Coffeehouse Thread

79 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft outside the US

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

    Am I the only one thinking this ? http://callemin.be/blog/?p=232

     

    I was so frusterated I wrote a complete post about what I think is wrong with Microsoft's strategy. Is there anybody on abroad that does not agree with me?

     

    I want to discus this to maybe adjust my view on this whole situation. Anybody care to give his or her oppinion ?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Oh man, don't get me started. The whole XBox Live experience in Europe is laughable, except perhaps in Britain. Media Center is next to useless here for watching or recording TV. Your closing sentiment, about there being a lot of room for innovation and lots of potential, and that it's a shame none of it is being used sums up my feelings about Microsoft in general, and for European services in particular.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Or speech recognition in Windows and Office.

     

    Microsoft doesn't spend any money on development or marketing in Europe.

  • User profile image
    rhm

    ZippyV said:

    Or speech recognition in Windows and Office.

     

    Microsoft doesn't spend any money on development or marketing in Europe.

    Really? The adverts for Bing and Windows 7 are on constantly in Britain.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    rhm said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    Really? The adverts for Bing and Windows 7 are on constantly in Britain.

    That's because they don't have to translate them. I've never seen a Microsoft commercial in my life.

  • User profile image
    HomerSimpian

    Well, as an outsider (non MS employee and US citizen) I'm not surprised by this at all.  I mean, if I were a company that was repeatedly fined Billions of $$ for doing business on a continent...I'd be reluctant to invest much more than the minimum going forward.  Of course, that's just my take on it. 

     

    If MS were to invest in Zune or MC over in Europe, it might not be long before the EU would take them to task over more antitrust issues.

     Just my $.02

     

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    ZippyV said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

    That's because they don't have to translate them. I've never seen a Microsoft commercial in my life.

    I've seen some of of the Your Potential, Our Passion ones in the Netherlands. I've never seen a commercial for a specific MS product though.

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    HomerSimpian said:

    Well, as an outsider (non MS employee and US citizen) I'm not surprised by this at all.  I mean, if I were a company that was repeatedly fined Billions of $$ for doing business on a continent...I'd be reluctant to invest much more than the minimum going forward.  Of course, that's just my take on it. 

     

    If MS were to invest in Zune or MC over in Europe, it might not be long before the EU would take them to task over more antitrust issues.

     Just my $.02

     

    The EU has more than 500,000,000 citizens. Let that number settle in for a moment.

  • User profile image
    CKurt

    ZippyV said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

    That's because they don't have to translate them. I've never seen a Microsoft commercial in my life.

    Well they do translate it, it's clearly brittish english and not dubbed. But one does think. Maybee the bosses at Microsoft only speak english and understand english countries? Tongue Out

     

    Microsoft doesn't spend any money on development or marketing in Europe.

     

    And it's a shame! A real real shame! There is some marketing going on inside schools and on nerdy events and such. But no television , movie, supermarket marketing at all! It's a shame, and they should do something about it.

     

    If Microsoft would have a developer office in europe working closely with european costumers. I would love to be a developper/tester there! That's why people love to work for microsoft. Most say "It's because of the impact you might have on the world because you are working on products everybody uses" , but for many products the world is the US from there point of view.

  • User profile image
    HomerSimpian

    exoteric said:
    HomerSimpian said:
    *snip*

    The EU has more than 500,000,000 citizens. Let that number settle in for a moment.

    Yes, that is a nice population.  But, if the respective governing bodies say otherwise, the populace is at a disadvantage.  Look at Google with China and, well, every company and their relationship with China.  Great market potential, but boy..that government.  Tricky game to play.  If the EU were more clear on what is/isn't acceptable, maybe there would be more MS development in Europe.  I don't know.  But seeing as how even Google doesn't escape the wrath of the EU at times what is a US based company to do?  Europe, from my  far away perspective, is very protective.

     

    Again, I just throw this out there.  I don't claim to be an expert on this subject.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    exoteric said:
    HomerSimpian said:
    *snip*

    The EU has more than 500,000,000 citizens. Let that number settle in for a moment.

    The EU has more than 500,000,000 citizens. Let that number settle in for a moment.

    That may be true, but the problem is, the EU is not one market. If you want to do TV, there's not one company that owns the rights for all of Europe. There's not one company that has music distribution rights for all of Europe. We all speak a different language, have different tax and IP laws, and until recently all had different currencies (and some still do).

     

    Yes, it's a lot of people, but they're incredibly fragmented. You can't target all of them at once, you need to target two dozen tiny subgroups of that. And that, it seems, is just too much effort.

     

    That's just my guess anyway. I don't think that the EU's fines have anything to do with it really, because this isn't something recent. It's always been that way.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    I've seen plenty of Microsoft ads here. They recently had a huge IE ad campaign here. The trouble is that I don't care about advertising, I care about services, which are nowhere.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Sven Groot said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

    That may be true, but the problem is, the EU is not one market. If you want to do TV, there's not one company that owns the rights for all of Europe. There's not one company that has music distribution rights for all of Europe. We all speak a different language, have different tax and IP laws, and until recently all had different currencies (and some still do).

     

    Yes, it's a lot of people, but they're incredibly fragmented. You can't target all of them at once, you need to target two dozen tiny subgroups of that. And that, it seems, is just too much effort.

     

    That's just my guess anyway. I don't think that the EU's fines have anything to do with it really, because this isn't something recent. It's always been that way.

    If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft.

  • User profile image
    CKurt

    Sven Groot said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

    That may be true, but the problem is, the EU is not one market. If you want to do TV, there's not one company that owns the rights for all of Europe. There's not one company that has music distribution rights for all of Europe. We all speak a different language, have different tax and IP laws, and until recently all had different currencies (and some still do).

     

    Yes, it's a lot of people, but they're incredibly fragmented. You can't target all of them at once, you need to target two dozen tiny subgroups of that. And that, it seems, is just too much effort.

     

    That's just my guess anyway. I don't think that the EU's fines have anything to do with it really, because this isn't something recent. It's always been that way.

    I agree, it's about the effort that is needed to launch something on Europe.

     

    Maybe they could contact European Counsel directly? I mean most of those laws will become european anyway. And they must have some experience with the countries from Xbox partnerships.

     

    It is worth the trouble, but somebody at Microsoft clearly disagrees.

  • User profile image
    Zeus

    May they are just to embarrased about this still:

    Generic Forum Image

     

  • User profile image
    CKurt

    ZippyV said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

    If Apple can do it, so can Microsoft.

    Honestly, Apple can't do it that good either.

     

    Apple has the advantage of having (a list of) stores who are 'Premium Resellers' and only get that title because they apply Apple's rules. So it is easy to 'ship' hardware. I however have never seen an add from apple on the TV. I have seen ad's about there products from other companiers, or even better, seen ad about "SMS 'win now' to 5847 to win an Iphone" ad.

     

    For the iPhone launch they picked one of the worst Belgian mobile providers. And did not let anybody else sell them, alltough Belgium did not allow locked phones by law back then. (So the phones are unlocked and you can change the carrier, but only one carrier was allowed to sell them...)

     

    Somehow the iTunes Gift cards did find there way into every medium to large shop we have in belgium. Right next to the prepaid phone cards.

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    CKurt said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

    Honestly, Apple can't do it that good either.

     

    Apple has the advantage of having (a list of) stores who are 'Premium Resellers' and only get that title because they apply Apple's rules. So it is easy to 'ship' hardware. I however have never seen an add from apple on the TV. I have seen ad's about there products from other companiers, or even better, seen ad about "SMS 'win now' to 5847 to win an Iphone" ad.

     

    For the iPhone launch they picked one of the worst Belgian mobile providers. And did not let anybody else sell them, alltough Belgium did not allow locked phones by law back then. (So the phones are unlocked and you can change the carrier, but only one carrier was allowed to sell them...)

     

    Somehow the iTunes Gift cards did find there way into every medium to large shop we have in belgium. Right next to the prepaid phone cards.

    Doesn't matter how 'bad' Apple. Their iPod was faster available in Europe than the Zune. Same with iTunes.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Zeus said:

    May they are just to embarrased about this still:

    Generic Forum Image

     

    Embarased? That looks like pretty impresive software to me ...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.