Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

[Linux] Kernel 2.6.35 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

Yes I know... some people get upset when I post these Linux kernel release posts, but I know here's lots of tech savvy users who are interested in operating systems, so hopefully these posts doesn't cause too much problems.

LKML: Linus Torvalds - Linux 2.6.35

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.35 (Part 1) - Graphics

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.35 (Part 2) - File systems and storage

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.35 (Part 3) - Network support

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.35 (Part 4) - Architecture and infrastructure

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.35 (Part 5) - Drivers

Kernelnewbies: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_35

• User profile image
    Bass

How dare you inform me of a new kernel release!! I am very angry! Mad

Cool stuff. I'm suprised it got released this early. And happy that ATI cards got some love. Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

What's the Linux flavor du jour? What client Linux variant is most popular? I'm way out of the loop here.

C

• User profile image
    Bass

Charles said:

What's the Linux flavor du jour? What client Linux variant is most popular? I'm way out of the loop here.

C

Here are some I've used lately:

• User profile image
    staceyw

cool.  What is linux?  Wink

• User profile image
    Erisan

What do you think about Linus's announcements? I like the way he wrote about development process of each kernel version. He has pretty good sense of humor so the announcements has sometimes pretty funny stuff too.

The next two weeks will be interesting since the merge window is open. I recommend to read LKML unless you don't do so already...

I think that along with Fedora, MeeGo is one of the most interesting distribution at the moment and worth to follow.

• User profile image
    Bass

Erisan said:

What do you think about Linus's announcements? I like the way he wrote about development process of each kernel version. He has pretty good sense of humor so the announcements has sometimes pretty funny stuff too.

The next two weeks will be interesting since the merge window is open. I recommend to read LKML unless you don't do so already...

I think that along with Fedora, MeeGo is one of the most interesting distribution at the moment and worth to follow.

This announcement was especially unfunny. He didn't even mention wanking walruses even once.

• User profile image
    rhm

Charles said:

C

I tried to install Ubuntu recently as it's the most popular desktop distro, but it wouldn't load in Virtual PC on my Vista 64 installation for some bizarre reason that I never got to the bottom of. That prompted me to install VM Ware Player instead and in the end I went with OpenSUSE which I have to say was pretty good. Managed to do all the admin tasks I needed without editing a single config file by hand, so it's a good choice for the Windows user. The GUI apps still lack a lot of polish compared to Windows though - I had all sorts of problems with windows and dialogs opening too small or way too large, odd font sizes etc. The package manager gave me a lot more grief than Windows Update does too.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Bass said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*

This announcement was especially unfunny. He didn't even mention wanking walruses even once.

Wink true, no jokes this time but pretty interesting critics and facts.

Totally off-topic but have you seen this Lucas Rocha's small project: The Board

"What is it made of? The Board is built on top of bleeding edge GNOME platform. It’s written in Javascript using the GObject Introspection-based Gjs. The UI is fully written with Clutter and Mx (with some small bits of GTK+ and Clutter-GTK+)."

http://vimeo.com/13601332

http://vimeo.com/13869009

It uses the same tools as GNOME 3.0 UI gnome-shell does ... really nice.

• User profile image
    Bactium​Review

I'm increasingly wary of BtrFS, due to claims that there are fundamental design flaws. This does not mean I believe such claims (although I observe LWN's top file-system contributing journalist is quitting her job, her entire career path and her State) but it does mean that I want to see someone do a proper systematic analysis of the methods used and algorithms chosen. I'll probably use it anyway. Radical filesystem architecturing is hard and better options are almost always likely to exist - the question I have is how much impact this actually has on performance and safety of BtrFS. A little? A lot? About average for filesystems? Bactium

• User profile image
    giovanni

Erisan said:

I am also an old Fedora aficionado (back from the days it was RedHat). Suse sounds very good too, but I never had the time to try it out Sad

• User profile image
    Erisan

giovanni said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*

I am also an old Fedora aficionado (back from the days it was RedHat). Suse sounds very good too, but I never had the time to try it out Sad

I'm distribution neutral but the reason I do use Fedora is their way to contribute code and active (mailing lists, IRC, ...) and technical Fedora community.

I tried openSUSE 11.3 and I really liked it. The only thing I don't like in openSUSE is the fonts they use and a menu in GNOME.

• User profile image
    Erisan

BactiumReview said:

I'm increasingly wary of BtrFS, due to claims that there are fundamental design flaws. This does not mean I believe such claims (although I observe LWN's top file-system contributing journalist is quitting her job, her entire career path and her State) but it does mean that I want to see someone do a proper systematic analysis of the methods used and algorithms chosen. I'll probably use it anyway. Radical filesystem architecturing is hard and better options are almost always likely to exist - the question I have is how much impact this actually has on performance and safety of BtrFS. A little? A lot? About average for filesystems? Bactium

Here's couple of answers for you (which you knew already of course Wink):

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1739756&cid=33106690

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Erisan said:
    BactiumReview said:
    *snip*

Here's couple of answers for you (which you knew already of course Wink):

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1739756&cid=33106690

Erisan, it seems that you've fallen for a pretty clever spammer. BactiumReview apparently copied this Slashdot comment and added an inconspicuous hyper-link to a page about a colon cleansing product. Unfortunately, we can't “mark as spam” individual posts in a thread.

• User profile image
    exoteric

TommyCarlier said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*

Erisan, it seems that you've fallen for a pretty clever spammer. BactiumReview apparently copied this Slashdot comment and added an inconspicuous hyper-link to a page about a colon cleansing product. Unfortunately, we can't “mark as spam” individual posts in a thread.

Not over on this site, no.

• User profile image
    Erisan

TommyCarlier said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*

Argh, it seems so. I didn't check the link on the post. Fortunately there's a spam-button in new C9 version (hmmh, wait a sec ... I don't think it's a good thing for my Linux threads Wink).

Well, at least the LWN article is still worth to read. Thanks to Bactium for that ...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.