Coffeehouse Thread

70 posts

Article about kinect internals

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • kettch

rhm said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

I think if someone has more than 1 TV in their living room, they need to take a long hard look at the way their life is going.

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to have a lair with a wall of different sized tvs and monitors precarious stacked on top of each other.

• Duncanma

BitFlipper said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Lol, uhn no! You do realize that the TV is temporarily moved to the living room, right?

I think the scenario of two Kinects in the same room is unlikely to be on their list of requirements. Yes, many people who can afford an Xbox 360 have more than one TV, but very very few of them would ever have them in the same room. I get that you move yours temporarily, but that also seems pretty rare.

• davewill

Duncanma said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

I think the scenario of two Kinects in the same room is unlikely to be on their list of requirements. Yes, many people who can afford an Xbox 360 have more than one TV, but very very few of them would ever have them in the same room. I get that you move yours temporarily, but that also seems pretty rare.

I don't think what BitFlipper describes is all that far fetched.  Every group of siblings who share a room and bunk bed are in the same boat.

If multiple Wii consoles in the same room don't work then Kinect can wait.  However, if multiple Wii consoles work in the same room then the average Joe won't care about invisible laser beams, grids, and stuff.  It will seem obvious to Joe that it should just work.

• BitFlipper

davewill said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

I don't think what BitFlipper describes is all that far fetched.  Every group of siblings who share a room and bunk bed are in the same boat.

If multiple Wii consoles in the same room don't work then Kinect can wait.  However, if multiple Wii consoles work in the same room then the average Joe won't care about invisible laser beams, grids, and stuff.  It will seem obvious to Joe that it should just work.

I can imagine that in places like dorm rooms for instance, students might connect more than one Xbox to the network at the same time in the same room.

Do a search for 'Xbox 360 "lan party"' and tell me again such setups are unheard off. Here are some videos that illustrate the concept. It will be unfortunate if Kinect can't handle such situations.

• rhm

BitFlipper said:
    davewill said:
    *snip*

I can imagine that in places like dorm rooms for instance, students might connect more than one Xbox to the network at the same time in the same room.

Do a search for 'Xbox 360 "lan party"' and tell me again such setups are unheard off. Here are some videos that illustrate the concept. It will be unfortunate if Kinect can't handle such situations.

For a peripheral that's supposed to support multiplayer games, I think it would be tragic if there are multiple people in the same room playing on seperate Kinects. Interact with each other, people!

• BitFlipper

rhm said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

For a peripheral that's supposed to support multiplayer games, I think it would be tragic if there are multiple people in the same room playing on seperate Kinects. Interact with each other, people!

Really?

I have the feeling you just want to be argumentative for the sake of it since what you say doesn't make sense. Or you are just being facetious. You do realize that people that will be playing on said multiple Kinect systems in the same room would actually be playing against or with each other, right? Just that instead of sharing a cramped experience on a splitscreen, they will be sharing it fullscreen on multiple TVs. Or, some games (and I suspect many online-capable Kinect games) won't allow split-screen in the first place, so there you have a mode of play that would otherwise not be possible with multiple people in the same room.

Let me guess... Next you will tell people to go outside and play in the sun...?

• rhm

BitFlipper said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Really?

I have the feeling you just want to be argumentative for the sake of it since what you say doesn't make sense. Or you are just being facetious. You do realize that people that will be playing on said multiple Kinect systems in the same room would actually be playing against or with each other, right? Just that instead of sharing a cramped experience on a splitscreen, they will be sharing it fullscreen on multiple TVs. Or, some games (and I suspect many online-capable Kinect games) won't allow split-screen in the first place, so there you have a mode of play that would otherwise not be possible with multiple people in the same room.

Let me guess... Next you will tell people to go outside and play in the sun...?

What I say makes more sense than taking something that designed for families to play together in their living room and complain that you can't use multiple units together in a dorm room lan party. It's the most ridiculously obscure use-case I've heard since someone on this forum was complaining that they couldn't run Win7 as a multi-user server in a VM.

• BitFlipper

rhm said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

What I say makes more sense than taking something that designed for families to play together in their living room and complain that you can't use multiple units together in a dorm room lan party. It's the most ridiculously obscure use-case I've heard since someone on this forum was complaining that they couldn't run Win7 as a multi-user server in a VM.

Except in your wonderful and heartwarming scenario where the "families play together in their living room", in the vast majority of cases they will have to take turns and play one at a time.

If it turns out that it is true that only one Kinect can opperate at a time in the same room, I suspect it won't take long after that for headlines to pop up that slam Kinect for how "flawed" it is.

It amazes me when people think that any use case outside of their own world is "the most ridiculously obscure use case...". That's some pretty close-minded stuff you have going there...

• davewill

BitFlipper said:
    davewill said:
    *snip*

Tell your wife you have an "investment opportunity".  Smiley  Buy milar sheeting, cut it to size, and then sell it online as a "rollup kinect room divider".  For a premium allow custom sizes.  Throw in the roll of duct tape ("rollup kinect room divider attachment accessory") for FREE.  Get that guy who succeeded Billy Mays and walla!  Your first million.

LOL

I'll need 10% please.  Smiley

• blowdart

BitFlipper said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Except in your wonderful and heartwarming scenario where the "families play together in their living room", in the vast majority of cases they will have to take turns and play one at a time.

If it turns out that it is true that only one Kinect can opperate at a time in the same room, I suspect it won't take long after that for headlines to pop up that slam Kinect for how "flawed" it is.

It amazes me when people think that any use case outside of their own world is "the most ridiculously obscure use case...". That's some pretty close-minded stuff you have going there...

But multiple people can play at once on a single Kinnect .... so that blows the family argument out of the water.

• BitFlipper

blowdart said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

But multiple people can play at once on a single Kinnect .... so that blows the family argument out of the water.

Only two can play max, and if you look at the games so far, very few even allow that. Most are turn based. Now if it allowed online play (where two or more play against/with each other at the same time), it means you can play with multiple people at the same time in the same room with games that don't support splitscreen. Well, that is if the Kinect hardware can support such a setup. Which none of us know for sure either way at this point. All I'm asking for is that someone that knows for sure answer that question.

Also, it's not just a case of "Yes two people can play on one Kinect at a time", it more a case of "I have a setup with two Xboxes that is more convenient for two people, so can I use a Kinect sytem with each of the two Xboxes?"

Just because no-one else in this thread apparently ever used more than one Xbox in the same room doesn't mean it is an invalid question.

• Cream​Filling512

BitFlipper said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

Only two can play max, and if you look at the games so far, very few even allow that. Most are turn based. Now if it allowed online play (where two or more play against/with each other at the same time), it means you can play with multiple people at the same time in the same room with games that don't support splitscreen. Well, that is if the Kinect hardware can support such a setup. Which none of us know for sure either way at this point. All I'm asking for is that someone that knows for sure answer that question.

Also, it's not just a case of "Yes two people can play on one Kinect at a time", it more a case of "I have a setup with two Xboxes that is more convenient for two people, so can I use a Kinect sytem with each of the two Xboxes?"

Just because no-one else in this thread apparently ever used more than one Xbox in the same room doesn't mean it is an invalid question.

But thats because most people don't have gymnasiums as a living room.

• BitFlipper

CreamFilling512 said:
    BitFlipper said:
    *snip*

But thats because most people don't have gymnasiums as a living room.

Yes, in the link I provided earlier of all of the people that uploaded those videos to YouTube of their LAN parties had gymnasiums as living rooms.

Really, it sometimes amazes me how little imagination people on this forum have. If something doesn't apply to their own life or experience, it can't possibly exist. Or if someone thinks of something that is even slightly out of the norm, it is "...the most ridiculously obscure use-case...". Is this something that is specific to people that tend to be on MS related forums (and don't get me wrong, I'm pro-MS)? I'm not saying everyone here is like that, but people here seem to be much more close-minded than what you would typically find on other tech forums. I have noticed this same thing a few times now.

• aL_

Charles said:
    raptor3676 said:
    *snip*

The Kinect team isn't ready to go deep yet. You'll need to be patient.
    C

That is of cousre their choise but i think they are making a mistake keeping so much of the technical info away from the public.. if you visit any kind of gaming news site at all, all you'll see is misunderstandings and down right incorrect statements about kinect.

people are not seeing the potential of kinect. they see it as a wii ripoff with wii ripoff games. they are ofcourse incorrect but since kinect was announced microsoft has done -nothing- to widly mitigate this kinect FUD... it makes me worry if the visions for kinect are truly as limited as microsoft makes them out to be, a casual only experience packed with shovelware, or if there is something else as well. if you look hard enough, read every interview and study every video clip in detail [and im pretty close to that] there are grains of hope, but the general public has absolutly no idea..

they dont adress any of the concerns, not the lag, not resolution, not deeper games,  kudo is basically just saying "just buy it ok? they you'll see how good it is" well you know what? it takes a little more than the word of an exceutive for people to get excited about a product. the people who will make kinect are indie developers, like many of us here at c9. The kind of people who dont have giant budgets but can afford to takes risks. microsoft is telling is that completly new experiences are required for kinect, but at the same time they are keeping the developers who create those experiences completly in the dark.

compare the handling of kinect with  winPhone7. there develoeprs got in early and was able to give feedback on the development expereince. its like night and day..

microsofts by far weakest point has always been marketing and understanding their customers [devdiv excluded]. casing point, this very recent interview with kudo where he claims the launch games have something for everyone. the bloody well dont. maybe thats just execu-speak, but if he truly belives that, kinect is in serious trouble unless more wide-minded developers are allowed access.

• Charles

aL_ said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

That is of cousre their choise but i think they are making a mistake keeping so much of the technical info away from the public.. if you visit any kind of gaming news site at all, all you'll see is misunderstandings and down right incorrect statements about kinect.

people are not seeing the potential of kinect. they see it as a wii ripoff with wii ripoff games. they are ofcourse incorrect but since kinect was announced microsoft has done -nothing- to widly mitigate this kinect FUD... it makes me worry if the visions for kinect are truly as limited as microsoft makes them out to be, a casual only experience packed with shovelware, or if there is something else as well. if you look hard enough, read every interview and study every video clip in detail [and im pretty close to that] there are grains of hope, but the general public has absolutly no idea..

they dont adress any of the concerns, not the lag, not resolution, not deeper games,  kudo is basically just saying "just buy it ok? they you'll see how good it is" well you know what? it takes a little more than the word of an exceutive for people to get excited about a product. the people who will make kinect are indie developers, like many of us here at c9. The kind of people who dont have giant budgets but can afford to takes risks. microsoft is telling is that completly new experiences are required for kinect, but at the same time they are keeping the developers who create those experiences completly in the dark.

compare the handling of kinect with  winPhone7. there develoeprs got in early and was able to give feedback on the development expereince. its like night and day..

microsofts by far weakest point has always been marketing and understanding their customers [devdiv excluded]. casing point, this very recent interview with kudo where he claims the launch games have something for everyone. the bloody well dont. maybe thats just execu-speak, but if he truly belives that, kinect is in serious trouble unless more wide-minded developers are allowed access.

Tina is in fact working with the kinect team on plan for a deep interview. Just need to wait until the team is ready - their number one priority is in shipping a great product. Not doing a Channel 9 interview Smiley That will come later.

Clearly this thread makes the interest in this very obvious!!
    C

• aL_

Charles said:
    aL_ said:
    *snip*

Tina is in fact working with the kinect team on plan for a deep interview. Just need to wait until the team is ready - their number one priority is in shipping a great product. Not doing a Channel 9 interview Smiley That will come later.

Clearly this thread makes the interest in this very obvious!!
    C

that is great to hear Smiley

i know kinect will be an awsome product and im just eager to get my mits on it..

maybe you can airdrop hanselman in there with a nothing but a cellphone camera and his wits. in the old days c9 didnt seem to aks for much in the way of premissions before barging in Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.