Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Article about kinect internals

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    aL_

check this out, they even have some pictures of the kinect insides.

http://www.t3.com/feature_article.html?src=x&articleId=17763

only thing that bumms me a little is that i didnt see this on channel9 first :/ these tech journalists always seem to get some details wrong, it would have been nicer to hear it directly from the ms hardware folks Smiley

• User profile image
    androidi

But does it also do speech recognition (not just command recognition) and voice synthesis? It would break the immersion if everyone in a space station bar would look like aliens but sound like humans. Also of course playing a character of opposite gender is of interest I'm sure. Smiley (The male actor in Mass Effect was so dreadful I played both games through with the greatly voice acted female Shepard)

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

S

• User profile image
    exoteric

androidi said:

But does it also do speech recognition (not just command recognition) and voice synthesis? It would break the immersion if everyone in a space station bar would look like aliens but sound like humans. Also of course playing a character of opposite gender is of interest I'm sure. Smiley (The male actor in Mass Effect was so dreadful I played both games through with the greatly voice acted female Shepard)

TTS and STT is not new but realistic, emotional expressive speech (or singing) synthesis (and analysis) is not exactly where we seem to be today or in the next couple of years for that matter. It'll be very cool when we get there.

• User profile image
    Charles

Would you like to see some technical deep dives into Kinect here on C9? Is this something we should pursue?

C

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Charles said:

Would you like to see some technical deep dives into Kinect here on C9? Is this something we should pursue?

C

YES!

• User profile image
    Charles

CreamFilling512 said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

YES!

Everybody who agrees, post here. We will use this thread to convince Kinect product management that a C9 interview is worth it. Smiley

C

• User profile image
    aL_

Charles said:

C

hell yeah :O ive been bugging people about that for a year in various threads Big Smile

i know dan would love to make some interviews on kinect Smiley

the more technical kinect content, the better!

• User profile image
    ryanb

Charles said:

C

YES

• User profile image
    CKurt

ryanb said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

YES

YES! An interview would be very insightfull.

• User profile image
    Charles

We need more than 9 replies, though who doesn't love the number nine? Smiley
    C

• User profile image
    figuerres

Charles said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Everybody who agrees, post here. We will use this thread to convince Kinect product management that a C9 interview is worth it. Smiley

C

YES YES YES YES YES....... repeat as needed.......

also I totally want to see this opened up to more developers and the PC!

I can see a lot of possible uses for this that would be more than an X-BOX game!

things like training for EMT's and POLICE as just one area for it's use.

also to enable the folks who have limited use of the body, like take this and let a person who can move the face take control of stuff.

and so on....

• User profile image
    dentaku

Charles said:

C

Well obviously Wink

Wanting to know how stuff works is part of being a nerd.

• User profile image
    rhm

Charles said:

We need more than 9 replies, though who doesn't love the number nine? Smiley
    C

Hell yeh!

I assume it's all patented up the wazzo, so there's no harm in explaining in detail how things work in Kinect. In particular I've yet to see a technical explanation of how the motion sensing system works. Saying  "it projects a grid in infra-red" doesn't tell us how it turns whatever comes in from the sensor into a depth map, let alone how the depth map becomes a list of points being tracked and how those tracked points then become the skeletons of the players.

• User profile image
    aL_

Charles said:

C

the thing im mostly interesed in is the apis, what are the potions for selecting what to track, stuff like that..

if they could adress the lag roumors once and for all that would be great two, what is the base delay of the hardware, how much can you control it by using diffrent tracking options, what kind of extensibility is there for the tracking..

so many questions.. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Charles said:

C

Definitely!

• User profile image
    exoteric

Richard.Hein said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Definitely!

Yes! Also keep in mind that with thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of views on these videos it's not just "coffee-housers" you're targetting but you're almost guaranteed to have a much larger and wider audience than just the fraction who are have signed up and posted here. The silent majority is... silent. It's also worth considering that this could have a large view count based on the fact that this will also be of interest to technical enthusiasts and gamers.

• User profile image
    AndyC

exoteric said:
    Richard.Hein said:
    *snip*

Yes! Also keep in mind that with thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of views on these videos it's not just "coffee-housers" you're targetting but you're almost guaranteed to have a much larger and wider audience than just the fraction who are have signed up and posted here. The silent majority is... silent. It's also worth considering that this could have a large view count based on the fact that this will also be of interest to technical enthusiasts and gamers.

Definitely. An interview about kinect internals would be fascinating.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.