Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Microsoft Prototype Keyboard

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • CKurt

Awesome!! Very nice concept , let's hope we see it in the stores someday. Awesome concepts.

• Richard.Hein

I really like the VS concepts. 

• ryanb

Oooo!  I like it!  Now we're talking.  Great stuff.

I wonder if it can be done and still have decent tactile keys.  Doesn't look inexpensive though.

• ManipUni

I wouldn't buy one; but it is obviously not aimed at me - it is aimed at new users. With that in mind it might be a successful product since it brings the computer closer to the user (or the user closer to the computer). I might buy one for my mom, assuming the price point was fine and the software support was already in place.

PS - "I would buy one for my mom" is a compliment

• androidi

I like the idea that the icons/descriptions on top of the keys of a keyboard could be changed, for learning say some tool like emacs or whatever where there's various functions behind shift keys or foreign layout. Besides the learning new key mapping/layout purpose I'm not too keen on the idea of having to look at the keyboard.

But even that isn't without pitfalls. The application supporting these changing keytop icons should definitely still say that "key F1 does this" rather than just "(icon on where the F1 key WAS does this -> lets not say what it does, just look at the damn keyboard and imagine what this obscure looking 5x5 pixel might represent) otherwise it's making it just more annoying for those who know where F1 is. You'd have to look up those icons each time for each program rather than just remember that the functionality is in the USUAL location of F1. Embarrassed to admit I hadn't thought this one when I last discussed this sort of keyboard here. It's purely a software issue though, however it's easy to see that if these became instantly cheap and popular, lot of devs would probably forgo mentioning on the F1 on wherever it was mentioned before and just used fancy icons all over the place.

^ The point I tried to make is that if this sort of programmable layout keyboard became 'standard' everywhere it might actually lead to the issue similar to when keyboard OEMs change location of keys on the keyboard. Transferring learned key location from one program to another could become issue. Not a huge issue but still it's a bit like learning to drive again when turning wheel left turns car right if you switch from one driving simulator to next?

For control purposes I would like a keyboard with proper knobs(s) that could be assigned to sliders or knobs in program just like those midi knobs/sliders in music production gear. So my ideal keyboard would have a reassignable volume knob and a pitch bend style knob (defaults to "middle = 0" and can be pulled and pushed from that center point) that could be used to control eg. page scrolling or seeking in a song (with quick push/pull going to next song for example). Of course first they'd have to make web pages *Scroll SMOOTHLY*! as in, sub-pixels at a time or have 200+ DPI display. It's just ugly how IE8 scrolls if you press middle button and adjust it to scroll the minimum amount which could be neat if you have a whole book on single page and have it just super silky smoothly and slowly scroll while reading it, no need to flip pages! Woot. Smiley (of course that's not really doable with the pitch bend wheel as it resets when you take your hand off it)

• magicalclick

Screen > keyboard > screen > keyboard > sreen > keyboard. This video makes me dizzy. I do like the idea of holding ctrl/alt/shift/win will show the actions, because most people don't remember them. But, remember not to hide the original characters, because, when I say do "ctrl + C" the keyboard better not hide my "C" key. Otherwise I would be furious when the person says "where is C?"

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • giovanni

Living in a country with AZERTY keyboards and not being used to it, I would love to see this concept come to life (the Optimus Maximus is way too expensive as it is).

• magicalclick

giovanni said:

Living in a country with AZERTY keyboards and not being used to it, I would love to see this concept come to life (the Optimus Maximus is way too expensive as it is).

now, come to think of your need. I just realized how bad would this keyboard would be. Fancy and "unrealiable". It is like those horrifying Toyota electronic breaks although keyboard does not kill people. I am not sure I am willing to give up realiability over a heavy driver based keyboard. I lack the patience to deal with evil keyboard.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • spivonious

Neat idea, but without modifying each application you use, it's kind of worthless. If this was ever produced, they would need to make it very easy to setup application profiles.

• rjdohnert

spivonious said:

Neat idea, but without modifying each application you use, it's kind of worthless. If this was ever produced, they would need to make it very easy to setup application profiles.

Completely awesome, Jamie as an artist what could you do with a device like this?

• DCMonkey

The keyboard part reminds me of the Optimus Maximus Keyboard  

I like the touch strip display but I don't know that I'd want to be reaching up to touch it like that all the time. I wonder how well it would work below the keyboard as an extra wide programmable touchpad display.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.