Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • tina10

I am interviewing Ron Pessner this Thursday to talk about Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live.  Do you have any questions you would like me to ask him?  Thanks,

Tina

• Ian2

We want to use the XBOX live 'turn by turn' playing for the WP7 version of our 'Shove Halfpenny' game (http://apps.webservicesuk.com/shove)*.

Would you ask Ron when he anticipates that this service will be available for small dev shops like ours in the UK?

Thanks!

* NB This is an early desktop version of the game I have developed for WP7 but should suffice to give an idea of what we are trying to achieve. 

• Ian2

What opportunities does Ron forsee in the future for integration between Kinnect / XBOX Live and WP7 (if any?)

• W3bbo

I figured this time I'd eschew technical questions which I can find the answer to online, so...

"With respect to Microsoft's gaming strategy: what's your biggest regret?"

• W3bbo

Ian2 said:

What opportunities does Ron forsee in the future for integration between Kinnect / XBOX Live and WP7 (if any?)

Windows Phone 7 has a built-in accelerometer, so if the platform weren't so locked down we could write software that runs on WP7 devices to use accelerometer data to act as a kind of Wii controller, and then using the phone's built-in radio (with lots of hacking) get the Xbox to recognise it as a wireless controller, or use the USB support as a wired controller.

...dream on Smiley

• Dovella

Yep ! I have one big question.

We hope to see in future wp7 + XboxLive (and Zune) on Slate Pc ?

thanks

• CKurt

XBox live on the phone runs on XNA 4.0 , but really good Xbox blockbuster games are not made on top of the XNA framework. How can you convince big studios like EA , Bungie to adapt the XNA platform?

Also, is the any video conferencing over Xbox Live? Or sending voice messages to friends via phone?

• #incendy

Will XNA 4 eventually add api support for Windows 7 and touch capabilties. I know Microsoft is pushing Windows 7 as their tablet/slate OS and I would love to be able to port or write games for these devices. WPF just recently added more robust touch support and I am hoping the same will happen with XNA please make me happy and say it is coming! And soon : )

• ZippyV

• What advantages does WP7 have over dedicated portable gaming devices like the PSP or the Nintendo DS?
    • Is it possible to create a game on WP7 that communicates with other nearby players using Bluetooth?

• CKurt

ZippyV said:
    • What advantages does WP7 have over dedicated portable gaming devices like the PSP or the Nintendo DS?
    • Is it possible to create a game on WP7 that communicates with other nearby players using Bluetooth?

Why is zune support dropped with XNA 4 , the zune h hardware can surely handle it! I know it is a nish product, but still seems like the 'apps' promise for Zune HD was really deliverd.

How can i get my XNA Game to the phone ? Is an app in the app list downloaded from the Phone Marketplace ? or is it a Xbox Live Arcade title downloaded from the Xbox marketplace ?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.