• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Hi All,

Come across this, seems intresting.....

http://bend.codeplex.com/

Bend

• User profile image
    CKurt

It has syntax highlighting and it's extensible. Nice!

• User profile image
    exoteric

Modern editor. You wouldn't know it from that particular screenshot. It's a fairly nice minimalistic editor. I don't like that it uses text for window icons (min, max, close). Will have to try it out to see what it can do...

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Looks cool. The UI, while good, looks a little confused about what it is trying to be. I cannot tell if it fits into a niche that I need. I have notepad at one end and Visual Studio at the other...

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Reminds me of DarkRoom (no frills to distract from the writing of text), but oriented to developers (hence the syntax highlighting).

If it had a full-screen mode that hid the Win7 taskbar it would really cut down on the distractions.

Herbie

• User profile image
    giovanni

Love the look, I really hope this project keeps going and inspires some more.

• User profile image
    qvp

The search is great and the syntax highlighting is nice, but there are a few issues that would prevent my from using it.

-There is no border around the window so if it is over another white window you can't see the edge of bend.

-There is no border around the separate tabs, just a red dot.

-The min, max, quit labels look horrible compared to the standard icons, max doesn't even change to restore when bend is maximized.

• User profile image
    fabian

qvp said:

The search is great and the syntax highlighting is nice, but there are a few issues that would prevent my from using it.

-There is no border around the window so if it is over another white window you can't see the edge of bend.

-The min, max, quit labels look horrible compared to the standard icons, max doesn't even change to restore when bend is maximized.

search is not great. I just tried open an xslt file and do a search for a word that occours multiple times in the document. It only highlighed the first hit.

Besides that it looks pretty nice.

• User profile image
    giovanni

qvp said:

I like that there is no border, but you are right over another white window it mioght be confusing, do you think a shadow would do?

I don't like the red dot either

I also agree on the min max icons

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

giovanni said:
    qvp said:
    *snip*

I like that there is no border, but you are right over another white window it mioght be confusing, do you think a shadow would do?

I get a drop shadow on Vista.

I thought the red dot was a "pending edits" indicator till I realized I hadn't edited anything yet.

I also agree on the min/max/close icons.

• User profile image
    qvp

giovanni said:
    qvp said:
    *snip*

I don't get a shadow on XP nor on Windows 7. I think a shadow would help determine the edges of the window, but I'm not a big fan of the drop shadow on Mac OS X because it goes around the entire window and just doesn't look 'correct' to me.

@fabian: Yeah, after using Bend for a few days I have noticed that the search isn't very reliable after all.

I have finally given up trying to use Bend as my primary quick editor and have gone back to notepad. I gave it up because it takes 2-3 seconds to launch and notepad pretty much instantaneous.

• User profile image
    figuerres

BEND - did it go round the b END ????

anyone know what happened to it??

seems to be pulled off codeplex.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

figuerres said:

Hopefully it wasn't chock-full of malware. I would imagine that a few people around here would be irritated. I installed it, and found it to be very responsive. Even subtle details, like how the window would drag across the screen, were silky.

-Josh

• User profile image
    Red5

figuerres said:

Yeah, where did it go? I'd like to play with it...anyone have the original install available?

• User profile image
    Pace

Red5 said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Yeah, where did it go? I'd like to play with it...anyone have the original install available?

+1

• User profile image
    giovanni

JoshRoss said:
    figuerres said:
    *snip*

Hopefully it wasn't chock-full of malware. I would imagine that a few people around here would be irritated. I installed it, and found it to be very responsive. Even subtle details, like how the window would drag across the screen, were silky.

-Josh

Malware? What?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.