Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

So I decided I want a tablet

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

So I decided I want a tablet, mainly for note-taking.  It's unlikely I'll need the ones with fancy flipping keyboards and such, as I'll just break out the laptop or go home and use the desktop when I want to get anything done. 

I haven't been following tablet development over the past few years.  What are the best options given these priorities?

1. Under $1K
    2. USB & BlueTooth
    3. Stylus with good accuracy
    4. Able to run full versions of Windows

I don't care about pressure sensitivity, multitouch, nor space. Just need about 30-50 GB for OS and Office.

A personal note to the OneNote team:  Penning on the mouse sucks. Give me a way to make that tiny dot bigger, or at least let me use the OS's Precision pointer.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Each to their own. After using an MS Tablet to try and take notes, I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I cannot point out exactly what is wrong with taking notes on a tablet, but it certainly isn't as good as paper or a whiteboard.

Best use of a tablet I've seen, is a laptop that just "happened" to be a tablet too, meaning you can lift the screen off. Great if you need to show someone something or just want to watch a movie.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

ManipUni said:

Each to their own. After using an MS Tablet to try and take notes, I wouldn't buy one for that reason. I cannot point out exactly what is wrong with taking notes on a tablet, but it certainly isn't as good as paper or a whiteboard.

Best use of a tablet I've seen, is a laptop that just "happened" to be a tablet too, meaning you can lift the screen off. Great if you need to show someone something or just want to watch a movie.

Yeah, I don't object to having a keyboard, just don't see it as essential as long as I have BT or USB.

That kinda sucks, because OneNote is the best note-taking tool I've found, and I've been getting into the higher maths, chemistry, quantum what-not, etc lately. Input for those topics isn't really keyboard-friendly.  Which also sucks, because I'm a keyboard-centric kinda guy.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

SlackmasterK said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Yeah, I don't object to having a keyboard, just don't see it as essential as long as I have BT or USB.

That kinda sucks, because OneNote is the best note-taking tool I've found, and I've been getting into the higher maths, chemistry, quantum what-not, etc lately. Input for those topics isn't really keyboard-friendly.  Which also sucks, because I'm a keyboard-centric kinda guy.

I can understand that. What are the avantages of a Tablet compared to paper and a pen? Would it save you time?

• User profile image
    Evok

ManipUni said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

I can understand that. What are the avantages of a Tablet compared to paper and a pen? Would it save you time?

When I was in school, there were plenty of times that I would have loved to have a tablet for notes. There were many times that I would have been taking notes and maybe would have drawn a graph on my paper, then finding out I made it too big to write more words next to it, then having to grab a new sheet or flip over to the other side and draw an arrow to my graph from the wording I had just written, etc. It would have been great to be able to just grab my drawing on the sheet of paper and resize it or move it over some without having to erase some.

A tablet wouldn't have saved me any time, but it would have definitely made note taking more concise, and easier to read.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

ManipUni said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

Searchability, backupability, editability, extensibility... other ilities...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tablets are overrated. Typing is much faster and accurate than handwriting; the only benefit you get are the ability to do doodles and illustrations, something you can do with a portable Wacom you plug-in as needed.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:

Tablets are overrated. Typing is much faster and accurate than handwriting; the only benefit you get are the ability to do doodles and illustrations, something you can do with a portable Wacom you plug-in as needed.

With laptops, I find lugging around, finding space for and plugging/unplugging a mouse to be a huge hassle. A wacom would be even worse. Also you can write with one hand which is infinitely better than typing with one hand. When doing research that's a big plus.

I'd say get one of those tablet EEE PC's. They're under $1K, have USB and bluetooth, and run full Windows 7. I have no idea how accurate they are though.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

W3bbo said:

I don't think you're getting the purpose of the Tablet PC. It's not to replace your PC or a laptop, it's a replacement of your dayplanner, and your printer, etc. Getting all of those into one place.

I haven't printed anything in 5 1/2 years. If anyone sends me a Word doc at work in an email, I send it to my Tablet and Print to OneNote. BAM. There it is.

I have TweetDeck on my Tablet, since I really don't need another thing open on my work computer, and only writing < 140 characters on the on-screen pen recognition is quick for a quick tweet.

I have FeedDemon on my Tablet, this is only one way, reading, so no need for a keyboard, and again at workI don't need another thing open on my work computer.

It's also good for reading. Just grab a txt file from Project Gutenberg like Moby Dick, open in Word, Export as a Reader doc, and BOOM you have a nice book to read just need to hit a button on the tablet and you're in portrait-mode.

And I take the thing off the dock, and I'm taking it to the restaurant with me as I go to lunch, and the odds are they have free wireless.

What Windows 7 is missing of course is an Education or Experience Pack...haven't heard a word yet on those.

Edit:

Here's mine, the Motion Computing LE1600. Not touch screen but the newer ones have that.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

With laptops, I find lugging around, finding space for and plugging/unplugging a mouse to be a huge hassle. A wacom would be even worse. Also you can write with one hand which is infinitely better than typing with one hand. When doing research that's a big plus.

I'd say get one of those tablet EEE PC's. They're under $1K, have USB and bluetooth, and run full Windows 7. I have no idea how accurate they are though.

I have one of the Eee PC Tablets with Windows 7 -- it's a bit underpowered.

Fine for casual use, but I don't think it would be able to keep up with frenetic note-taking in a lecture.

I'd go for a full tablet-factor laptop.

Herbie

• User profile image
    contextfree`

Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I have a 1.5-2.5 hour bus/train commute each way to/from work every day, so I'd love a tablet or convertible netbook to write down my thoughts etc., and I've kind of gotten addicted to OneNote so something that supports it would be nice, but everything I've looked at has some dealbreaker or another (either too slow, too expensive, or the HP TouchSmarts apparently have a glossy screen that's not viewable in sunlight for example). 

Actually, here are my requirements if anyone knows of something that meets them:

* Around $800 or less

* Runs a non-gimped PC operating system, preferably Windows

* >=2GB RAM

* >=5 hours battery life

* Good support for both multitouch & stylus input, preferably with convertible keyboard

* Usable in sunlight

* 11-12"-ish screen

I'm thinking nothing will qualify for another year or so.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

contextfree` said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

I have a 1.5-2.5 hour bus/train commute each way to/from work every day, so I'd love a tablet or convertible netbook to write down my thoughts etc., and I've kind of gotten addicted to OneNote so something that supports it would be nice, but everything I've looked at has some dealbreaker or another (either too slow, too expensive, or the HP TouchSmarts apparently have a glossy screen that's not viewable in sunlight for example). 

Actually, here are my requirements if anyone knows of something that meets them:

* Around $800 or less

* Runs a non-gimped PC operating system, preferably Windows

* >=2GB RAM

* >=5 hours battery life

* Good support for both multitouch & stylus input, preferably with convertible keyboard

* Usable in sunlight

* 11-12"-ish screen

I'm thinking nothing will qualify for another year or so.

So I ended up ordering:

So that fits your specs as well as mine Smiley  Except screen size.  Now you're looking at 4 times as much.

Win7, bluetooth, 802.11 b/g/n, 5 hours...

• User profile image
    ESgarbi

To be honest I never wanted a tablet until I got mine at the Pdc and I truly enjoy it and use it a lot.

I remember people saying that it was under $800 but Im not sure:

http://www.microsoftpdc.com/tablet

• User profile image
    wkempf

I've been interested in a tablet for note taking as well. As an alternative I've also been thinking about a "digital pen". There's several out there now, such as this one: http://www.epos-ps.com/products.asp?pid=1275&ppid=1278. Not an all purpose device, but much more portable and flexible for note taking. If I could just find someone who's used one of these to get a meaningful opinion on them Smiley.

• User profile image
    LarryLarsen

ESgarbi said:

To be honest I never wanted a tablet until I got mine at the Pdc and I truly enjoy it and use it a lot.

I remember people saying that it was under $800 but Im not sure:

http://www.microsoftpdc.com/tablet

FWIW: The PDC Tablet PC isn't actually a "Tablet PC" per se. The included stylus doesn't have passive electronics in it. There are elements to using a Tablet PC that you can't experience on this machine, such as stylus hover (without touch), press and hold for right click, and high quality handwriting digitization.

As for Tablets (I love them BTW, I have a Motion M1200, HP HC1000, and HP TX2) here are some recent tablets to take a look at. These are also all multitouch as well as being Tablet PC's. I'm including the multitouch tech type, since that matters to many of us and isn't always easy to discern on a product page.

Acer 1820PT (capacitive touch)

Asus PCT101MT (resistive touch)

Dell Latitude XT (capacitive touch)

Dell Latitude XT2 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu Lifebook T4310 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu Lifebook 5010 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu T900 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu TH700 (capacitive touch)

Fujitsu T730 (capacitive touch)

Gigabyte T1000P (capacitive touch)

HP TouchSmart TX2 (capacitive touch)

HP TM2 (capacitive touch)

HP 2740P (capacitive touch)

Lenovo ThinkPad X201 (capacitive touch)

Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3T (capacitive touch)

Panasonic CF-U1 (resistive touch)

I think I'm going to do an all-up post on C9 soon on all the multitouch/tablet devices that have recently come out. Keep an eye out.

• User profile image
    intelman

I have the HP Touchsmart TM2t. It is a great piece of equipment. 

Works great on http://muro.deviantart.com/ , wacom FTW.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

SlackmasterK said:
    contextfree` said:
    *snip*

So I ended up ordering:

So that fits your specs as well as mine Smiley  Except screen size.  Now you're looking at 4 times as much.

Win7, bluetooth, 802.11 b/g/n, 5 hours...

Been playing with the tablet for several days now. Very nice for the price.

The only problem with inking is that sometimes when you release the stylus, the screen will think you suddenly swiped about 3mm down and to the left. Easy enough to fix with a quick undo.

Would not suggest trying to use this thing with the stock 1GB RAM though; it's plenty slow enough.

Runs well enough for basic productivity tasks, though I only use it for OneNote.

Has dual cores, or something like them, but they're both about as fast as a retarded blind paraplegic turtle swimming upstream in molasses.  Comes with the Touch Pack, but barely able to run anything in it.  Far from smooth.

Multitouch.  By multi, in this case, they mean two. But that's two more than my existing systems.

Small SSD, but easy enough to work around by not installing software due to its slowness and by adding a 32GB SD card. Additional storage available via USB, so not stuck in the size of the drive.

For reference: There is only one SODIMM slot, so I was right to buy a single 2GB SODIMM instead of two.  Apparently the maximum is 2GB, but I can't tell why.  They go up to 4GB.

Keyboard is too small to use effectively, but laptop keyboards are rarely ideal - let alone tablets. I plug in an external.

Small, light, convenient to use. Would buy again.

• User profile image
    Bas

SlackmasterK said:
    SlackmasterK said:
    *snip*

Been playing with the tablet for several days now. Very nice for the price.

The only problem with inking is that sometimes when you release the stylus, the screen will think you suddenly swiped about 3mm down and to the left. Easy enough to fix with a quick undo.

Would not suggest trying to use this thing with the stock 1GB RAM though; it's plenty slow enough.

Runs well enough for basic productivity tasks, though I only use it for OneNote.

Has dual cores, or something like them, but they're both about as fast as a retarded blind paraplegic turtle swimming upstream in molasses.  Comes with the Touch Pack, but barely able to run anything in it.  Far from smooth.

Multitouch.  By multi, in this case, they mean two. But that's two more than my existing systems.

Small SSD, but easy enough to work around by not installing software due to its slowness and by adding a 32GB SD card. Additional storage available via USB, so not stuck in the size of the drive.

For reference: There is only one SODIMM slot, so I was right to buy a single 2GB SODIMM instead of two.  Apparently the maximum is 2GB, but I can't tell why.  They go up to 4GB.

Keyboard is too small to use effectively, but laptop keyboards are rarely ideal - let alone tablets. I plug in an external.

Small, light, convenient to use. Would buy again.

How does it perform when running Onenote? That's pretty much the main thing I'd use it for.

Also how is using Onenote on one of those things in general? Is the screen size a problem? Is the tablet way of working with Onenote worth it?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.