Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Article about kinect internals

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • magicalclick

I am more interested in Windows SDK where I can use my "eye" tracking to issue windows commands. Wink

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • aL_

kettch said:
    aL_ said:
    *snip*

The concentric pattern could be a recursive reflection of the lens elements off of the back of the lens glass itself, I've seen something like that before. There is some kind of irregularity towards the center, but that kind of looks like a moire pattern.

yeah, could be anything really Smiley

@tina

YOU ROCK Big Smile

id really like to know if the projector /ir detector is polarization dependant at all.. it might be possible to have two kinects pointing at the same space, and use a polarization filter like the ones you get in cinema 3d glasses, to prevent them from interfering with each other.

that would enable an almost complete coverage of the scene..

obvously this wouldnt be an application for xboxes primarily, but for PCs it would cerinly be possible...

• Ralph Trickey

Charles said:

Would you like to see some technical deep dives into Kinect here on C9? Is this something we should pursue?

C

Yes. I'd like to see the technical details, APIs and how well it can work in practice for things like AMSLAN.

• raptor3676

Charles said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Everybody who agrees, post here. We will use this thread to convince Kinect product management that a C9 interview is worth it. Smiley

C

Yes! and why is it taking so long?  Big Smile

• Charles

raptor3676 said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Yes! and why is it taking so long?  Big Smile

The Kinect team isn't ready to go deep yet. You'll need to be patient.
    C

• Bass

Charles said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

The Kinect team isn't ready to go deep yet. You'll need to be patient.
    C

With something as innovative as Kinect, it's probably worth waiting till after or at least very close to release before divulging too many technical details. You don't know if any C9'ers work for Nintendo or Sony, after all. Smiley

• BitFlipper

aL_ said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

yeah, could be anything really Smiley

@tina

YOU ROCK Big Smile

id really like to know if the projector /ir detector is polarization dependant at all.. it might be possible to have two kinects pointing at the same space, and use a polarization filter like the ones you get in cinema 3d glasses, to prevent them from interfering with each other.

that would enable an almost complete coverage of the scene..

obvously this wouldnt be an application for xboxes primarily, but for PCs it would cerinly be possible...

Actually I have the same question, and I updated my list of questions in my post. So far I have not had a difinitive answer whether you can use multiple Kinect systems side-by-side. This is something that will affect my buying decision since I currently have two Xboxes set up next to each other.

• CKurt

BitFlipper said:
    aL_ said:
    *snip*

Actually I have the same question, and I updated my list of questions in my post. So far I have not had a difinitive answer whether you can use multiple Kinect systems side-by-side. This is something that will affect my buying decision since I currently have two Xboxes set up next to each other.

Why do you have 2 xboxes side-by-side ?

• W3bbo

CKurt said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

Xbox 1 and Xbox 360?

• BitFlipper

CKurt said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

Because me and my wife both like to play GOW2, and we have a setup where we can cart in a second TV into the living room and play campaign or online. Much better than having to play spit-screen, that is for sure. Depending on what games end up coming out for use with Kinect, we might want to try those. If we are restricted to one Kinect at a time only, it kinda spoils the fun I'd say.

BTW, it was my wife that suggested we get a second Xbox, but I'm not going to complain...Smiley

• Cream​Filling512

BitFlipper said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Because me and my wife both like to play GOW2, and we have a setup where we can cart in a second TV into the living room and play campaign or online. Much better than having to play spit-screen, that is for sure. Depending on what games end up coming out for use with Kinect, we might want to try those. If we are restricted to one Kinect at a time only, it kinda spoils the fun I'd say.

BTW, it was my wife that suggested we get a second Xbox, but I'm not going to complain...Smiley

I can't imagine how that could possibly work.

• Minh

BitFlipper said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

So you're gonna have 2 kinnects hooked up? why?

I doubt if that would work since the kinnect project an infrared pattern onto the scene. Two kinnects will probably interfere with each other

• Cream​Filling512

Minh said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

So you're gonna have 2 kinnects hooked up? why?

I doubt if that would work since the kinnect project an infrared pattern onto the scene. Two kinnects will probably interfere with each other

Not only that but you're also physically sharing the same play space, it doesn't make any sense.

• BitFlipper

CreamFilling512 said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Not only that but you're also physically sharing the same play space, it doesn't make any sense.

Not sure why you think this would be such a big problem space-wise. It's not as if the TVs are on top of each other. They are about 4 feet apart, and one being 46" and the other 60", the centers of the TVs are about 8 ft apart. Eight feet seems more than enough between 2 people.

From a technical point of view, they might very well interfere. But the light that is being projected is most likely not continuous but pulsed, so technically it might be possible for one to detect that there is already another Kinect in the room, and sync in such a way that they multiplex properly. Such things are not unheard of. I have heard many times of families that have multiple Xboxes in the same room (multiple kids), so I don't think such a scenario is an edge case.

But as I said, I want to get a definitive answer from someone that actually knows the details about these things.

@Minh

"So you're gonna have 2 kinnects hooked up? why?"

If you have two Xboxes and two TVs, you don't need to play split-screen. Or better, you can play in a team or against someone else that is right there in the same room using games that usually only support online play, not split screen. We also have two Xbox accounts, so this makes perfect sense.

I am somewhat surprised that this seems to be such an unheard of setup. What's not to understand?

• Minh

BitFlipper said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

Not sure why you think this would be such a big problem space-wise. It's not as if the TVs are on top of each other. They are about 4 feet apart, and one being 46" and the other 60", the centers of the TVs are about 8 ft apart. Eight feet seems more than enough between 2 people.

From a technical point of view, they might very well interfere. But the light that is being projected is most likely not continuous but pulsed, so technically it might be possible for one to detect that there is already another Kinect in the room, and sync in such a way that they multiplex properly. Such things are not unheard of. I have heard many times of families that have multiple Xboxes in the same room (multiple kids), so I don't think such a scenario is an edge case.

But as I said, I want to get a definitive answer from someone that actually knows the details about these things.

@Minh

"So you're gonna have 2 kinnects hooked up? why?"

If you have two Xboxes and two TVs, you don't need to play split-screen. Or better, you can play in a team or against someone else that is right there in the same room using games that usually only support online play, not split screen. We also have two Xbox accounts, so this makes perfect sense.

I am somewhat surprised that this seems to be such an unheard of setup. What's not to understand?

It might be because I'm poor and only have 1 TV in the living room. I'm being facetious of course... but C'MON 2 Kinnects on 2 TVs? That's not exactly an common configuration. That might be the ultimate first-world-problem.

• BitFlipper

Minh said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

It might be because I'm poor and only have 1 TV in the living room. I'm being facetious of course... but C'MON 2 Kinnects on 2 TVs? That's not exactly an common configuration. That might be the ultimate first-world-problem.

A lot of people have more than 1 TV. We have one in the living room and one in the bedroom. We built a simple stand with wheels so that we can easily hook the bedroom TV off the wall and onto the stand, and then wheel it into the living room. Xboxes are quite cheap these days. And Xbox Live accounts are $50 each per year (sometimes $30 if you look for specials). I don't think any of this is really that over the top. All of this (except for the TVs which we already had) is probably cheaper than a single car payment that some people have on their beamer (which we don't have).

• rhm

BitFlipper said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

A lot of people have more than 1 TV. We have one in the living room and one in the bedroom. We built a simple stand with wheels so that we can easily hook the bedroom TV off the wall and onto the stand, and then wheel it into the living room. Xboxes are quite cheap these days. And Xbox Live accounts are $50 each per year (sometimes $30 if you look for specials). I don't think any of this is really that over the top. All of this (except for the TVs which we already had) is probably cheaper than a single car payment that some people have on their beamer (which we don't have).

I think if someone has more than 1 TV in their living room, they need to take a long hard look at the way their life is going.

• BitFlipper

rhm said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

I think if someone has more than 1 TV in their living room, they need to take a long hard look at the way their life is going.

Lol, uhn no! You do realize that the TV is temporarily moved to the living room, right?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.