first release the vpc / xp-mode had a hardware requirement that was later removed.

the cpu support for virtualization - ms required that then heard that way to many folks could not use xp-mode and they updated the software to not make the cpu support a requirement.

in my exp 7 does not crash the way xp can....

• scottgu

We haven't seen broad reports of crashes with VS 2010 (in fact our data shows that fewer crashes are occuring with it compared with previous releases).  Many crashes we have followed-up on have been related to plugins.  If you enconter crashes please make sure you make sure all your plugins are up to date to see if that helps.

If you still have crashes, please send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) and we'd be happy to have someone followup and investigate your issue.

Thanks,

Scott

• Ian2

I have been experiencing some crashes with VS210.  I'm sorry to say that the add-ins that I have installed are so well integrated into the UI that I'm not quite sure what is add-in and what is VS! 

Is it simply a case of checking Tools->Add-In Manager & Tools->Extension Mamager?  (I am assuming that Tools->External Tools cannot uimpact negatively on VS?)

Is there an easy way to purge everything back to a vanilla state in VS2010?

• vesuvius

scottgu said:

We haven't seen broad reports of crashes with VS 2010 (in fact our data shows that fewer crashes are occuring with it compared with previous releases).  Many crashes we have followed-up on have been related to plugins.  If you enconter crashes please make sure you make sure all your plugins are up to date to see if that helps.

If you still have crashes, please send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) and we'd be happy to have someone followup and investigate your issue.

Thanks,

Scott

I will certainly do as you have suggested Scott.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to respond. This is very much appreciated.

• davewill

Ian2 said:

I have been experiencing some crashes with VS210.  I'm sorry to say that the add-ins that I have installed are so well integrated into the UI that I'm not quite sure what is add-in and what is VS! 

Is it simply a case of checking Tools->Add-In Manager & Tools->Extension Mamager?  (I am assuming that Tools->External Tools cannot uimpact negatively on VS?)

What would be even better is a switch to load VS without any add-ons.  This way you could troubleshoot without a lot of unconfig/reconfig.

• PerfectPhase

Ian2 said:

try: devenv.exe /ResetSettings

I get quite a few crashes at startup, VS will crash when opened a couple of times then work fine for a while, then start crashing again when opened, rinse and repeat.

• felix9

I've got no stability issues either but really hope SP1 can bring back interlisense for C++/CLI projects, nobody promised this though, but still, one can hope

• Zeus

VS is solid as a rock for me, although I have not installed ANY addons or extensions the the main program. Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but are you generally using a lot of addons for your VS installs?

• Mr Crash

honestly i liked the old vs2008 better, vs2010 is slow, and my conclusion is: wpf should not be used if you want performance

in vs2010, loading a small project (slightly modified win32 standard template takes a few seconds) in vs2008 it was much faster.

switching to wpf was a big bad move, i would say: switch back for gods sake!

so yes a service pack that would improve performance would be great

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.