Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE download manager FINALLY!!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

Finally I can rest in peace for a bit. So, the leaked assumed fake download manager screenshot is indeed real, see neowin. And it is just as I wanted, a "saved at folderName" button. Obviously it may still do the waky save as previous saved location for "those" people. But, at least now, I can click manager and click folder instead of doing a file search through out the entire C drive (assume I know the file name).

Also the cry has been heard in advance. It is said to be minimalistic similar to Chorme, YESSSSSSS.

So,

1) download manager, check

2) no more cursed offline-mode pop-up, IE7/8 check.

3) clean minimal easier UI, check.

I hope I can drag a tab out though. So many time I want to areo snap and realized I cannot do that with tabs. I have to use two IE, which takes many mouse clicks and copy and paste the URL.

And hopfully the new "UI frame" solved the single tab freez entire window problem.

Should IE open to stuff like GreaseMonkey and AdBlock? Hmmm.... tough call.... I don't like those GreaseMonkey cheaters on Facebook FarmVille. And AdBlock? Handy to block slow FarmVille animals, but, I don't like how people block real ads. Those two are major in FF and yet, arguebly they are evil.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    fabian

Now i know what feature to disable first.

What is wrong with the current "Open or Save" options? I have a hard time recall the last time a download failed ... no mater how big the file size is.

I hate download stuff in firefox ... you need to click "a million time" before you finally open the file you just downloaded. So thanks, but no thank you for the download manager, if i have to perform just one more click, than in IE 8.

Disclaimer: i have a fiber connection and not a crappy dail up connection. Remember issues 10 years ago when having a dail up and would have loved to have the download manager then ...

• User profile image
    ManipUni

fabian said:

What is wrong with the current "Open or Save" options? I have a hard time recall the last time a download failed ... no mater how big the file size is.

I hate download stuff in firefox ... you need to click "a million time" before you finally open the file you just downloaded. So thanks, but no thank you for the download manager, if i have to perform just one more click, than in IE 8.

Disclaimer: i have a fiber connection and not a crappy dail up connection. Remember issues 10 years ago when having a dail up and would have loved to have the download manager then ...

Agreed.

Firefox thinks we're little kids so we have to download, then wait 3 seconds, then click, then click some more, then wait for the virus scan, and then MAYBE it MIGHT load the folder with the executable in it which you can then click on.

Internet Explorer, run, and you're done. It also deletes the temp' file for you which is often what you want.

• User profile image
    spivonious

More than a download manager, I want it to download the file to the location I choose, rather than downloading to temp and copying over when it's finished. What's the reasoning behind that decision?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

fabian said:

If it supports restarts then it's handy, if your downloading something like the VS-2010 VHD (16x700Mb), sometimes I want to turn my PC off while downloading.

Anyway, can't see myself moving from FreeDownloadManager any time soon.  The are plenty of other things higher on my wish list for IE than a download manager, but any improvement is welcomed.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

PerfectPhase said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

If it supports restarts then it's handy, if your downloading something like the VS-2010 VHD (16x700Mb), sometimes I want to turn my PC off while downloading.

Anyway, can't see myself moving from FreeDownloadManager any time soon.  The are plenty of other things higher on my wish list for IE than a download manager, but any improvement is welcomed.

I think some restart logic is already built in to IE. I recall some times if I accidentally cancel a download, attempting to redownload the item will bring the progress bar right where it left off. Maybe it only works if you're in the same session?

Oh, that reminds me, I hope the download dialog uses modern icons.

• User profile image
    wkempf

You know, when you make a post like this it would be beneficial to link to what the *&%# you're talking about.

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-9-build-reveals-new-download-manager

This doesn't look like it does what you think it does. Yes, there's a button to open the location where the item was downloaded, but that has existed in the non-download manager version for as long as I can recall. With a download manager you get the benefit of having this link hang around longer, but it's not permanent. Nor is it likely to change the behavior of saving to the last location you saved to, which is really what you claimed to have wanted. If this design makes you happy, great, but it's not at all what you described in that thread before.

• User profile image
    androidi

spivonious said:

More than a download manager, I want it to download the file to the location I choose, rather than downloading to temp and copying over when it's finished. What's the reasoning behind that decision?

THIS. And there's no need for download manager (UI). Just make sure the download algorithm isn't a stupid one that stops the download before it's completed if it was coming along fine for a while. This also implies that if that if power was unplugged/battery ran out and you startup again, the whole browser state is restored. With SSD or hybrid HDD's implementing this shouldn't require spinning HDD.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

wkempf said:

You know, when you make a post like this it would be beneficial to link to what the *&%# you're talking about.

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-9-build-reveals-new-download-manager

This doesn't look like it does what you think it does. Yes, there's a button to open the location where the item was downloaded, but that has existed in the non-download manager version for as long as I can recall. With a download manager you get the benefit of having this link hang around longer, but it's not permanent. Nor is it likely to change the behavior of saving to the last location you saved to, which is really what you claimed to have wanted. If this design makes you happy, great, but it's not at all what you described in that thread before.

That's why I said, it probably still save to the previous location. But that "Saved At FolderName" is 100000%  better than me doing a C drive search with unknown file name.

Oh yeah, FYI, just "what I wanted" is actually refering to the newer idea I had about one month ago, which I didn't post. Oops.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

spivonious said:

Not sure why you assume you cannot specify the location you choose. Especially IE is government complient.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    mdtauk

I am hoping for a Zune UI or at least something Metro inspired...

• User profile image
    ZippyV

mdtauk said:

I am hoping for a Zune UI or at least something Metro inspired...

That's not going to work on a big screen.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ZippyV said:
    mdtauk said:
    *snip*

That's not going to work on a big screen.

Yes it will. The Media Center UI is essentially Metro-derived as well (or the other way around, I don't recall).

• User profile image
    Bas

I wonder how people who are wishing for a Metro UI in IE are imagining this. I can't think of any way in which it could work.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas said:

I wonder how people who are wishing for a Metro UI in IE are imagining this. I can't think of any way in which it could work.

Neither can I, but it's not because it's a big screen UI. That's all I'm saying. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Sven Groot said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Neither can I, but it's not because it's a big screen UI. That's all I'm saying. Smiley

Very true.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.