Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

VS 2010 SP1 availability?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Mr Crash said:

honestly i liked the old vs2008 better, vs2010 is slow, and my conclusion is: wpf should not be used if you want performance

in vs2010, loading a small project (slightly modified win32 standard template takes a few seconds) in vs2008 it was much faster.

switching to wpf was a big bad move, i would say: switch back for gods sake!

so yes a service pack that would improve performance would be great

Do you have any additional headers etc in the Dev11 project? When you say slower, does it takes longer to see the project loaded, or it takes time to see the UI itself?

• User profile image
    androidi

Ion Todirel said:
    Mr Crash said:
    *snip*

Do you have any additional headers etc in the Dev11 project? When you say slower, does it takes longer to see the project loaded, or it takes time to see the UI itself?

All it takes is for the startup to be several times longer to get perception of overall "slowness". Of course if the app has always taken forever to start since the first version you used, then it's "okay" as long as it has some advantages over competition. I recall seeing some study recently of this wish I had the link now.

In the case of vs2010, it's not just slower startup though. There's places where it's faster than 2008 but that really doesn't matter when there's many things contributing to the "overall slowness perception". For instance, if Google added some javascript and other gimmicks that cause it to open slowly every time, would I go back to old google if someone offered it? Yes. Infact I disabled all javascript from google.com to make it like it was before the moronic fade-in menu gimmicks that give the slowness perception even when technically it's not slow. The cost of course for this move is that many sites load javascript from google and so I encounter increasing amount of sites that break because any JS from google.com is in the IE zone that doesn't allow execution. As for what's up with VS. I'm using 2008 mainly until 2010 loses the slowness. I estimate it takes a hardware upgrade to get there though. (while 2008 will be even faster, it was already fast enough that it would be hard to notice the gain so perceptually 2008 will stay as fast as before while 2010 will gain speed)

Summary: I think 2010 is slower enough compared to 2008 that people will now be looking more closely at whether they really need it. I usually use the latest and greatest but for doing something really quick (like writing a script in c#/VS) I just need the editor that loads up fastest and has IntelliSense and other that type of features. In theory SuperFetch should help here but in practise in Windows 7 it doesn't do enough to bring that 5-15 second cold start for 2010 to more reasonable <2 sec that it's with 2008. (This is all without any 3rd party extensions stuff installed that I hear slow down VS startup a lot)

• User profile image
    Mr Crash

Ion Todirel said:
    Mr Crash said:
    *snip*

> Do you have any additional headers etc in the Dev11 project?

If i understand you correctly then, no.

> does it takes longer to see the project loaded, or it takes time to see the UI itself?
    Both.
    When the ui finally come up you can see a "Preparing solution" loading dialog and one time i actually saw a balloon tip popup that said something about if vs 2010 is slow click here/report it to microsoft.

(Even the compilation takes longer (compared to vs2008) but that's another issue)

Seems like with wpf the cpu does more work then with win32.

Overall vs2010 is a step back when it comes to performance, there are some good things about it like the c++0x features (although i use gcc since it supports more c++0x features).

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Ion Todirel said:
    Mr Crash said:
    *snip*

I have now narrowed it down to this bug on connect. This happened 4 times yesterday in succession - lock screen = crash.

No other deveopers in my team have experienced the same issue, so this cannot be reproduced easily. Resharper have also released a crashing patch this I have just installed, so we will see how things pan out.

• User profile image
    PeterF

vesuvius said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

I have now narrowed it down to this bug on connect. This happened 4 times yesterday in succession - lock screen = crash.

No other deveopers in my team have experienced the same issue, so this cannot be reproduced easily. Resharper have also released a crashing patch this I have just installed, so we will see how things pan out.

Don't underestimate the influence of display drivers on aplication stability. Try to obtain the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturers website. Certain outdated embedded video card drivers from Intel have been notorious for causing application crashes.

Regards,

Peter

• User profile image
    felix9

PeterF said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Don't underestimate the influence of display drivers on aplication stability. Try to obtain the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturers website. Certain outdated embedded video card drivers from Intel have been notorious for causing application crashes.

Regards,

Peter

YES, my Intel display driver ruined the VS2010 or general WPF apps' rendering, now I have to use software rendering only mode, then problems all disappeared....

• User profile image
    Eagle Software

felix9 said:
    PeterF said:
    *snip*

YES, my Intel display driver ruined the VS2010 or general WPF apps' rendering, now I have to use software rendering only mode, then problems all disappeared....

My VS2010 Professional crashes everytime I close the web project, but does not crash if I close small projects.

My web project is 55.4MB, 2,801 Files and 70 Folders. This project has a small silverlight project attaches to it.

My Machine Info:
    RAM: 4.00 GB
    Processor: Intel Xeon

I don't have any add on, except the silverlight tools to do silverlight. I also have VS 2008 in the same box.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

My problems with the HTML editor while I'm working on ASP.NET MVC 2:

- Selections can sometimes not be drag and dropped,

- Editor doesn't respond anymore to a keypress (after debugging),

- Tabs are inserted in bumblebees when I switch to another line <%: [tab] Html.Conte... becomes <%: [tab][tab] Html.Conte...

- Exception while editing css file, the error dialog tries to blame it on extensions but I can continue working without restart,

- Daily crashes, no extensions/addins installed.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Any update on this? My department is interested in upgrading from 2008, but tend to stick to the old "wait for the service pack" adage.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.