Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Windows 7 professional woes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Ok guys here be the situation, any help would be appreciated.  I found this computer company in New York that I buy all my hardware from, and I had even purchased a copy of office from them.  Well my hard drive went bye bye, so I bought a new one.  With it I bought a copy of Windows 7 professional OEM, well when i got the software it had a Windows Vista to Windows 7 Pro upgrade key.  so i cintacted the company and they claimed it would work that there is no reason it should work, blah blah blah.  So I installed it, it didnt work.  Now this is a copy of Windows 7 Professional OEM, its not a burned CD its the holographic DVD that Microsoft issues came with everything but the key.  So I contacted the company, the company told me that I could not activate online that I had to activate over the phone, or alternatively I could give their techs remote access to my PC and they could activate it for me, dont know if I have STUPID tattoes anywhere on my body but I aint doing that.  Now I want to be Genuine and not using hacks on the net to activate Windows so I contacted Microsoft and I was put on hold and transferred from department to department to department for about 2 hours before I finally came accross somebody who just kept repeating to me that software Piracy was illegal like a mantra.  so if someone could give me a hand I would really appreciate it.  PM me or mail me, my e-mail is rjdohnert_at_gmail_dot_com.  Thanks in advance

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Just for clarity can you install it using that CD Key at all? Like right now are you stuck at the installer or are you on a "You have 30 days to activate."

Frankly if you purchased a copy of Windows 7 OEM and they sold you Windows 7 upgrade then you've been ripped off. Windows 7 upgrade is worth less and has licence restrictions.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

ManipUni said:

Just for clarity can you install it using that CD Key at all? Like right now are you stuck at the installer or are you on a "You have 30 days to activate."

Frankly if you purchased a copy of Windows 7 OEM and they sold you Windows 7 upgrade then you've been ripped off. Windows 7 upgrade is worth less and has licence restrictions.

Im stuck on the Install.  Back on with Microsoft support, been 20 minutes already and still on hold.

• User profile image
    Minh

Sounds like they gave you a bad key... perhaps one they've used on countless other machines!

If I were you, I'd demand an actual key that doesn't require phone activation. Because that's THE sign that the key's been used before.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

rjdohnert said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Im stuck on the Install.  Back on with Microsoft support, been 20 minutes already and still on hold.

Why are you not using pc/os?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Minh said:

Sounds like they gave you a bad key... perhaps one they've used on countless other machines!

If I were you, I'd demand an actual key that doesn't require phone activation. Because that's THE sign that the key's been used before.

Maybe but he cannot even install. He isn't even getting to the activation stage. 

I would just return it. Microsoft cannot help you. If they're mis-selling Windows 7 Upgrade licences then that is fraud. I would return or failing that contact my bank/card agency.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

vesuvius said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*

Why are you not using pc/os?

I still use PC/OS, but I also like to have a couplke of workinG Windows and Mac computers.  Microsoft finally helped, this time got a hold of someone.  They told me to send them the media and purchase details, receipt name of the business and contact info and correspondance and they will send me a copy of Windows 7.  At this point I dont care if they send me a copy of Windows Home Premium.

• User profile image
    figuerres

rjdohnert said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I still use PC/OS, but I also like to have a couplke of workinG Windows and Mac computers.  Microsoft finally helped, this time got a hold of someone.  They told me to send them the media and purchase details, receipt name of the business and contact info and correspondance and they will send me a copy of Windows 7.  At this point I dont care if they send me a copy of Windows Home Premium.

Just to be clear:

so Microsoft is going to go after the rat and you are getting a good copy of windows direct from MS ?

if so that sounds good Smiley

just sucks that you are having to wait for the good copy.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

figuerres said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*

Just to be clear:

so Microsoft is going to go after the rat and you are getting a good copy of windows direct from MS ?

if so that sounds good Smiley

just sucks that you are having to wait for the good copy.

Yep that is correct.  Im heading out to Staples to get a padded envelope.  I dont get why the first time I called they couldnt do that.  I guess there was just a miscommunication somewhere along the line.  I used to think that Windows Activation was the biggest scam I had ever seen but after owning my own business and seeing how much custoimers try to screw you up by installing on multiple PC's and such I can honestly say I know why they do it.

• User profile image
    spivonious

rjdohnert said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Hopefully MS takes the company down.

• User profile image
    RLO

rjdohnert said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

NVM.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.